• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop Elements 22 doesn't work correctly with Mac OS Monterey (new OS released 2 days ago)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe Photoshop Elements 22 doesn't work correctly with Mac OS Monterey (new OS released 2 days ago).

Other members in the same case ?

Thank you for your answers. Jean.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Just to update people on here, in conjuction with 12.1 Update from Apple on my Mac, there was an update from Adobe too.  My PSE 2022 now appears to be working fine on my Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Hello,

There is an update available for Elements 2022, which fixes the hang on launch issue.

To Update Elements, Request you to please Launch and Close Elements Organizer and leave your system idle, depending on your interent connection speed - the update will be applied automatically and should fix the launch issue for PSE.

In case if the automatic update fails, Please install the update for E2022 manually from Elements Organizer.

Please refer to release notes for more details around E2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 350 Replies 350
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called Adobe support today and told them about the problem that we have been having since installing Monterey. I was told that they are aware of this problem and are working to devlop an update that will fix the problem for Photoshop Elements 2021 and 2022.

The Adobe tech said that for now, the only way to get the PE software to work after being closed is to restart the computer or revert your operating system back to Big Sur. I'm not excited sbout reverting to Big Sur, so for now, I will just restart my imac.
The Adobe tech told me that they currently don't have a date when the update to fix the problem will happen. During the phone call, he asked for my email. I asked if I will get an email when the update is available. He said that might happen but that I should periodically do a Goigle search for news of the update when it becomes available.

I would encourage you to call the Adobe support phone number:

1-800-833-6687.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've purchased one of the new MacBook Pros, reverting back to Big Sur is not an option.

I saw an earlier messge on this board saying that the problem also exists on Big Sur. I'm not optimisitic about Adobe's abiltiy to fix this anytime soon. I've switched to Acorn for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ich habe die gleichen Probleme.

Einzige Lösung ist; alles was mit Adobe zu tun hat zu löschen und Verträge zu kündigen. Ich werde mich entgültig nach alternativer Software umsehen. Ich sage Adobe aufwiedersehen für immer.  Die Preispolitik von Adobe ist nicht mehr legal und sehr unseriös.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally understand how you feel.  I have tried a few programs.  See my post below.  Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this problem here. And just want to vote to fix the issue. As a paying customer I somehow feel left alone in this case...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like you I feel isolated on this one. If I can find a programme that works well with Monteray I think I will call it a day after twelve years with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now trying the free10 day trial for Affinity Photo and it's working well but it is $60 after the trial.  I have also tried a couple free programs.  Seashore is not too bad.  PhotoScape X is good but everything is done online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent an hour on the chat with Adobe support yesterday. The support staff member said they had NO INFORMATION on this problem, even though it apparently dates back at least a year and existed in Big Sur as well as Monterey. I have a new M1 MAX MacBook Pro. Elements 2022 (it really ISN;T 2022!),  even when Elements 2022 editor works once and is quit, it leaves a corruption in Rosetta 2 that eventually forces a sudden reboot (MacOS crashes). I've alerted both Adobe and Apple customer supports to this unfortuante failure. I think Adobe should offer compensation for deliberatly marketing a product that they've known for months was flawed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Murphy0D45.....Thank you for letting us know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This either shows Adobe's ignorance, or it is just a lie by their support. They have been made aware of this problem at least one week before your comment here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather I take it to mean that Adobe's internal communications are faulty. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My elements 2021 failed to open once I upgraded to Monterey. I bought Elements 2022 (Two months earlier than I would have) to resolve the problem, but it did not help. Sometimes it openss, sometimes it does not.  A person can't work this way. How on earth does Adobe, the most popular software in graphic design, fail to coordiate with Apple, the most popular platform for graphic designers. This is a world class screw-up on Adobe's part.  There is a CEO out there that deserves getting fired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps I've removed PSE 2021 and reverted to an earlier version which as you might imagine works perfectly. As I the 'expert' option for all my editing  I've not actually found that any of the additions over the last five years that have been added to PSE make a great deal of difference. I just got swept along and thought I 'need' to update. Over a five year period nothing that was added made any real difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that's not an option for M1 Macs 😞

1. Buying a new M1, because I do not get updates for my 2013 Mac Book Pro any longer
2. Recognizing most old Software including Adobe Photoshop does not work on M1

3. Buying a new license for PS 2022 (and several other software)

4. Getting a MacOS update

5. PS does not work again...

Dear Adobe, dear Apple,  more than 2000 EUR later I really feel ripped off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Adobe support through the website and complain. Apparently, they do not notice product failure and bug reports on the community forums (at least the support person that I dealt with said "we have no infomration" on the 'works once per restart' phenomenon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know what? They don't deserve the business! If they can't be bothered to research what is being said about them across the web then they don't know how to run a business!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved!

I had the same problem and failed after several Force Quits and restarts.

I finally did a Shut Down (not Restart), but made sure I unchecked to option of opening any programs/files running prior to shut down. As I started PE Photo Editor I was relieved that it booted and all's well now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So try this:  Shut the comptuer all the way off--- go make a sammich-- come back, turn it back on ad see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say, but this only works one time. The next time you try to open the program, you'll get the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im still waiting for a response from defaultccf2hgiot4t6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here November 13, 2021, still an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalled 2022. Re-installed 2020. PSE 2020 seems to work fine with Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me, too.  With Monterey, Photoshop Elements Editor doesn't work.  Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an M1 processor Mac. I do not consider Elements 2022 legitimately 2022 because it requires Rosetta 2 on a 2022 Mac. That is, it's code is solely intel. It is out-dated as of 2021. My MacBook Pro requires Monterey or later, ther is no "try Big Sur instead" option. Currently, Monterey is MacOS 12.0.1

Elemensts 2022 and it's editor work normally immediarely after restart BUT

• If it's left open, the Mac will freeze and spontaneously reboot at some random future time
  • If the Elements editor and app are quit, then he Mac will freeze and spontaneously reboot at some random future time.

The Mac runs fine for days if Elements isn't used at all, although it does appear that other intel-base apps also are capable of causing Monterey to crash (I've reported that directly to Apple's tech support staff). Hence, the system crash seems to be a consequence of Elements 2022, and sometimes other apps, corrupting Rosetta 2.

It should not be possible for a single app to spontaneouly bring down the entire systems. The tech person I spoke with agreed that was an issue. I won't be surprised if when there's a 12.0.2 it might include a fix for Rosetta. That could, unfortunately require a message indicating that Rosetta 2 has been corrupted, save and restart. It least it would then be possible to save current work (like this reply, for example).

Adobe does at least acknowledge that Elements 2022 doesn't function properly with Monterey. Whether the update that fixes that problem also addresses what happens on an M1 Mac remains to be seen because they don't seem aware that they are causing reproducible system crashes.

If Adobe doesn't optimize Elements 2022 for Apple silicon by next September, I'll exercise my right to dispute the charge for the software with my credit card vendor on the grounds that the product fails to perform as advertised (that is Adobe is in breech of contract). I live in a state that does not permit limited warranties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does at least acknowledge that Elements 2022 doesn't function properly with Monterey.

By @MASewall

No, just read the system requirements. Monterey is not supported. That's all.You are not supposed to download and use it.

If Adobe doesn't optimize Elements 2022 for Apple silicon by next September, I'll exercise my right to dispute the charge for the software with my credit card vendor on the grounds that the product fails to perform as advertised (that is Adobe is in breech of contract). I live in a state that does not permit limited warranties.

By @MASewall

In most countries, you don't even have to justify any good or bad reason to cancel your order in something like 15 days. Check for your own state. If you ask Adobe for a refund after that local time lapse, they'll probably do it in the present circumstance. Did you ask for such a refund? Adobe employees are not allowed to give precise estimated availability dates for updates. That's a rule for big companies on the stock exchange. They can only announce what is actually programmed.

Keep in mind that Photoshop Elements is far from being a priority for Adobe, especially the Mac version percentage which my estimations have set to about 20% worldwide. So, I do believe that the Elements team is strongly motivated to solve your issue and have a positive future. It's a pity that in this discussion constructive reports are drowned in an unproductive flow of inexactitudes: no, Adobe has never pretended that PSE2022 or older were compatible with your new OS. It's a sad situation which may happen with each new OS verson from Apple which is no longer compatible with the precedent one. Adobe and others can better deal with that with a subscription model than with perpetual licenses. Not a good prospect for all Elements users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines