• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop Elements 22 doesn't work correctly with Mac OS Monterey (new OS released 2 days ago)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe Photoshop Elements 22 doesn't work correctly with Mac OS Monterey (new OS released 2 days ago).

Other members in the same case ?

Thank you for your answers. Jean.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Just to update people on here, in conjuction with 12.1 Update from Apple on my Mac, there was an update from Adobe too.  My PSE 2022 now appears to be working fine on my Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Hello,

There is an update available for Elements 2022, which fixes the hang on launch issue.

To Update Elements, Request you to please Launch and Close Elements Organizer and leave your system idle, depending on your interent connection speed - the update will be applied automatically and should fix the launch issue for PSE.

In case if the automatic update fails, Please install the update for E2022 manually from Elements Organizer.

Please refer to release notes for more details around E2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 350 Replies 350
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know absolutely nothing about Macs.  But it seems to me that the problem most of you describe is that Elements will open once, but if you close it and try to relaunch the program, there is a hang.  If you reboot, the program will launch again - only one time until the next reboot. 

If this were a problem on Windows, it would suggest that the program is not terminating correctly, and my temporary solution would be to use the Task Manager to stop the process and launch the program again without rebooting.

I therefore did a quick Google search to see if a similar solution works on a Mac and found these instructions for force-quitting an application.  Does this work for anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Elements will open once, but if you close it and try to relaunch the program, there is a hang. If you reboot, the program will launch again - only one time until the next reboot. "
For me, I think it's more random. It doesn't work each time the same way.
And (for example) : I select a few files + right clic +  launch Photoshop Elements via "Open with..." (in order to open all files at the same time in Photoshop Elements) doesn't work at all (not even once).

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg - thanks for the thoughts.

Definitely on the Mac, the program hangs early during the second time you launch it, and yes, Force Quit is what you do to cancel it. Trying to launch again results in the same situation - it hangs.You can continue to force quit (and send the debug results to Apple) and relaunch again and again. But then, a full restart will allow the program to open...once.

I'm going to try to leave it running - and I may rent full Photoshop for a month until Adobe and/or Apple release an upgrade. Clearly there are very different teams involved in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, because full Photoshop runs natively on Apple silicon but Elements - even this brand new version - runs via the Rosetta x86 emulation.

Other people may have other problems as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tech specs for PSE 2022 on the MAC are pretty clear:  It's doesn't mention Monterey.  Seems pretty cut and dried to me.   You're basically S.O.L. until Adobe issues an update to fix PSE 2022 for Monterey users.   You can rant and fuss, and try things and chat all day long with Adobe- but it basically won't accomplish anything till an update is issued. 
Typing a response in all caps doesn't work either.    Monterey users: Sorry for your problem... deep breath... relax... and wait-- that literally is your only option.
2021-11-03_150714.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PSE 2021 and I have been having the same issues also.  It's not just happening to the 2022 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I got a message from Adobe. For Photoshop Elements 2022, they're working to fix this issue. 
defaultz86b60ewyhwg_0-1636054671452.png
For Photoshop Elements 2021 however, Adobe Support says that it is no longer in development. So there will be no update for PSE 2021. For me, this means that I'm done with Adobe software. Having bought PSE 2021 less than a year a go, I expected to get at least updates for problems like this. This is just bad service from Adobe.
Over the last couple of days, I tested Affinity Photo for Mac. Similar handling, similar price. Works for the usual stuff and can handle PSD files. The difference: It has been ready for Monterey right from the start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought Photoshop Elements 2021 in September of this year. I have only been using it for about a month when I installed Monterey. I certainly hope the Adobe has enough sense and responsibility to develop and release a fix that will work for both PE 2021 and 2022. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the post just before yours?  Your answer is right there.  Your best bet is to contact support- be nice - give them a good sob story, and they might give a free update to 2022, with the fix when it is ready.  However, be prepared to have they say "suck it up- here's a code that will get you a $20 discount on PSE 2022". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having a battery drain issue to where it would be dead after ~ 8 hours of sitting closed. I traced it down to Adobe Creative Cloud App, was going to Uninstall it, but at the same time it gives you a repair option. My 2020 MacBook still had 100% when I got home today. Whether that helps anyone else's problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought the new MacBook Pro running Monterey OS.  I had Photoshop Elements 2019, which would not open on my new Mac. I paid for an upgrade to Photoshop Elements 2022, thinking (hoping?) it would fix the compatiblity issue.  However, it only works intermittently.  Sometimes it opens fine, other times I get the spining rainbow pinwheel of death.  This seems to espcially happen if I click on a PSD file (default program to open is PSE).  However, it also happens when I try to open the program directly, so I can't fully identify a pattern.  I see from this thread they are working on a fix; anyone know if it will automatically be pushed through an update or would we have to do something?  Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultbozmu8adqxjf, the most recent method for updating Elements has been to make the process totally automatic.  So, my best guess is that you will be notified immediately upon opening the program after a fix is released.

I understand that the problem for you is somewhat random.  But the next time the spinning pinwheel appears, can you try using the force-quit method to terminate the program and then re-launch it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg, thanks.  I do have to force quit when that happens.  But post force quit, I am not able to relaunch the program.  I have to restart my computer for there to be a chance that it will open properly.  The other thing that happens is that if I try to open Elements Editor directly, it seems to hang up more frequently (though not every time).  If I first open the general Elements and then click on the Editor, it has a better sucess rate of it opening properly.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!!FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX!!

We have 9 iMacs (M1) with PSE 19, 20, 21 and 22 not working...

If you download the trial of Full Photoshop... install it, launch it... then try PSE...

Hey presto it works...

We have PSE working on all 9 iMacs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this fix doesn't work for me. I installed the full Photoshop trial, but Photoshop Elements can still only be launched once per reboot.  Subsequent launch attempts still hang and have to be force-quit. (Although the full Photoshop trial continues to launch every time - and is optimized for apple silicon, so it runs faster as well.) It was a good thought, but didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can force quit, but it won't relaunch. If you are using a Mac with an M1 processor, you should restart because even if the PSE editor quits normally, it has corrupted Roasseta 2 and an unexpected OS crash will occur at some random time in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour à tous,

L'application photoshop elements se bloque au lancement sous monterey avec un macbookair M1 2020.

Pour utiliser l'application qui peut fonctionner, je dois redémarrer le systeme et lancer photoshop elements en premier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and good mornig, so one more member in the "club" of fustrated PSE-users.

Hoping that the bug will be fixed untill christmas. That would be a nice present!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you seen my fix in the post above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me, this is not really a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works, it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only real fix will be when Adobe issues one that allows users of PE 2021 and 20222 to use it properly.. That is, being able to use it repeatedly without hsving to force quit after the first use and restart the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worse. It the photo editor causes Monterey to crash on Apple Silicon (M1 processor) 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saying that "fix" made it worse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, hopefully Adobe will resolve it soon.

2015 Mac, Monterey MacOS, 

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I chatted with Adobe support yesterday I was told that they have NO INFORMATION on this problem. Ergo, EVERY ONE OF US should open a chat or phone call with support and tell them to escalate the problem or begin offering refunds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines