• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you create a brush from an image?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About a year ago I updated my photoshop elements.  I had a long hiatus before that and I lost some of the skills I had learned.  I am pretty sure that I remember using an image to create a new brush.  When it was done you could use the brush kind of like a stamp to add over other papers or images.  For the life of me I cannot find the instructions on how to do that.  Can someone help me out?

TOPICS
Creative , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scroll down to:

Create a custom brush shape from an image

here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/setting-brushes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to make a brush out of the entire photo or just a selected portion of the image?

First make sure that the foreground/background colors are the default black and white.

In the following example, I have selected the flagstick in the photo to turn into a brush.  After making the selection, choose Edit>Define Brush from Selection.  Give the brush a name and the brush will become available in the default brushes.  If you want the whole photo available as a brush, you can simply choose Edit>Define Brush.

Snap_2022.08.26_17h16m35s_000.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually I would like to create a folder just for brushes that I make and being able to do them from a whole image or even a part of an image would be great to know.  Being able to do that was one of my favorite parts of Photoshop elemenes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You CAN create a folder for your own custom brushes. If you have a Windows PC, navigate to "C:\Users\[user-name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\20.0\Presets\Brushes" and create a subfolder there. This location is for PSE 2022. I named mine Custom Brushes. I then copied a small brush file into it and renamed it "MyBrushes.abr". I then deleted all but one of the brushes in it and use that to hold all of my custom brushes. When I want to create a new custom brush, I make sure this is the active brush set first, and then the new brush gets added to it.

You could do this on a Mac but I don't know what the location would be.

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines