• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

change image from 300 to 72 dpi with Photoshop elements 13?

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2015 Feb 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Want to buy an image for a Kindle cover which is only available in the size required by Kindle as a 300 dpi image.Can I change It to 72 dpi with my Photoshop elements 13?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

So if your original is larger why not go for 2500

Open your Original and choose:

File >> Save for Web

Select from the file type menu Jpeg max quality.

The setting is usually about 60 but you can push the slider up to 100 for no compression.

Under the section marked new size leave the width and height linked and type 2500 in the width box. The height will change automatically. Use the height box if that is the longest edge.

Then click OK.

Save with a different name.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2015 Feb 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Go to Image>Resize>Image size.

Why would you want to reduce the resolution of the file from 300 px/in to 72 px/in?

By the way, px/in = pixels per inch, which reflects the resolution.

dpi = dots per inch, a value which reflects the ink droplets deposited by the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use this image as a Kindle cover, and Kindle guidelines say "Be sure to save your file with 72 dots per inch (dpi)), and the  image I bought is 300 dpi.

Thanks for your help. ^_^

So I imagine I should close this thread now was soon but I'm not sure how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this an image that you will send to Amazon (Kindle) for them to process? If so, suggest that you go to File>save for web, and make the long side 800 px. Be sure to check "Constrain proportions". At the top left, the default file format is GIF. Change that to JPEG.

If you plan to print this image yourself, 300px/in is good.

For printing, it is recommended that the resolution be in the 240-300 px/in range.

Do you have a link to the above referenced guidelines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an image I will send to Amazon (Kindle) for them to process. The link where it says "be sure to save your file with 72 dots per inch (DPI)" follows, and that Last statement (quote) is at the end of the section: Styles. Here's the link:

Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing: Get help with self-publishing your book to Amazon's Kindle Store

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, on a copy I made of the image I want,I did go to "file", Then "save for Web", and made the long size 800 pixels, and saved that as JPEG..

But in that particular window, I didn't see "Constrain proportions" anywhere.

Yesterday,with that image, I did go "image" and then "resize", and did have checked  "constrain proportions". That is, I'm presently working with a resized  image, that includes a few text inserts and one simple custom shape..

But do I have to start with a fresh, Unedited image?

You continue to be marvelous help. I'm so grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked the image I "saved to web image", And "constrain proportions" is checked off, and the image looks good. I'm guessing all is well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the size of the original image as shown in the save for web dialog?

It's above the area marked New Size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do know Kindle instructs 2500 on the longest side.^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if your original is larger why not go for 2500

Open your Original and choose:

File >> Save for Web

Select from the file type menu Jpeg max quality.

The setting is usually about 60 but you can push the slider up to 100 for no compression.

Under the section marked new size leave the width and height linked and type 2500 in the width box. The height will change automatically. Use the height box if that is the longest edge.

Then click OK.

Save with a different name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll do that, thanks. And I like the suggestion that I push the slider up to 100 for no compression, because I now recall the instructions say To use as little compression as possible.

At the top of the"Save to web"  box it gives me a choice regarding "preset". Right now it says "unnamed" but Gives various options, the likeliest one seeming "Jpeg high". I'm wondering if I shouldI fiddle with that or leave it alone. I'll leave it alone for now. ^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop is showing me which files are open.

in that little Image showing me the open file where I've reduced compression to none, some letters are hard to see. Can reducing compression to zero cause problems?

How would I see how that cover would look on the Web or in a thumbnail (Which I understand some people have on their Kindle)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use between 60 and 100. Try 90- but not zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can try 90 like you said, but how do I know what works? Or do I just go with 90? I'm not sure how to check Which compression works.

Is this where I would have to see how it looks on the web (And in a thumbnail)?

I don't Yet know how to see how it looks on the web or in A thumbnail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the before and after window. You can see the file size change in the after view, as you change settings. Go for the highest without exceeding the maximum permitted file size. My guess is for a 2500 p[x jpeg, you should have no problems uploading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2015 Feb 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I made the compression 100, and then was able to successfully upload the picture.

Thanks, 99jon and everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to upload that "saved to web" image, And got the error message that it has to be at least 1000 pixels on the longest side. So I imagine I'll haved do that. ^_^

Next, and I'm sure I'll figure out how to do that, I'd like to see how it would look in a "thumbnail". All I know so far is that some people when searching for Kindle books might view a thumbnail of the cover, whatever that is. I realize It's smaller, of course. But I think my cover will be okay:. I'm not sure how easy it will be to see the photograph of a woman there, but the inserted text and one custom shape is large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instructions suggest 2500 px on the long side which is why I requested the width and height of the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have made a mistake in so far as I should have changed the image From 72 to 300 dpi before "saving it  for web", Etc.. I'll try that Soon – have to do something else now. ^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines