• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding white border -easiest way

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the easiest way to add a white border of a specific size in inches, without changing the size of the original image.  I have photos of 12 x 9" artwork, that I'd like to have printed on 13 x 10 paper, which means I'd have to add exactly 1/2" all around.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

1. Open the artwork file

2. Go to Image>Resize>Canvas size

3. In the dialog that opens, current size should display 12x9"

For new size enter 12.5x9.5"

4. Be sure to check "Relative"

5. Set your color chip to default, i.e. white is background color, then for Canvas Extension color select "Background."

6. This command is perfect for this purpose. If you ever need to extend just one border, note the anchor points in the dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make the canvas size 13 X 10.

Add a white outside stroke of 1/2 inch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open the artwork file

2. Go to Image>Resize>Canvas size

3. In the dialog that opens, current size should display 12x9"

For new size enter 12.5x9.5"

4. Be sure to check "Relative"

5. Set your color chip to default, i.e. white is background color, then for Canvas Extension color select "Background."

6. This command is perfect for this purpose. If you ever need to extend just one border, note the anchor points in the dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi...

Still figuring it out.  Your instructions were perfectly clear...but want to clarify something.

The actual art work is 12" x 9".  I took a photo of it at high resolution with my iPhone and this is what I'm working with in Photoshop Elements. 

When I "resize canvas" - the current size shows up  as 39.125 inches x 29.333inches- why is that?  I can still add a border as you instructed, but it would be nice to work in "real scale."  I tried resizing image, but that reduced the file size to about 500k from almost 4Mb.   

As I said...new to photoshop and just trying to understand it.....

Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-03-21 172825.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resizing the image via Image>Resize>image size. Set the parameters to 12x9". Check Constrain Proportions and Resample Image. For printing, resolution=240px/in is ok. For web work 72px/in is ok.

You don't state what the resolution is of the photo via your iPhone.

The aspect ratios are ok. 39.125/29.333=1.33.  12/9=1.33

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thanks for responding.

Yes, I tried resizig image 12 x 9 - easy enough, but it reduces the size of the image to a postage stamp on my screen.  I can zoom in of course. But the file size which was originally almost 4.43MB  came down to less than 500k.  Original resolution 2817 x 2112

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Resolution is expressed in pixels/inch. If you open your original file and go to Image>resize>image size, you can read the resolution value in the dialog. 

I suspect that 2817x2112 refers to pixel dimensions.

Why don't you add the white border, send the file to your commercial printer, and have him/her print it for you on the 13x9 paper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines