Exit

Flash Media Server 3.5 and Mac Mini Server

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2010 Mar 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Evening.

I'm in Worcestershire, England, UK.

Is it possible to stream Flash video clips, using Flash Media Server 3.5 from an Apple Mac Mini Server.

I currently stream through a professional streaming company at considerable cost. However, I don't want to go

down the Youtube route as my streaming quality is far superior to that. I could have managed server space through my hosting

company, but would rather cut out the middle men. Has anyone had experience of streaming their own media and does

it work, i.e on the Adobe website it refers to FMS 3.5 as streaming straight from the box!!! Does it do this in practice.

I have around 20 websites and in the trials, they were getting low volumes of around 300mb per month, each.

Andrew.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Mac version of FMS, so I don't think that would work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, but doesn't the linux version work on a mac?

I'm a bit confused here.

I currently shoot video on a Canon mini dv camera and edit in Apple imovie.

Convert to Apple Quicktime and then import into Flash 8 video encoder.

I ftp the clips upto a flash server, from my mac and upload the playlist to my website host

using Flash 8.

Don't tell me i've now got to get one of those dreadful PC thingies to complete the loop,

surely Adobe didn't invent this wonderful piece of software so it could run from a PC?

Or did they?

Andrew C-B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supplementary to my last, when I spoke to an Adobe consultant in the US a few nights ago, he said it wouldn't work on

my imac, but it would work on my Mac book pro because it had an intel chip.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry to report but our only current supported platforms for FMS right now are Windows and Linux.

You're welcome to try running it on Darwin - but last I did it wasn't effective.  You need to manipulate FMS a lot to run off Linux into a BSD variant, not sure it'll work.  Anyway, you should really consider running FMS on a supported platform.

Asa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines