• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACR 13.0 in PSE2021 - Crop tool extremely slow.

Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if I am the only one with the following issue:

When I want to use the new crop tool in the PSE2021 Camera raw plugin, the tool is so slow as being totally unusable. Either dragging the guides or moving the photo behind the selection is virtually impossible and reacts totally randomly.

If I use the full ACR version with Bridge or Photoshop, using the tool is fluid, and the speed is normal.

I do not speak about the new implementation of the ACR crop tool, which I find totally unintuitive and akward to use, as also appears in a lot of complaints in the feedback forum, only on the speed to move the selection or the image.

I have disabled Acronis active protection, which formerly slowed down ACR seriously.

The comparison is on the same computer:

Adobe Photoshop Elements Version: 19.0 (20200826.m.151582) x64
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Version: 10 or greater
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:12, Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading
Physical processor count: 2
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3093 MHz
Built-in memory: 8131 MB
Free memory: 2019 MB
Memory available to Photoshop Elements: 7424 MB
Memory used by Photoshop Elements: 70 %
ACP.local Status:
- SDK Version: 1.29.0
- Core Sync Status: Reachable and compatible
- Core Sync Running: 4.3.71.1
- Min Core Sync Required: 4.3.4.2
ACPL Cache Config: Unavailable
Image tile size: 128K
Image cache levels: 6
Font Preview: Medium
TextComposer: East Asian
Display: 1
Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1080, right=1920
OpenGL Drawing: Disabled.
License Type: Perpetual

So, am I the only one with this issue with the crop tool?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the Crop Tool in acr 13.0 is virtually unusable here as well with pse 2021 running on macOS 10.14.6

Same crappy preformance under my windows 10 x64 20H2 also.

I believe the reason is photoshop elements is not using the GPU in acr like photoshop cc does.

That could be a bug as well in both versions, however, if in photoshop cc one goes to Edit>Preferences>Camera Raw>Performance and turns off Use Graphics Processor, the Crop Tool behaves terribly just like in photoshop elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

That makes sense. I have tried myself to disable/reenable the GPU in Elements, but I did not think of disabling the GPU in Photoshop... I have added a comment in my post in the feedback forum.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop-elements/acr-130-in-pse2021-crop-tool-extreme...

If other PSE users are concerned by the bug, it would be useful to add your vote to the request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel, I dealt with this about a month ago.  I don't remember exactly how I solved the problem but I think I ended up making sure that Acronis active protection was disabled for both the Editor and the Organizer.  And then for good measure I totally removed Acronis from my machine.  I believe I was also having the same problem with CC until ACR was updated to 13.1. 

Added:  But I can also confirm Jeff's finding that turning off the GPU in Photoshop CC ACR reverts the program to the bad behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

Michel, I dealt with this about a month ago. I don't remember exactly how I solved the problem but I think I ended up making sure that Acronis active protection was disabled for both the Editor and the Organizer. And then for good measure I totally removed Acronis from my machine. I believe I was also having the same problem with CC until ACR was updated to 13.1.

For me, Acronis active protection is turned off for all softwares, not only the editor and organizer. Other features than the crop tool work normally, no speed difference compared to ACR 13.1 in Photoshop.

Do  you mean you have been able to solve the slowness issue in the Elements ACR 13.0 crop tool ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the ACR crop tool is now perfectly acceptable with its performance.  But most of the work is being performed by the CPU, not the GPU, and I have a powerful CPU.  The Task Manager is showing a 2-3% GPU usage when the Crop Tool is being used, whereas the CPU utilization increases by about 30%.  And this is the same whether GPU is turned on or off in the Editor's Peformance preferences.  BTW, is your graphics card recognized in the Performance tab?

Before, I got rid of Acronis, all ACR tool sliders were having issues.  So, maybe the Crop tool has more to do with the computer's hardware and it was just a coincidence that I was able to use ACR after Acronis was disabled.  I should have made better note of what I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

My GPU is recognized and works as expected in the ACR13.1 of Photoshop.

As stated in my original post, I have disabled Acronis, so your explanation that a stronger CPU can manage the crop tool is likely. I'll try to find a comment from another user in a different forum: the crop tool seemed to be acceptable but slower than the Photoshop version. That would also explain that the new version was not rejected in Adobe's testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to add to this conversation in case any future users read this.

I didn't really understand any of the above but after transferring to a new laptop in 2021 my Photoshop CS5 crop tool was running so slow it was unbearable.

I fixed it by this method - in Photopshop drag down Edit menu, go to Preferences - performance and sliding up the Memory Usage bar to it's maximum. I then closed and reopened the program.

Next thing I know the crop tool is back to it's usual quick responsive self.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just wanted to add to this conversation in case any future users read this.

I didn't really understand any of the above but after transferring to a new laptop in 2021 my Photoshop CS5 crop tool was running so slow it was unbearable.

By @Bowie Fan

Which ACR version were you using ?

ACR for Elements is different from ACR in full Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines