• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot open canon cr3 images in Photoshop Elements 2020

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open canon cr3 images in Photoshop Elements 2020. I have tried searching without success, i tried finding the appropriate camera raw. It has imstalled the plugin camera raw 12.0.0.321

totally frustrated. I just bought a new camera CANON EOS R10 and I cannot view them in this program. 

thank you I have windows 11 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

I'm not going to give up yet.  Go to Help>About Plug-in>Camera Raw and tell us what version of Camera Raw is displayed.  As you can see in my screenshot below, I have been able to install ACR 15.x in Elements 2020.

Snap_2022.12.10_10h12m24s_000.png

You haven't told us why you installed ACR 14.5 rather than the latest version of ACR.  I suggest you try again with the latest version of ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also posted the same question here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-to-open-canon-cr3-images-in-photo...

Have you checked for updates to your Camera Raw in Elements? There was a release for Camera Raw v13 in November 2020 that should support your CR3 format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appolgize for the duplicate reqquest, as my question did not appear so i wrote it again.  i will try your suggestion. When i cliked on update in th program it self, the update option was grayed out which seenmed odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tshumas, your new camera requires Camera Raw version 14.4 or later.  Fortunately, you should be able to update Elements 2020 to ACR 15 by strictly following the instructions in the official workaround found at this link

Note that at Step 9 in the instructions, you must copy the Camera Raw.8bi plugin file to the  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 18\File Formats\ folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I downloeaded the Windows version of the 14.5  camera raw. I also copies the required file from

• On Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats

to:

• On Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements<Version Number>\File Formats

Then i opened up my Photoshop Elememet 2020 program and tried to opem a crs  file image and instread i received the following error message: "Could not complete your request becasue it is not the right kind of dsocument."   This is the identical message I received before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for the typos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tshumas said:

I also copies the required file from

• On Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats

to:

• On Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements<Version Number>\File Formats

I don't know whether you simply copied and pasted the instruction from the linked article or whether this is the path where you tried to copy the file.  In any event, Elements 2020 is actually Elements version 18.  You must therefore copy the Camera Raw.8bi file to the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 18\File Formats\

If you don't follow the instructions precisely, the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in will not update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had copied the file , not moved it. I saw the file in both folders However, it was also recommended to download Adobe  DNC the digital negative  converter and after I did, I watched the Adobe video on the same web page. It actually was terrific.  It worked perfectly in both my photoshop CS6 and my Photoshop Elements 2020. You click on a folder or individual photo and click Convert and it  converts raw image files from 100s of cameras into a DNC file, and the Raw application in both programs worked perfectlyThank you for your helpSent from my T-Mobile 5G Device

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be no reason why you can't update Elements 2020 to ACR 15 so that you can avoid converting your raw files to DNG.   Did you have Elements open when you moved the Camera Raw plug-in file?  If so, you need to relaunch it.  You may even have to reboot your computer for the plug-in to update.  You also mention that you downloaded ACR 14.5 rather than the latest version. 

However, if you are happy with the DNG converter, that's fine.  Note that you can use the converter to batch convert your raw files rather than convert them one at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thank you for your suggestions. However, I did not have my Photoshop Elements 2020 nor Photoshop CS6 programs open while I downloaded and installed 14.5 camera raw. I also restarted just like you suggested. Unfortunately,  I still cannot open any cr3 Canon image files. It would be great and quicker if I did not need to use the DNG converter, since it creates a full set of DNG files creating an additional set of large files. However, at least I am able to open my images. Thank you do much for offering me suggestions.  TerrySent from my T-Mobile 5G Device

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not going to give up yet.  Go to Help>About Plug-in>Camera Raw and tell us what version of Camera Raw is displayed.  As you can see in my screenshot below, I have been able to install ACR 15.x in Elements 2020.

Snap_2022.12.10_10h12m24s_000.png

You haven't told us why you installed ACR 14.5 rather than the latest version of ACR.  I suggest you try again with the latest version of ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gregg:

Thank you for your determination to help. Wow! Thank you!!

In my Adobe Photoshop CS6 [PS CS6], from your above "Help>About Plug-in>Camera Raw" my Adobe Camera Raw is 9.1.1 and for my Photoshop Elements 2020, it is ACR 12.0.  However, worried about my older PS CR6, I initially downloaded the "ACR 14.5 Installer" and then copied its plug-in "Camera Raw.8bi file" (as you instructed), but neither program opened my Canon CR3 images.

I discovered my 10-year-old PS CS6 will not accept even the ACR 12.0 version of the "Camera Raw.8bi file" from the PS Elements 2020 program. Only the DNG Converter works, but unfortunately, it creates another full-set of large files I must save. I copied this new plug-in "Camera Raw.8bi file" into the folder you described into both the "Elements 18" folder and the "CR6" folder.  However, it stopped the PS CS6 from working properly - even from opening my JPG images. So, I carefully copied its original ACR 9.1.1 "Camera Raw.8bi file" back into its plug-in folder for my PS CR6 program to work again. Now both the JPG and the newly converted DNG image files open again. Phew!

Here is some great news THANKS to you and your determination to help!  This time, I downloaded the "ACR 15 Installer" and I copied its new ACR plug-in "'Camera Raw.8bi file" from the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats" to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 18\File Formats. Then, I opened up PS Elements 2020. This time when I looked at its "Help>About Plug-in>Camera Raw," it was 15.0 and my Canon CR3 images OPENED!!! OMG and, of course, so did my JPG images, too. 

So, if I want to use my newer smaller Photoshop Elements 2020 program, I am now set to go. However, if I want to still use my older full-size Photoshop CS6 program, I need to use the DNG converter, unless you have another solution.

Thank you so much and the others, too, for all of your help. What an amazing caring Adobe Support Community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I have PS Elements 2021 and the plug-in for CRaw is version 13. I can not open CR3 files. Suggestions appreciated. I do use LR, but prefer to do my deletes, etc. in Elements as it is faster. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well I dug into this a bit more and hooray - I was able to find, download and install CRaw 14.5 which appears to work. A number of steps to get there but the effort was rewarded. Good luck to everyone else - it's out there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines