• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program Error saving photoshop files to Google drive

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, whenever I make a change to a Photoshop file that is saved on Google Drive and then try to save those changes, I keep getting this error:

Could not save “(filename)” because of a program error.

We use Google Drive at my job to save and share files between coworkers and computers. It has never been an issue until now.

I either have to delete the original file and save again or save as something else which is annoying and when you're trying to save your work as you go. I don't have any problems saving over a file that is on my hard drive. It's only when saving over a file in Google Drive.

I'm using macOS Catalina (version 10.15.16) and the most current version of Photoshop CC. 

There has to be some way to fix this. Help please!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Once again, Google Drive is not supported in Photoshop. It may work, for a while, under some conditions, but it may just as easily break again. You have to save locally and then copy to your Google Drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

I had this same problem until I found this thread. I downloaded the newest version of Google Drive, reinstalled, problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Thanks for the replies .. I did a Google Workspace update (only now avaible)  and the problem is solved. :heart_suit:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Update Google Workspace/Google Drive to correct this problem.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
60 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! In Photoshop version 23.01 for MAC, do you also encounter an error when trying to directly save changes to a job? How did you solve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving from Export > Save for Web? Or File > Save As...?

Are you saving to your local drive (e.g. your desktop)? Or a server, or an external drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll explain better: if I save an image after processing it (in any format), then apply changes and try to save it again with the same name (via the "save" or "save as" button), Photoshop generates a program error and does not allow to save. I am therefore obliged to change my name otherwise it is not possible to continue.
The error message that appears is:
"Unable to save" XXX "because a program error has occurred."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so:

Are you saving from Export > Save for Web? Or File > Save As...? 👉 File > Save

Are you saving to your local drive (e.g. your desktop)? Or a server, or an external drive? 👉 local drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps: just to know, I use the Gdrive folder locally on the PC that also copies online, but this problem occurs only with Photoshop and not with other Adobe programs.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you set the Google Drive to "Available Offline" do you save without program error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies .. I did a Google Workspace update (only now avaible)  and the problem is solved. :heart_suit:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still the same problem, working with the latest version of Ps V23.0.2.

It's worse saving files to Google Drive, always the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you stream files, your My Drive files are stored in the cloud. Hard drive space is only used when you open files and make them available offline.

The huge advantage of streaming is eliminated by making files "Available Offline"

Still the same issue on the latets version of Ps V23.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem until I found this thread. I downloaded the newest version of Google Drive, reinstalled, problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous that this is still happening - I have my drive set to "available offline" but still can't save files. This is literally costing me about 10% of my working hours every day. Just not good enough, and, like others have suggested, probably a deliberate ploy to get users to use abobes cloud solution rather than google drive...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge is not compatible with and doesn't support cloud services. You cannot reliably use them together. You must use different folders and manually snyc them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one is even talking about bridge??? This is a problem where photoshop does not let the user to save files directly from photoshop to a desktop mounted google drive) even if the drive / folder is set to "available offline"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I (and, looking at support community, many other users) are experiencing a SERIOUS issue on Photoshop - when editing a file saved on a desktop mounted google drive (even with "make available offline" turned on) photoshop refuses to save the file, simply giving a program error (non-specific)

As so many people use google drive for everyday work (including the ability to share work with others remotely in their team) this is a complete program breaker for me, and many other users, as it takes away the most core of core functions (being able to open a file, edit it, save it, and close it)

Any of the suggestions and fixes in support communities are NOT solutions in any way - eg, it's good practice to hit "save" intermittently to not lose work - I can't save each time with a new filename (as had been suggested), nor can I quit and restart google drive every time I want to save a file.

I am on the latest Mac OS 11.5.2, the latest photoshop 23.0.2 and have updated my google drive.

THIS MAJOR BUG NEEDS FIXED IMMEDIATELY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging with existing thread on the topic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to re-save a freshly created PSD, our file errors with 'Could not save 'Filename' because of a program error'. 

OK / Learn to Fix.

We've tried to solution steps except to roll back (update, hide all layers). Is this a known bug, or does anyone know a solution? We have to make a new file each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you save to your local drive/desktop?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving elsewhere, i.e. desktop, the file can re-save just fine. It's only Google Drive files. Google Drive is up to Date (56.0.9.0).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also on Mac OS 11.5.2 if that matteries, wondering if its a combination of OS X 11.5.2 and the recent Photoshop update (been frustratingly dealing with this for a few months).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its NOT a bug. Its a missing feature. Photoshop does not support remote volumes like Google Drive. Save locally and then copy/sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true, it is a bug. It was supported for the last unknown number of years, I've used Photoshop since the early 2000's and moved my files to local Google Drive as soon as that was a thing. It's only been the last few months that I can't re-save. Either a bug or a REMOVED feature to push the mediocre Adobe Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit of both. With the advent of creative cloud storage, adobe doesnt seem to actively support saving direct to outside services, but that doesnt mean they arent compadible. They just fall out of sync sometimes. See earlier posts for solutions. Quitting drive and re-launching semed to fix temporarily, at least with previous versions of the software. Most up to date MacOS, CC, and Google Workspace altogether seem to not present the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Mac OS 11.5.2, the solution is to install the oldest available version of Photoshop from the Adobe Creative Cloud Photoshop options. You don't even have to uninstall the new version. Google Drive Saving functions perfectly now with Photoshop 22.0.0 (2021). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was never officially supported. Just because it works, sometimes, in some configurations, doesn't mean Google, Adobe, Apple, or Microsoft supported that usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This now appears to be fixed (or, it works for me at least!) on MacOS 10.15.7 / Photoshop 23.3.1. For people saying "just don't save to google drive ever", my team have all been working remotely because, you know, pandemic, and google drive works absolutely fine with all of our other tools - including other adobe products! Works fine with premiere, aftereffects, illustrator, and older versions of photoshop - so acting like we shouldn't even expect photoshop to be able to resave a file to google drive comes across as a little patronising or condescending. It's not like we're going to use Adobe Creative Cloud instead 😛

Anyway, seems to work now, so, I guess that's some progress - although would be great if there was a little more transparency when it comes to bug reporting/feature requesting, I suppose we'll never know what caused this, what this was, or what fixed it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate