• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Adobe insist on such confusing software names for the LightRoom products?

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Naming 101, from the first day of software design in 1979, is make your file names different enough that you can distinguish them when you return. I do not use LightRoom everyday. Or even every month. But I sure pay for it. When I come to open it up I need to figure out which program I am clicking on. I don't get it. It seems to be set up to intentionally make users mess up their libraries. I have had to backtrack once. This is a colossal error. Guaranteed to make the software less appealing and less useful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't work for Adobe, so, have no way of knowing why they name the products as they do, and with the confusion that it causes customers. That being said, Lightroom Classic (i.e. the version that's been around since 2006/7 has an icon with the letters 'LrC' whereas the desktop version that forms part of the cloud ecosystem has an icon with just the letters 'Lr'. The lettering also applies to your catalogs.

Hope above helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, that is what a lot of us are wondering. We are all just users like yourself. And there doesn't seem to be any logical answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you asking us? You should ask Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help you with that one, but I did consider it a bizarre nomenclature decision when Adobe chose to change an application the whole world has known from year dot to Lightroom Classic. 

Classic is a very cutesy, rustic, naive, homespun sort of word.  It doesn't exude an image of technological progess.  With Classic, I think of little white-haired old grannies tinkering with kitten and puppy photographs whist chicken broth is bubbling away on the range.

I mean, FFS, why didn't they just leave things how they were and name the icloud app, er, Lightroom Cloud?      

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? Probably because they want us all to go to the cloud version ulitmately. But as I've just expanded to a 24TB catalof drive. I'd hate to be paying that as a monthly sub. They don't even have a sliding scale of rates. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Everyone wonders the same thing all the time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines