• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adjustment layer with curves

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, First post. I have had photoshop elements for years but never was able to get it out of first gear. I now have photoshop elements 2021 and cannot get this out of neutral.  

I am trying to fix a photo that is too dark. Everything I have seen says, best way, add adjustment layer, and select curve. There are more steps after but I cannot get the frst step. 

I can find the layers, no problem but 0 curves can be located. The half blue circle in layers gives me the options:

Solid color

Gradient

pattern 

Levels

brightness/contrast etc.

No curves. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Paul

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid you are driving a Ford, not a Ferrari. 

Elements doesn't have a Curves adjustment layer.  You need the full Photoshop for that. So be careful what tutorials you are looking at.

However, Elements does have a Curves tool. Go to Enhance>Adjust Color>Adjust Color Curves.  This is one of the tools that will help you adjust the lighting. But you can also try the Levels Adjustment tool which you have found under the Adjustment Layers.  There are also some cheap add-on programs that will give you a Curves Adjustment Layer in Elements. So, there are many different routes to get you where you want to go.

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.05_13h16m42s_000_SnapCollage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ha. wow. Thank you. I had no idea there was a difference in photoshop. 

I can stop looking now. Ford, good reference. 

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to save the photo I asked about, mostly by accident. Poking around I found a way to open my RAW files from my camera. That gave me a massave option to edit. Even my wife was impressed at the outcome. Not perfect but close. I am sure I can make it better and will keep poking around.

I need clases/book/video or some clases to take better advantatge of this. I have been reading this form and think I will be able to get some help/tips from old posts.

Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several books available for purchase on Amazon.

If you encounter a problem, feel free to post the picture here on the forum for help. There are many talented people who contribute and will offer suggestions  - tools, work-flow, etc.

We look forward to your progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Is there a book you can recommend? Or better for me, a video you recommend? I seem to get more from visual (or is that an excuse?). I don't mind paying i would just rather not waist my money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you make use of the Search bar on the Home Screen. 

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.06_11h26m23s_001_.png

Type in what you want to do with your photo and you will get a number of results applicable to your search.  Here I started to type brighten and many relevant results appeared:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.06_11h30m59s_002_.png

Many of the results take you to HelpX articles that contain illustrated instructions. 

You should also look through the carousel of cards that appear under the Search box.  If you click on the links in the cards, many will take you to video tutorials.

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.06_11h37m27s_003_.png

And, finally, I would highly recommend that you look at the Guided Edits.  These give you step by step (and by the hand) instructions to enhance your photos.  Here is what is available in the basic tab:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.06_11h40m47s_004_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

humm. help that helps? I honestly would never think that. Normally they are useless. I am going to try tonight. Choice photo and go to town and see what happens. 

Thanks a lot guys. You have been very helpful to the new guy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines