• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where to put lightroom catalog, etc. - external or internal HD?

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings

I have all of my Lightroom photos on an external hard drive (i.e. the actual photo files)

Where should I put the Lightroom Catalog folder, which contains the Lightroom Catalog, Catalog Previews, and Backups? Should those be on the external HD or or on my internal HD?

I also happen to have a few Temporary Import Data files. Are those files that I need to keep?

Thanks,

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalog files ought to go on the fastest disk, which is almost always the internal disk (unless there are strong reasons for putting it elsewhere).

I don't know what Temporary Import Data files are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Above. Put it on the fastest drive, usually the internal SSD. You can then place all your images on an external drive to save space on the internal drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks!

Is there any advantage to putting it on the external drive (which happens to be a RAID if that makes any difference)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actual catalog file has to be on a drive that is PHYSICALLY Connected to the computer LR is running on.

It CAN NOT be on a Networked drive.

So if this RAID array is connected directly to the computer you plan on using LR Classic on then I see no reason you can't put it on that drive array.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any advantage to putting it on the external drive

No advantage I can think of, and major disadvantages exist (most notable slower performance)

Could you back up and explain what your goal is that underlies all these questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As other said, Lightroom Catalog and previews, must be on a drive physically connected to the computer. It can be external or internal, but usually, internal drive is faster and therefore a better location.

However, BACKUPS must not be on the same drive as the Catalog (if the drive fails, you loose the Catalog AND the backups...). Ask LR to put them on an other drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines