Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accidentally deleted effect

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I need help as I have accidentally deleted a drop shadow effect from the edit section on Adobe Elements 6. I tried reinstalling but when it asks for disc 1 It doesn't acknowledge either disc I put it and just asks for the disc again. I really need this shadow effect back to finish important designs I am working on, as the other drop shadows won't match the one I was using.

Wendy

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a pretty old version of the software. Do you have the correct disk for your machine, i.e. Windows disk for Windows, Mac disk for Mac?  You may want to consider this misadventure as an opportunity. Download the free 30-day trial of PSE 2024. This will enable you to finish ypur project in a timely manner. If you like the current version, purchase the license subsequently.

Please review this for additional info. Download older versions of Adobe apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is indeed an old version but is just what I am used to for my card designing. I think I must have accidentally deleted the effect itself rather than the effect in my design, when it checked if I did want to delete it. I seem to remember doing it before in the past but can't remember how I remedied it. Yes, it is a Windows disc in a Windows PC, and has installed okay before. Not sure which is disc 1 but I have tried both that were supplied in the case anyway. I am wary of the newer version of elements being too different to the one I use now, when I really need the continuity with the effects I use etc. If I opted for the free trial, is it easy enough not to have to commit to the license after that, as I don't want to be harassed for payment?! I will look at the link you sent next, but wanted to reply first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The free trial expires after 30 days. There is no up-front payement. 

Try Adobe Photoshop Elements 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe if you reset/delete a couple of files, you can get back the Drop Shadow Effect.

The files that need to be deleted are ThumbDatabase.db3 and MediaDatabase.db3

if that's i how you fixed it before.

First though we need to know what version of Windows your using in order to give the correct instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I am still on Windows 10. I have a Windows 11 PC but haven't got it set up to use yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0

and Delete the

ThumbDatabase.db3

Then go to

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en_us

and Delete the

MediaDatabase.db3

Start the pse 6 editor and wait for awhile for the Effects to build.

You'll most likely see a dialog indicating as such

It could take 5 mins or more.

The ProgramData folder is hidden by default on windows systems, so to see it so you can delete the mentioned files

follow these instructions:

Open Windows Explorer/File Explorer, click View,click Options, then under the View tab and enable Show files, folders and drives

Screenshot-(1031).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. I will try that when I get chance later. I'm not very computer savvy but it looks straightforward enough. I appreciate your help and hopefully that will sort it. If not, then maybe it's time to buy a newer version and a start afresh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your help. It worked and I have the missing shadow effect back. I will have to be more careful from now on and not accidentally delete it anymore! I use this effect a lot in my designs. Though I now know how to get it back if I do delete it. Not even sure why they are so easily deletable, or even why they are deletable at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines