• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For those of you that haven't received the email around the Adobe Muse EOL, see the FAQ Product Announcement that tries to answer some the common questions around the announcement including the reasons behind the decision.

Before we proceed with discussing alternatives, the Muse application will continue to open on your computer. You will be able to continue to edit existing or create new websites with the application. Adobe Muse will continue to be supported until May 20, 2019 and will deliver compatibility updates with the Mac and Windows OS or fix any bugs that might crop up when publishing Muse sites to the web. However, it is quite possible that web standards and browsers will continue to change after Adobe stops support for the application.

While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage, the FAQ link above provides some alternatives. Also, Adobe is making our own investment in DIY website creation and welcomes all Muse customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced this year as part of Adobe Spark. Build a beautiful website—in minutes | Adobe Spark

That being said, I would like to open up this discussion for discussing other solutions and migration paths. It would be ideal if we could focus our efforts on the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 2432 Replies 2432
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which news?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to my previous post. I called Adobe Customer Service again and asked for an exception to their no refunds policy due to the timing of the announcement. Surprisingly, they agreed.

Of course, the bummer with cloud apps is that I now have no access to the software. Boxed software certainly had some advantages...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO PEOPLE SUGGESTING WE LEARN CODING:

Let me say that for a person like me to learn coding, and there are many of us out there, we aren't lazy. I used to know Dreamweaver. But when u make a few sites and don't update more than once or twice a year, you forget how to use the apps and how coding works. I also had to brush up on Muse as I forgot that in between. So, for all of you coders looking down on the people that are 'lazy' and can't bother to learn code, I apologize, but I am one of those. This is my life: I have an art show coming up in July, which means, painting everyday, framing, and I have 2 stores, one where I make jewelry and one where I sell artwork and that includes packing, shipping and making runs to the Post Office, plus I do commercial illustration, oh, and not to mention protocols every day b/c of health issues. So yeah, if u call that lazy, then that's what i and a lot of other people are. I don't want to hear it anymore. Some people need wysiwyg and we were thankful Muse was there. There's a need for it and that's all there is to it. Rant over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Illostraight:

Let me say that for a person like me to learn coding, and there are many of us out there, we aren't lazy. I used to know Dreamweaver. But when u make a few sites and don't update more than once or twice a year, you forget how to use the apps and how coding works. I also had to brush up on Muse as I forgot that in between. So, for all of you coders looking down on the people that are 'lazy' and can't bother to learn code, I apologize, but I am one of those. This is my life: I have an art show coming up in July, which means, painting everyday, framing, and I have 2 stores, one where I make jewelry and one where I sell artwork and that includes packing, shipping and making runs to the Post Office, plus I do commercial illustration, oh, and not to mention protocols every day b/c of health issues. So yeah, if u call that lazy, then that's what i and a lot of other people are. I don't want to hear it anymore. Some people need wysiwyg and we were thankful Muse was there. There's a need for it and that's all there is to it. Rant over.

I say 'hear hear!'

Thanks for writing this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(agreeing with GARRogers and Illostraight)

Absolutely, absolutely RIGHT!

We are artists and designers, we want to create and not bother about any stupid semicolon too many in the code and where to find it, we do not want to think about wtf in that shitty code keeps any box to stay where it is supposed to stay, we want to and we need to create immediately without any further obstacles. This exactly what Muse was created for: people like us. Anyone who tells us "go learn code" has no idea about an artist's mentality.

And yes, I DID LEARN to code - and I know why I hate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illostraight  wrote

Let me say that for a person like me to learn coding, and there are many of us out there, we aren't lazy.

I don't think anyone here is telling you to learn code or that non-coders are lazy.   It's your choice to learn it or not.  I don't think it matters to anyone except you.

If you're selling websites for profit and your clients ask for features that you can't provide because you can't work  with code, then you're putting yourself at risk for failure.   Your clients will seek out a competitor.   It's as simple as that.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then u haven't read all the posts. There are many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illostraight  wrote

Then u haven't read all the posts. There are many.

No I guess I haven't .  This thread reads like a tome --  29 pages (so far) and no end in sight... 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the 5 sites hosted on Business Catalyst that came with an adobe creative cloud subscription (and still subscribed) and are listed as "paid sited" still hosted till the BC March 2021 EOL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tangentcreative  wrote

Are the 5 sites hosted on Business Catalyst that came with an adobe creative cloud subscription (and still subscribed) and are listed as "paid sited" still hosted till the BC March 2021 EOL?

yes ... if they have been launched but temp sites are not and you can't make any more temp sites after 18th June this year

Product Announcement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Thank time to move sites or redevelop on new platform. I think Muse be viable and last longer than we think. I still have an active iWeb site and apple EOL'd iWeb in 2011. haha. it a personal portfolio site and serves its purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got of the phone with three people from Adobe Muse support:

1. it is definitely dead.

2. They don't care if it will cost us time and money to migrate our websites, but they will  tell you how wonderful XD and Dreamweaver are.

3. The only thing they know about Spark is that it won't replace Muse.

4. If I want to make sure my OS supports Muse in the future, then I should never update my OS.

5. They may have a Muse replacement in the future, but I wasn't given any assurance that that is even true.

6. They gave me three months free on my CC subscription. Pfft.

It's time to abandon Adobe for good. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm gonna try and ask for 3 months free! what did you say to get it and who did you contact!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jack_ttcoms I just bitched about how much it's going to cost me to migrate all my sites. Three months doesn't even put a tiny dent in it, but I'll take whatever I can get. Ask to talk to a supervisor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First it was Encore (DVDs), now Muse. Still no replacement for Encore and DVDs haven't completely gone out of use. Sending videos anywhere is a headache, YouTube aside. My current code knowledge is insufficient for Dreamweaver really

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to point out to everyone that those suggesting you learn to code, are only giving advice.

Learning to code or not is each individuals decision, those suggesting it are not trying to be 'one up' on none coders, but will also never be in your situation if a program they use is discontinued. Html, etc it transferable to any code editor or web ide, so if it disapears they simply move to another, (often free) alternative.

Without any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to point out to everyone that those suggesting you learn to code, are only giving advice.

Learning to code or not is each individuals decision, those suggesting it are not trying to be 'one up' on none coders, but will also never be in your situation if a program they use is discontinued. Html, etc it transferable to any code editor or web ide, so if it disapears they simply move to another, (often free) alternative.

Without any problems.

Likewise, people advising to ignore coding and go visual are only giving advice.

It is an individual decision in either case, no need to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt. Suppose you learned to code Angular webapps. Guess what, Angular 2 is completely different, learn from scratch. Things happen in all contexts.

Is coding a valuable skill? You bet. Can you do it as a part time thing, 2 hours a week. Maybe... or maybe not. Maybe you have a strong memory for numbers and codes. I do. Maybe your strong suit is words, color or music, no need to stubbornly relearn CSS every couple months.

Everything in life has cost and value. An old quote: "Linux is only free if your time has no value" (Jamie Zawinski, one of the original authors of Netscape).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duncan Wilcox

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Duncan+Wilcox  wrote

no need to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt

That is not what is occurring here at all, trying to project that it is irresponsible in and of itself. We've already stated these people are free to do whatever is best for them, they can take what they desire from any of these discussions and make decisions on their own merits, needs and desires.

An old quote: "Linux is only free if your time has no value" (Jamie Zawinski, one of the original authors of Netscape).

Not sure how relevant your chosen quote is?

Given the time period in which he said it. But you can also find him stating “Linux is a great thing” , “today, I use Linux as my primary OS” , “Linux has improved a great deal since I wrote this, specifically with respect to its ease of installation.” during the same time period. One can only imagine in todays world and the popularity and advancements of Linux he does not feel that at all.

Likewise mentioning Netscape during that time period has little importance either. Funny enough comparatively to this Muse conversation, back then Navigator had a hard time keeping up with, crashed and was buggy as web standards moved forward, even CSS. Quite similar to Muse, in various aspects of keeping pace.

https://frankchimero.com/writing/everything-easy-is-hard-again/

Again differences simply in how you choose to look at it ? Other people see it differently.

https://medium.com/@mattront/making-websites-is-easy-a18f2d33fcd8

--------------

As the developer of Sparkle I would still really like to hear your response on this, you never responded.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10284220#10284220

As well as these aspects:

• How do you plan to handle the convergence to Sparkle of Muse sites that use Business Catalyst, CMS and many Widgets for features?
  • Do you plan to develop various popular Widget features that Muse users commonly use and desire directly in your app, or do you have an API entry point for 3rd party developers to add these features from existing Muse Widgets into Sparkle?
  • Does Sparkle support easy implementation of CMS and backend features like Muse and Business Catalyst, what are the options or your plans there?
  • How will all the new converts to Sparkle receive help and assistance, is there a user to user Forum? If not will all questions and answers be just direct email contact with users and yourself? If so how will this information be shared to help other users?

You've stated you feel Sparkle is a good solution and alternative. So speaking regarding uncertainty and doubt please clear up those aspects with any misconceptions Muse users may have in moving to your product in regards those areas. I think its a really great opportunity here to speak directly with the developer of an app and find out how it is you plan to handle these facets and transition to your product for Muse users. It should be really beneficial for them to hear these things directly from you and help them with their decisions greatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does Adobe lose if it releases the source code of Muse and make it as an open source tool, similarly to WordPress?

In the life, it is common that people hand over (or give or sell) their old tools or goods to others when they do not need them anymore or when they do not use them anymore. Why Adobe does not do the same with Muse? Why not sell it or give it as a gift to its customers? What does Adobe lose from making Muse Open Source and what does it win from ending Muse?

That being said, Adobe will not lose anything by making Muse open source and will NOT win anything by ending it. However, making it open source would satisfy customers and let them have good positive opinions about Adobe and would keep them loyal to other Adobe products. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adamzer:

What does Adobe lose if it releases the source code of Muse and make it as an open source tool, similarly to WordPress?

In the life, it is common that people hand over (or give or sell) their old tools or goods to others when they do not need them anymore or when they do not use them anymore. Why Adobe does not do the same with Muse? Why not sell it or give it as a gift to its customers? What does Adobe lose from making Muse Open Source and what does it win from ending Muse?

That being said, Adobe will not lose anything by making Muse open source and will NOT win anything by ending it. However, making it open source would satisfy customers and let them have good positive opinions about Adobe and would keep them loyal to other Adobe products.

An earlier post said that Adobe would likely not do this because of patents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I did not see it.

But how a patent could prevent a tool from being an open source instead of stopped completely? If it is stopped or ended, a patent would not have any sense anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adamzer:

Sorry, I did not see it.

But how a patent could prevent a tool from being an open source instead of stopped completely? If it is stopped or ended, a patent would not have any sense anymore.

Not surprising that you didn't see it because there were so many emails.

Maybe there is something Adobe will use again, or at least a part of it again.

Then who knows, they may not want to give anything away. Maybe better to trash it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s probably a licensing issue, as adobe may use third party code in their programs and that third party code is (c). There may also be code of other Adobe products involved or the code is to near to the Indesing code or uses othe proprietary solutions.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting how the thread discussing who will pay for rebuilding these sites does not appear on the recent discussions list in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines