• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I make a gradient color stop use the foreground or background option?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I make a gradient with color stops that would use the foreground or background colors instead of a particular color?  I know there are some preset gradients that use foreground and background colors, but, would like to create my own.  For instance, edit the metal gradient and instead of having a "gold" gradient have the gradient be the foreground color? I am using PSE 2021 on a Mac.

TOPICS
Creative , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

I knew about the foreground to background gradient in the default panel, but, when I tried to add a stop it was just a color stop not a background or foreground stop.  Well, I finally figured out, if i click on the forground stop and add a stop it will be a foreground stop.  If I click on the background stop my added stop will be a background stop.  in the screenshot below there is one "dedicated color" color stop that is green and all the rest of the stops are foreground or background stops. @Greg_S.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Select the color stop you wish to change
  2. Click on the Color button and
  3. The Color Picker box will open;
  4. Hover your mouse over the foreground/background tools in the toolbox. The cursor will change to an eyedropper and you can click on the foreground or background color.  This will change the color of the gradient stop.
  5. You can then save your new gradient by clicking on the Add to Preset button.

Your custom preset will be added to the gradient panel.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.25_12h19m23s_000_SnapCollage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Greg_S. thanx for replying.  It is hard to know how to explain what I want to do.  I would like the gradient I make to use the foreground or background color automatically without me having to change the colors of the stops.  I was hunting a way to tell the color stop to always use the forground color or always use the background color.  The color stop itself would have the little checkerboard pattern inside it like the preloaded "foreground to background" gradient does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Choose your foreground and background colors
  2. Select the first preset (Name: Foreground to Background)
  3. The resulting gradient uses your colors. 
  4. You can then save the preset with a new name if you wish.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.26_11h19m40s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you only want one of the colors to be in the gradient, in other words foreground to transparent, use the second icon.

If you want to use the background color, instead, before you open the grandient tool, press the keyboard shortcut X and the background/foreground colors are switched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I knew about the foreground to background gradient in the default panel, but, when I tried to add a stop it was just a color stop not a background or foreground stop.  Well, I finally figured out, if i click on the forground stop and add a stop it will be a foreground stop.  If I click on the background stop my added stop will be a background stop.  in the screenshot below there is one "dedicated color" color stop that is green and all the rest of the stops are foreground or background stops. @Greg_S.  Thanx for helping me solve my own question! Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 07.05.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines