• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert negatives to positives

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PSE 19 and I can't see how to convert 35 mm negatives to positives.

Please can you help? Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Try using Ctrl+I to invert the image.  Here is your photo with a quick Levels adjustment too.

Snap_2023.03.02_9h46m55s_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using Ctrl+I to invert the image.  Here is your photo with a quick Levels adjustment too.

Snap_2023.03.02_9h46m55s_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg, I've tried Ctrl+I followed by Enhance/Auto Smart Fix and then Enhance/Auto Colour Correction and I'm getting great results!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Greg

My wife has found a professional print of one of the negatives, which she has scanned into the computer on the flatbed scanner, and there is a marked difference between that and my attempt with converting the negative to positive by the method described in my previous post.

So I've got a lot to learn if I'm going to match the professional prints!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inverting the negative can create a somewhat flat image with low contrast.  As you can see from the histograms of the two versions of your Christmas photo, your image is more compressed:

Snap_2023.03.04_00h57m57s_000.png

One technique that will improve such a low contrast image is to use the Levels tool (Ctrl+L) or create a Levels Adjustment layer.   You can move the sliders on each end of the histogram to adjust the black and white points to the place on the histogram where there is actually some information.  And you can also play with the middle slider to improve the image to your taste.

Snap_2023.03.04_0h44m10s_012.png

Here you can see some improvement:

Levels-Adjustment.gif

I have overdone it a little but I think you will see what can be done to improve the contrast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks Greg, I'll give it a try.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines