• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Muse sold by subscription only?

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm interested to know why Adobe has decided on a subscription based model for Muse (and the next version of Adobe CS?) as this seems to be the way a lot of software products are going?

I imagined Muse as a standalone boxed product rather than software as a service. What do you see as the advantages/disadvantages as far as the end user is concerned?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Muse will be sold only by subscription because it will allow the Muse team to improve the product more quickly and be more responsive to your needs.

Traditionally Adobe builds up a collection of new features over 12, 18 or 24 months, then makes those changes available as a major upgrade. New updates of Muse will be released much more frequently, probably quarterly. New features will be made available when they're ready, not held to be part of an annual or biannual major upgrade. This will enable

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what if you're in a region where you can't connect to the internet for 'verification'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just going to play a little bit of devil's advocate here...

I personally do not have much of an issue with paying a subscription fee at all. It's a paltry sum of money really - sure it could be a bit less, no-one ever complains about things being cheaper!

I've paid for subscription software numerous times in the past. Once I stopped using it, or had no need of it anymore, I simply stopped paying. Pretty straight forward yes? A hugely popular online game is subscription based (World of Warcraft and now Diablo III) - AND you have to fork out for the software itself AND you have to pay for any expansion packs. I don't see many people complaining about that (I know its a completely different piece of software, but the business model is essentially the same in many regards).

You see, if you just sell the product as is and lots of people buy it, then slowly over time that income stream becomes less and less until you release a new update which needs to have significant changes/upgrades in order for anyone to want to buy it. A lot of those people who bought the first version won't buy the newer one because they don't see any benefits in having the new features. Suddenly you're selling a lot less of the updated product than the original and income drops dramatically. By adding a subscription fee, it ensures that there is regular cashflow for the company to pay for their overheads. If they're not paying those overheads, then the company starts borrowing money to pay for them and hey - suddenly you have a global financial crisis! (A bit of a long bow to draw I know, but hopefully you get the picture...)

There are a LOT of subscription services out there that offer a lot less - web hosting anyone? Who pays for web hosting? Why can't you just pay one time for a space on a server and thats the end of it? No, they make you pay a monthly fee - for what? For lots of things! For one they have to pay some dude (We'll call him Bob) to sit there every Sunday to make sure nothing goes wrong. There are a myriad of costs to pay for, and once the initial uptake has tailed off then there is no money left for imprtant upgrades and so on... Next thing the company is no more, and all the servers get shut down or sold off to another company (who happens to be running a subscription model I might add...)

A one time fee, while it is nice, is NOT a very good business model for things like software because they are always changing things. I know what you're thinking "I want upgrades every week/month to address the problems I have because it doesn't do the same thing as this other piece of software that I can get for free anyway". Well that would be nice, but lets be realistic here! Nobody is forcing you to pay for anything! If you dont like it after one months subscription then hey! You have a choice, UNSUBSCRIBE and go somewhere else! Pretty simple yes?

I for one will most likely be paying for a 12 month sub after my trial runs out because quite frankly all the other solutions out there I have tried are rubbish with terrible support - and yes, I've spent a LONG time looking around for other solutions to replace that program that so many designers/developers love to hate - iWeb. Not to mention that in order to get any use beyond their boringly rigid templates and features, you have to go and pay for plugins which in turn only seems to make the whole experience a great big WOFTAM.

On the flipside of all this however is if you were charged a subscription for everything - then suddenly things are a lot less affordable, and it is up to the company to be realistic in their expectations of what people are willing to pay. Next thing you know you're paying a subscription for this, that and the other thing and it's costing you hundreds of dollars per month. Add to that the cost of living, paying for phone/internet/mortgage and so on - it all gets a bit crazy.

A possible solution to this would be to release a full featured version of a program on subscription, and a cut down/bare essentials version for general retail... I don't know - I'm just throwing ideas around now >.<

IMHO Adobes Creative Cloud pricing is quite prohibitive to a great many people like myself. If I had the option to use Creative Cloud and only select say PS and Muse for $16-20/mo for a 12 month subscription then perhaps I might be interested.

Its a difficult job trying to keep everyone happy!

❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 07, 2012 Jul 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, for those of you looking for an alternative to MUSE and do not want to have to Code you might want to try these plugins for Lightroom : http://shop.theturninggate.net/ . Since it's Adobe Lightroom they still got a "piece of the pie".

I was experimenting with it but when MUSE came out I put them aside. Now that I won't be using MUSE (because of the bugs and subscription model) I am back to experimenting with it. Everything is done in lightroom via modules from image galleries to full blown sites.

It is not as "easy" as MUSE but comparably it is feature rich and customizable.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You make good points in general, but considering we are discussing ADOBE, there's where the problem is.

1 - They do NOT listen to their customers, because if they did GoLive would still be a product.

2 - They can decide one day to kill the product, which then leaves all the users screwed because the code you do in muse can't be opened and updated in anything other than muse.  And when they realize the poos sales they are going to get from that software, who knows if they will just axe the software.

3 - Software companies are some of the most profitable businesses on the earth.  The margins are crazy high, which is fine to me, but now the profits are even greater with the lack of manufacturing a cd/dvd/manual/box/shipping/etc...

4 - The theory of lack of sales with new versions is not relivant.  For years Adobe survived witht his model, which when they updated software BASED ON THIER CUSTOMERS FEEDBACK, the customers actually purchased the new version (what a suprise), it wasn't until some new jackass leadership there, who cares more about stock price than customers, stopped listening to it's base and the updates were LACKING in many areas... THAT is why new versions of the software in Adobe's case have not been selling as well as liked... CS5.5 SCREAMED of that... such a desperate move to TRY to make a few extra bucks for a lack of features that warrant the price tag.  What Adobe seems to miss here is that the customers WOULD pay for a update, if the update was worth the price they put upon it.

5 - Subscriptions work fine for entertainment aspects, but from business aspects, they are poor investments.  When you have subscription based reliability, it means you need to rely on too many parts to survive: internet connection for varification, adobe server must be working, what if there's a billing error, the software goes away, etc... when you own the software you need power and the computer...

6 - Lack of developers... what developer is going to create anything on this platform? Especially when the customer base will be so small that it's not worth it.

7 - Price, lastly, Adobe could really do the right move here and sell it's software for a better price and then sell more of it.  In relation, they are the most expensive software for graphic creative.  If Apple purchased Adobe, the prices would drop.  If Apple made a vector and web program, Adobe would be hurting.

Pixelmaker - $14.99

Aperture - $79.99

Photoshop -  $999.99

... this says everything to WHY the sales are not strong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a graphic designer I depend heavily on Adobe software to earn my living, and I have to say that seeing this attempt to transition into a monthly fee-based payment structure makes me nervous.

I can understand Adobe wanting to combat piracy, make more $, etc., but I think this is the wrong way to go about it. I'm very interested in using Muse and I'll definitely download the trial, but I'm opposed to the idea of shelling out money on a monthly basis for a subscription. If Adobe decides to use this model for it's creative suite software, I really don't see myself getting on board with it.

On the positive side, I've been using Adobe Edge Animate recently and have been very happy with it. It's free, but I'd be happy to pay a flat fee for a license once the software has been refined a little more

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gavacho13. You use Adobe products to earn a living so you are familiar with the big price tags attached to their products. When you think about it Muse as a monthly fee is a lot cheaper than a one time fee. It is also easier to get a wider audience to try it with a smaller cost of entry. Muse would be $1000 give or take. That would equal to 6 years of a Muse subscription which includes updates and new features, which would not be included with a one time fee..you would be upgrading every year or so at another $300+.

At the end of the day all the worry we feel is that thought of being tied down, which is a new feeling when it comes to owning software from Adobe but now it seems to be the norm and will be in the near future so I say don't sweat it, use the trial than sub when you want to. Even at a one year plan it will only cost you $180. That is peanuts compared to the revenue that can be made from Adobe products.

The only real issue I see the majority of people having is that you can't pirate it. Plain and simple. I am not saying you of course but the loudest of the bunch. CS6 will be the last of their software that can be bought as a product. CS7 will for sure be an Saas business model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nonsense on the pricing. Dreamweaver is only $400 retail, and you think a program in development would be $1000?

I have the cloud subscription because (1) it doesn't require a huge outlay all at once (2) it's a direct business deduction since it is essentially a lease.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me why I should subrscribe.

I have my own host and ftp upload.

The contactforms woldn't even work that way

I make one or two sites in a year, for personal use.

So I must pay for just having acces to Muse.

Ok somethimes I need to update my Photo-gallery, but is that worth the subscription????

It should be sold like the other app's > PS/DW/Id/AI/Ae etc.....

Freedom I mean, something that works, but without subscribing.

Prove me wrong ??

B-jazz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ B-jazz,

Their are more WYSIWYG editors on the market you know. Feel free to use one of them. Most are either subscription based and require hosting on their servers only regardless if you use forms or not and the other ones are basic template based frameworks with little 'freedom' as you put it.

Maybe Muse is not the right software for you. See, simple solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my point here.

I love Muse all the way  great program, efficiant, simple to use, etc....

... but not the way they put it on the market, though.

I really do not understand why people can not just "buy "that program, like all the other Adobe products.

So the program itself YES all over.

The subscription can stay, but they should add a: Buy option to.

All my artist-friends think the same about Muse.

We are Art-creators, NOT buisness web-designers

If we have to pay monthy or yearly just to update a gallery or change the site appearence twice a year, it is sadly going to cost us much TO much!!

So at htis very moment we have to stick with the Free Compozer app, wich is not at all comparable with Muse of course, but we have no choice here, sadly enough

Message was edited by: Drawer002

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@drawer. If you only need to change images a couple times a year you can get a month for $25 bucks without a year commitment. Do all of the updates you need for the month and then cancel until you need to edit it again.

You should get use to the fact that Muse is a subscription based product because all fo their software will be very soon. They launched Creative cloud and I have a feeling it is here to stay. My guess is we will not see a phyiscal version when CS7 comes out. Spending hundreds of dollar on a product you claim will only be used a few times a year makes less sense than renting it for less.

If none of this works for you then, like I said before there are other software out their for making website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drawer002 wrote:

That was my point here.

I love Muse all the way  great program, efficiant, simple to use, etc....

... but not the way they put it on the market, though.

I really do not understand why people can not just "buy "that program, like all the other Adobe products.

So the program itself YES all over.

The subscription can stay, but they should add a: Buy option to.

All my artist-friends think the same about Muse.

We are Art-creators, NOT buisness web-designers

If we have to pay monthy or yearly just to update a gallery or change the site appearence twice a year, it is sadly going to cost us much TO much!!

So at htis very moment we have to stick with the Free Compozer app, wich is not at all comparable with Muse of course, but we have no choice here, sadly enough

Message was edited by: Drawer002

I totally understand, agree, and empathize with your point of view. "Choice" is the keyword here. Give your custumor base a choice to subscribe or purchase and make us (the ones who have made and continue to make you millionaires 10 times over) feel somewhat in control. Don't hold us hostage. I mean what can we do with the .muse files if we find we can't subscribe anymore (because it's too expensive) or worse, if Adobe decides to scrap the "project"? At least with a "boxed" version we can still keep updating until we are able to find another solution. I mean it's not like a .psd file where just about any imaging program can open it up and you can still keep working.

I think in the case of Muse, if you have a monthly subscription and are  "paid up" you should at least be given an "unlocked" version of the  "old" one when a new version becomes available. If you decide you can't  keep up with a subscription at least you can still keep your site viable  by using the last version you "paid up" on. Not just some hunk of junk  taking up space on your hard drive.

As a preemptive thought to you who say "your choice is to use it or not" or "take it or leave it": "Touche"! Well played you clever person(s)! Admittedly, nothing could be more true. But is that the way anyone really want's to do business or be treated by any business (rhetorical).? By the way, Microsoft, Apple, Google/Youtube and Facebook think Adobe's model is very attractive and are all considering a subscription based model for implementation in late 2014 with no "free" or "boxed" option to anyone, aymore, ever. Yup, just a subscription fee. In 2015, Intel and AMD will be impementing a monthly subscription fee for any device that uses their processors/hardware in addition to the initial cost of the item and your monthly ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint fees.  Hmmm, wonder how you all feel about that? Not the same thing? I think it is... Be careful how complacent you become in life...

Enough talking, I have to make money to pay for my Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription .

There are no "comebacks".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree... Yess

At least they should give us contactforms that will work "not only" with B-catalyst, tssss

They are not making it easy, though/

I suppose by changing the source code they will work on another host and Ftp, but that is not the aiming, with a program that claims or needs NO coding skills

Maybe it will change in the futeur, let's hope so....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2013 May 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the Muse trial and was ready to install it.  Found out it's subscription only and changed my mind.  I own CS5.5 and enjoy Adobe products but I will not make myself hostage to a subscription model when I only work on a few websites throughout the year.  If Adobe goes entirely cloud on their products I may switch altogether. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2013 May 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest i thought the exact same thing. I downloaded Muse, ran the trial and by the end of the trial i had done enough research and calculations on a boxed version vs a subscription. FOR ME, it turns out that a subscription is way better.... look at it this way, its like buying CS6 and taking a year to pay it if - CHEAPER with MORE products available. I have now taken out a subscription and love it.

Heres the questions to ask yourself.

How much did CS5 cost and how much would that be per month for a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. sure... what if i want take all my software to place where internet will be not an option? And why update cant be made as update package anyway? I dont mind if that will update my soft twice a day, bring it on. I like model which worked for very, VERY long time now and all was always perfect. I even like my colorful boxes on my shelve.

Cloud model is only in one thing better, it gather around more players (even if for a month) with credit card payments. It is well developed on pron adult chats... But in all those models other than by purchase boxed/standalone version will benefit only a provider of costly and meaningful service. All people can publish their files on their FTP servers, or even on free filehost services, like small companies do, or many GIGANTIC corporations too.

I used CS (2003) till CS3 (2007) had second run of updates. CS3 was used till CS6 (2012 just weeks before premiere as free upgrade to 5.5). I think i have MUCH more money in my pocket now than if i could be FORCED to pay for ALL software CONSTANTLY even between versions which i would not buy maybe.

Sorry, but that is simply not fair. It is only fair from Adobe point of view.

Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I think this makes sense for someone who is doing a regular, consistent amount of web design freelance. However, for me it's rare that I actually design & develop websites (I do more logos, animated motion graphics, etc.), so paying for a full year's subscription doesn't make any financial sense for me.

I have a friend who is paying for Adobe software on a month-to-month no-contract basis and simply charging the cost to his client, and that idea actually does make sense to me. So, if Adobe keeps the no-contract pay as you go options reasonable for Muse and other Edge or Creative Suite software, that will be an option worth considering for me if I can't get the job done with my paid-for copy of CS 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is a great program, i used the trial. i used to buy adobe software, i won't be subscribing, what a load of shit. it is only beneficial to adobe. i've upgraded lightroom as the new version comes out (it is cheaper than buying the new one) and if you don't feel the updates are enough for you individually, you aren't forced to put more money in adobes pockets. by subscribing you have no choice. guess it's back to torrenting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is Adobe trying to put small freelancer out of business by forcing us to purchase subscriptions? Big corporations, schools, and large studios can pass the cost. Freelancers can't just pass the cost. As is, we're expected to cut our prices down to compete with other countries as well as larger studios.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines