• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop Elements 22 doesn't work correctly with Mac OS Monterey (new OS released 2 days ago)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe Photoshop Elements 22 doesn't work correctly with Mac OS Monterey (new OS released 2 days ago).

Other members in the same case ?

Thank you for your answers. Jean.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Just to update people on here, in conjuction with 12.1 Update from Apple on my Mac, there was an update from Adobe too.  My PSE 2022 now appears to be working fine on my Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Hello,

There is an update available for Elements 2022, which fixes the hang on launch issue.

To Update Elements, Request you to please Launch and Close Elements Organizer and leave your system idle, depending on your interent connection speed - the update will be applied automatically and should fix the launch issue for PSE.

In case if the automatic update fails, Please install the update for E2022 manually from Elements Organizer.

Please refer to release notes for more details around E2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 350 Replies 350
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Greg_S. Thanks for the link.

@Adobe This is too little, too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link. However, this announcement doesn't "announce" anything that hasn't been reported over and over in this thread. It's like Adobe just discovered Monterey which must have been available for developers for enough time that they should have solved a fatal error issue long ago. I'm not impressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with 2021 and Monterey.  Tried every thing here - nada.

One post I saw about IOS Monterey is to re-start in "SAFE" mode - PSE2021 worked in SAFE mode albeit slower.

That ought to help the folks at Adobe to figure out why it starts in SAFE mode but not normal mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have some startup item that blocks PSE 2022 startup. Others are able to get it to work exactly once per startup, which is barely better. Will it run a second time in safe mode?

If you purchased PSE 2022 less than 30 days ago. Contact customer support and request a refund. You can buy it again (or switch to something else--Affinity, Acorn, etc.--when it's been fixed. Adobe is working on it, just not hard enough. Maybe when PSE 2023 is ready? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't have to be a complete restart of the computer. A logout of the current user and login is sufficient to then start Photoshop Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logging off and back in did not work for me. Only on restarting the macbook it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right, it doesn't work here anymore either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a work around that "works"

Shut down your mac and then open in safe mode (on my older mac holding down the shift key until you see the apple logo)

Then you can open the photo editor

Having said that, I will definetely look for an alternative to photoshop.  They clearly don't give a damn about their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Users,

Adobe is actively working with Apple to resolve the issues with OS 12.0 Monterey. As we have more information, we will update the forums. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Vipin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe must have had pre-release versions of Monterey for developers. Hence, "woeking with Apple" is taking far longer than it should be taking unless Adobe ignored the problem until users began complaining in early November.

Why did Adobe release a product that they knew was fatally flawed? If it's "2022" why isn't the code universal (that is native to M1 as well as Intel)?

Forget thanking us for patience; you're well beyond the point where it has meaning. You've critically offended long time customers who now are actively seeking other vendors. Credibililty won't be restored without some sort of compensation. Fix the problems and offer a discount to those who returned the flawed releast of PSE 2022 in frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't bought an Adobe product in years but just recently got a Macbook and decided to get the Elements package on Black Friday... turns out it was a great decision. I didn't know about any of this when I bought it physically from Best Buy but now it really restored my confidence in Adobe (and also of being chronically sarcastic).

I should have stuck with the free editors since they didn't put just the Photo Editing subscription on sale and just their $800 a year package and apparently didn't know OSes get updated. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give us a break.  Patience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Adobe is monitoring these comments about PSE not working with Apple.

I am so fed up with problems between these two companies. At first the excuse was that Apple no longer supported 32-bit apps, so my old PSE no longer worked. Eventually I bought a new Mac running Monterey, and was looking forward to upgrading to PSE 2022. But no longer. All I see is that the problems with Adobe are continuing.

I am now researching other editing software. I am so tired of PSE crashing every time I try to use it. This is such a shame because the product was so good, though it has been a long time now since I have got it to work. 

Adobe, you are losing long-time and faithful customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working for me. I have a new Macbook Pro M1, so maybe that helps. 

As a side note, it's not any faster than it was on my Macbook Air. I think that's because it's not optimized for the M1 chip yet. Can't wait until it is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My MacBook Pro M1 was delivered Nov 5. PSE 2022 works fine once per reboot as long as it isn't quit and relaunched. Because it isn't optimized for M1, it uses Rosetta 2. Apparently, it corrupts Rosetta 2 no matter how you use it. At some random time after PSE 2022 is launched (running or quit; doesn't matter) tthe Mac will spontaneously restart (no warning).

I've uninstalled PSE 2022 and no longer have spontaneous restarts. Adobe refunded my purchase. I have been using Acorn in its stead. I may, or may not, purchase PSE again once there is a version with stable universal code.

I'm not at all happy with Adobe. They knew or should have known that the product had a major bug the day the released it (surely thay had access to the developers' version of Monterey ahead of its public release). They should not label a Mac product 2022 that isn't optimized for M1 as all of Apple's current computers are M1 based.

If you Mac begins to sponaneously restart without warning, return PSE 2022 for a refund and await an update that doesn't contain this "feature."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A solution that works for me, at least until update released.

Add APE22 to your login items-

System Preferences>Users & Groups>select Current user, then search for APE22 under Login items.

Adds a few seconds to start up, but better than a restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. I gave up on Photoshop long ago when it had issues with MAC upgrades. I guess my mind blocked those problem until now, when my duagher-in-llaw got me a license for Adobe Photoshop Elements 2022. I was excited to try it, but the CD wouldn't load, so I downloaded the image from Adobe. It loaded the software, but the program doesn't work. A little research showed that it is not compatible with MacOS Monterey. No information at all when Adobe will fix it. I'm back in the HateAdobe crowd. They never learn their lessons.

Doug Dunham

Former Senior Software Engineer for IBM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am assuming I lost my money in buying this product and now inclined to
use some other product, what are the good alternatives to photoshop
elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question. I'd love to know. The editing tools in Mac Photos aren't bad, but I do miss layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Adobe clearly doesn't care about it's Mac customers, I, too, would love to use this forum to get ideas on alternatives to Adobe.  Never going back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acorn <https://flyingmeat.com/acorn/> and Affinity <https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/> are both optons. Both support layers. Both accept Nikon RAW photos. Both can convert HEIC. They seem very similar to one another. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @MASewell - I’ll look into those two!--
Susan Zatland
[Email address removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think, perhaps, that one of the issues here is that MACs are only about 9% of the home computer market.  From a purely business standpoint, that would make me think that mac compatibility with the latest MAC OS isn't that big of a priority for Adobe.  To me, a non mac user, it sure does appear Montery compatibility is a low priority for Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your market facts may be dated. MacBooks are the top selling laptop brand, albeit Windoze brand laptops are split among multiple vendors. Also, PSE isn't necessarily a home use product, perhaps the bulk of it's users are, but full out Photoshop is an expensive overkill for lots of professional applications (that I know first hand).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines