I would like some advice please.
I want to change the colour of a carpet, (and retain the texture of a carpet).
I have tried but I have two main difficulties -
(The carpet is Light Red near a window and a Darker Red in the shadows)
I would be awfully grateful if someone could either –
Thank you Greg - my friend would like the red carpet changed to a grey colour please.
Thank you - Mike.
1. Open the picture file
2. Duplicate the Background layer and shut off the visibility of the Background layer by clicking on the eye icon in the layers palette
3. Working on the Background copy layer, activate the Magic wand tool, and on the tool's option bar, check "contiguous" & set tolerance to 32 . Left click on the carpet and hit delete on the keyboard. You will have to do this in several areas to fetch the broad expanse of the carpet.
4. Open the Color Swatches palette, and select 50% gray. This will be your foreground color.
5. Open a blank layer between the Background & Background copy layers.
6. Working on the Blank layer, go to Edit>Fill Layer>Foreground color
Did you try the methods in the tutorial?
Changing from red to grey is fairly easy. Here is one way to do it.
You should be able to achieve something like the following examples:
I just noticed that the area under the TV is not selected in my sample. You may need to reduce the size of the Selection Brush to 1 px to get a better selection in this area which has very little edge contrast between the carpet and the objects. Here is a slightly better selection, but you need some patience, depending on your editing needs.
@mike48127781 said: I want to change the colour of a carpet, (and retain the texture of a carpet).
This is why I suggested adjusting the hue/saturation rather than filling the carpet area with another color.
Here are the steps:
Step 1: Prepare Your Image
Step 2: Select the Carpet Area
Step 3: Create a New Layer
Step 4: Adjust the Carpet Color
Step 5: Blend the Edges
Step 6: Fine-Tune Lighting and Shadows
Step 7: Final Touches
Step 8: Save Your Work
Remember, the key to retaining the texture of the carpet is to make subtle adjustments and blend the edges carefully. It may take some practice to achieve the desired effect, so don't be afraid to undo and redo steps as needed.
For video tutorials, you can search for "changing carpet color in Photoshop" on platforms like YouTube. There are many helpful tutorials available that can visually guide you through the process.