• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Depth map in Elements 2020

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone created a depth map using Elements 2020 ?

thanks

TOPICS
Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The 3D menu is only available in Photoshop CC. As is the ability to manipulate Apple HEIC files containing depth data in Photoshop & Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have Photoshop 2020 CC. Searches have informed I should see depth map when I opewn an HEIC file. I do see that being avialable in 2020 CC. So I must make when. Can you lead to me to the best video out there to accomplish the task ? Seems to me since FB can do it quite simply and automaically on my iphone It something that could be incorporated into both elements and CC photoshop quite readily. But what do I know. Thanks much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image must have been captured with depth data. I think only iPhone X or 11 has this capability. See this YouTube video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On two occasions I took jpg images and directly with FB turned the into parallax presentations. The first was cartoon I lifted from FB which was created on an ipad pro and was in my photos file.  The second was an iamge I created and saved as a jpg. and also in my photos on an imac. I accessed both images through my phone and FB did everything else. The video you cited has some interesting comments if you care to read them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open a HEIC photo into photoshop elements 2020 you can check for a Depth Map by going to Select>Load Selection and you should see Depth Map next to Selection

dm1.png

If you have a Depth Map then you can use that in Filter>Blur>Lens Blur as explained at this link:

https://www.2minutephotoshop.com/how-to-change-depth-of-focus-with-an-iphone-and-photoshop-cc-2018/

dm2.png

sample image is from above link.

I should add that the above only works on the mac versions of photoshop elements.

Even though pse 2020 on windows can open HEIC files, the Depth Map doesn't get imported.

Photoshop 2020 on windows is even worse because it can't even open HEIC files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. The photo I attempted to use had been converted from jpg to HEIC. When I followed your instructions the load selsection was greyed out. I will have to try creating A papallax image using my phtoshop 2020 cc account. I am still looking for a good you tube tutorial. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe, as far a apple products are concerned, that the photo has to have been taken originally in the HEIC (HEIF) format in order to have the Depth Map.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022

Also in photoshop cc in order to see the Depth Map channel you can go to Window>Channels

ch.png

What device are you using to take your photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually creating a Depth Map for a photo is very much a manual process like described here:

https://medium.com/hd-pro/creating-3d-images-on-facebook-using-depth-maps-f078cf344975

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some of the key commands are not working as reported in this article. To answer your earlier question, the photos I am using are primarily images from the web. I then use Previews in Mac OS X to save the image to heic. I am using Mojave and photoshop CC 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines