• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Used to work fine, but not now.  Places display but no map behind them.  Reinstalled software did not solve the problem.  I'm running the 64 bit version on a laptop with 16GB ram, don't suspect that is the problem.  Any ideas out there?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 103 Replies 103
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thinking about upgrading to Corel Paintshop Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased my copy of Adobe PSE14 from an Australian retail store less than 1 year ago. Consumer law in Australia says that a product should be fit for purpose for a reasonable time. Less than 1 year is by no stretch of imagination a "reasonable time", that has been found in law generally to mean several years as a minimum. Therefore (in Australia, and I suspect all of Europe too), Adobe are obligated by law to make their product work, as described in the original documentation, for several years, as a minimum. No "waiver" clause in the terms and conditions can remove this consumer protection. Adobe are obligated by law to fix the product, or give me a replacement (free upgrade to PSE 15?). I am uncertain whether a refund of the purchase is acceptable or not, because the photos I have cannot be viewed properly on the map. I will be taking it up with the store I purchased the product from (Office Works).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discover with horror the content of these exchanges ... Frankly Adobe is no longer up to par and continues to disappoint us!

It's been a year since I bought my version PSE 14 ... fortunately no more, it will allow me to recover less data in my next application that will do the job of ranking my photos correctly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in PSE14. Please can Adobe give some idea when this problem will be fixed. I have checked whether it makes sense to upgrade to v15 but to pay £107 for what appears to be minimal increase in functionality seems to be ludicrous. If Adobe want to force people to upgrade they should change to a subscription method and I for one would then probably transfer to another method of organising my photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

megagrumpyness  wrote

I have checked whether it makes sense to upgrade to v15 but to pay £107 for what appears to be minimal increase in functionality seems to be ludicrous.

To be fair, the temporary workaround is to use the free 30 days trial version of PSE15, if you upgrade, it's £86,56 minus 20%.

It does not make sense to upgrade to version 15 as version 16 is expected soon.

Easy video editing, photo editing software | Adobe Elements family

for what appears to be minimal increase in functionality

Sorry, but version 15 offers the biggest improvement for the organizer... The powerful search engine, the batch edition possibilities among others are far more essential than the map feature. We may expect new features for PSE16 too.

I understand your frustration, but the best you can do now is to use the PSE15 free trial version for the moment. We may hope from a solution:

- from the culprit (Google)

- from Adobe, for customer care. Anyway, that won't be new versions for PSE11, 12, 13, 14...  I don't know if there is a possibility for a technical 'patch' without complete reinstallation. A totally free update to PSE15 (with editor) from older versions would be... unlikely.

- I did mention the possibility for Adobe to ensure that the trial version of PSE15 (or 16) would work freely for the organizer only after the 30 days period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it not be better to use Google Photos for organising dates and locations and use the PSE organiser for tagging faces, events etc. I assume that this would be fairly straightforward to do but maybe a little more cumbersome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

megagrumpyness  wrote

Would it not be better to use Google Photos for organising dates and locations and use the PSE organiser for tagging faces, events etc. I assume that this would be fairly straightforward to do but maybe a little more cumbersome.

Old Elements users, since 1999 (the year I switched to digital) have always been able to use their own custom places hierarchy to organize their library. They  can still do like me.

- No problem to search by combining places, persons and dates criteria (no need to use Google place hierarchy)

- No useless job for the software to manage places for the majority of files where it's a meaningless criteria (for me, it's less than 15%, but I understand that regular travellers may want all their shots tagged). I only use the map service if I want to display, to show, travel albums. I still use the custom 'media' keywords hierarchy for the files where it's useful. And it's so fast to assign a place tag to a hundred pictures in a few clicks !

Linking the data in the organizer to a Map software is a good idea, but Google is already the second external service to be linked to Elements. We are now seeing the risk.

Also, if you consider that too few Elements users do take advantage of the Organizer, and that only a small part of them care about map display, I guess that the problem is not acute for Adobe.

- The current PSE15 version (the only one supported by Adobe) works

- There is a temporary workaround for 30 days...

- Still better if users do switch to the more powerful Lightroom

- No direct photo managing and organizing competitor with similar features (except... Google Photos )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

While I'll keep pressing this failing with Adobe, I am considering buying Lightroom 6 standalone, as I see that I can tell LR to edit using PSE14 (which I like).  However, can I export my PSE14 catalogue (with all the tags I've created - both normal and the Place, People tags of PSE14 etc) into LR and then update that 'master' catalogue thro' LR having edited an image in PSE?  I've tried the LR pages, but can't see the answer.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sweepling  wrote

Michael,

However, can I export my PSE14 catalogue (with all the tags I've created - both normal and the Place, People tags of PSE14 etc) into LR and then update that 'master' catalogue thro' LR having edited an image in PSE?  I've tried the LR pages, but can't see the answer.

Regards.

Not sure I understand totally your question. For instance, I have recently used the current Lightroom CC option to import an Elements catalog to create a LR catalog. Several hours for the conversion of 65.000 items. My tags are recovered, my albums are now collections... I don't use people recognition and  don't care much for geotagging (I'll leave regular LR users comment on LR geotagging features which look fine for me).

See the LR forums:

Photoshop Lightroom

and

Lightroom for Beginners

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Many thanks for this response.  I've decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to PSE 15 (I know 16 is due out, but the Amazon upgrade price is good). I've found your other link ref upgrading PSE14 to 15 without loss of tags and I'll follow that.

I 'chatted' with Adobe yesterday to find that their free upgrade is valid only for 30 days after purchase.  Also, there was no forecast as to when the PSE14 geotagging patch would be available.

Keep up the good work.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will never ever again trust ADOBE.

I am about to purchase Coral Paintshop Pro x 8. Its face recognition & mapping facilities appear to be every bit as good if not better than Elements 13. Of course there is no guarantee Coral won’t do the same as ADOBE.

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking to use the geotagging features of Nikon View and move to Capture One or I'm going to buy the non CC version of Lightroom 6. Searching around I've found some deal under 100€ for the standalone version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know when version 16 is going to be released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More then 90 days and still no fix for the map issue.

I suppose Adobe is just going to wait for release 16 with a proper fix, which means users have to pay for the upgrade.

Time to look for alternatives products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

medianima  wrote

More then 90 days and still no fix for the map issue.

The first post in this discussion is dated August 17th.

Adobe acknowledgment was on September 8th.

Map does not load in Elements Organizer 11, 12, 13, and 14

Probably a time zone lag...

Time to look for alternatives products.

Not a bad idea at all. If you can recommend reliable alternatives with a powerful organizer and editor, plus good interface for geotagging, that would be a good reason for Adobe to do something.

Edit (Oct 1st)

For instance, this post in the feedback forum about the free Geosetter.

ELEMENTS ORGANIZER - Create place tags from GPS data | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe ( or at least Anwesha) replied on August 15th 2017 (  Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View ) . There may be other Adobe comments earlier, probably not. Since it was FIXED in version 15, which was released a year ago, they have known about the problem for at least a year AND NOT FIXED IT IN OTHER VERSIONS. So, I think that saying that the estimate of more than 90 days is an understatement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The big problem with very long posts like this one and similar ones is that you can't expect people to read and undertand all.

I can't say anything new, but I can reapeat what has been already written.

jr5732152  wrote

Adobe ( or at least Anwesha) replied on August 15th 2017 (  Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View  ) . There may be other Adobe comments earlier, probably not. Since it was FIXED in version 15, which was released a year ago, they have known about the problem for at least a year AND NOT FIXED IT IN OTHER VERSIONS. So, I think that saying that the estimate of more than 90 days is an understatement.

What has been already written is that the first complaints were spotted on middle August.

Abruptly, Elements versions 11 to 14 ceased to be able to display Google maps.

Elements 15 NEVER had this problem.

There has been no change in the coding of Elements versions, old or current.

Nobody contest the fact that Google changed something at that date precisely, namely external softwares acess the necessary routines (APIs) to 'talk' to Google Maps.

So, there has been no FIX done to Elements 15. Remember that Elements 15 was issued exactly the 4th of October last year.

We can't know what kind of information Google gave to Adobe when Elements 15 was coded, maybe 18 monts ago. You are free to think that Google told evil Adobe in advance that the routines would be abruptly changed in 18 months, which made Adobe programmers change the way to access Google Maps via other routines. Others may think that Adobe had other reasons to use new routines and enhance its map feature...

We may consider two sides on the issue which causes much grief to a very small part of Elements users. The technical side and the commercial, consumer side.

Technical (computer software)

- if PSE15 works, it's because it uses the right routines

- there has been no FIX to PSE15

- a fix may be relatively simple and solved with an 'hotfix' solution like in version 13.1.1. It may need more serious reprogramming of the software requiring uninstalling and installing a new version. It's also risky, recent similar updates have triggered installation problems when you keep several versions together.

- Such a real FIX may be relatively fast to correct or may require long development and testing. Just look at the time Adove issues fixes for the CC subscription model. That may be 2 months to one year...

- Issueing a FIX, like a 15.1 update is not a trifle, it implies a lot of work from a lot of employees, and that may hinder the development of new versions.

- Even solutions for a workaround like using the trial version of the organizer 15 for free after 30 days may require technical as well as legal sides.

Now, the commercial, consumer side:

- No doubt Adobe has to do something, even if it has always been clear that they only support (issue fixes, patchs, updates) the current software version. Not only Elements. If you want permanent support, update via the subscription model. For Elements, pay the upgrade to the yearly new version. Adobe employees told they were working on that issue (for older versions, since the PSE15 current version works ok).

- Adobe must discuss the problem with Google, who is at the root of the issue. You'll never know anything about those discussions.

- Adobe has decided not to issue any update this year, even if there were more serious problems found

- Elements is NOT a key software for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying the situation Michel.

I can add the following:-

As I purchased PSE/Premiere Elements14 combo from an Australian retailer, it is covered by Australian consumer protection legislation, which states that a product should perform to its original specification, for "a reasonable time", if not it must be fixed replaced or refunded.

Although this may or may not be the case in USA, I believe it is very much the case in Europe.

This consumer protection cannot be removed by any "contract" when it was sold.

Past cases have set precedents that 1 year for software that costs A$227.00 is not "a reasonable time", possibly 2, more likely 5 years may be accepted.

Of course the only redress I have is directly with the Australian retailer, and I will be pursuing this.

Meanwhile Adobe should be aware that their retailers around the world may well have contravened local consumer protection legislation.

Adobe  should be fixing this urgently, or giving free upgrades to PSE15.

Meanwhile they are rapidly destroying their own reputation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello MichelBParis,

- Adobe must discuss the problem with Google, who is at the root of the issue. You'll never know anything about those discussions.

Google has an API for Google maps and Adobe use this API in Elements 15 so that is the reason why it works.

Google Maps APIs  |  Google Developers

Adobe can change the API call in Elements 11-14.

>If you want permanent support, update via the subscription model. For Elements, pay the upgrade to the yearly new version.

I only want software thats work with the feature that I have payed in the past, not more features but not less than before.

Best regards

Oliver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

olhu4343  wrote

Hello MichelBParis,

What I said.

Google has an API for Google maps and Adobe use this API in Elements 15 so that is the reason why it works.

Google Maps APIs  |  Google Developers

Also what I said.

Adobe can change the API call in Elements 11-14.

No doubt Adobe could change the code and issue new updated versions for Elements 11, 12, 13,14.

No doubt either that Adobe has never made updated versions for non current softwares. Do you know many other software editors who do?

So, since you seem to have a good technical understanding of such softwares updates, do you think a 'hotfix' like in versions 13.1.1 could be provided to update only the way to change the API calls to Google Maps?

I am just another user like you and not here to be Adobe's advocate. As previously mentioned, this user to user forum is not the best place to complain to Adobe, the feedback forum is the one to use.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

>If you want permanent support, update via the subscription model. For Elements, pay the upgrade to the yearly new version.

I only want software thats work with the feature that I have payed in the past, not more features but not less than before.

I agree.

The problem is much more general that the present issue. Whether you like it or not, a software editor can't guarantee that features working by the time the software is current (OS version, driver changes, hardware new features...) will work 'perpetually' even with a perpetual license.There are so many problems with OS changes those last years that it's illusory that I will be able to still use my old PSE6 on my Windows 10. If you add that Windows 10 updates make it nearly impossible to roll back to older versions, the future is not brilliant. My consumer advice to other consumers is to be aware of the present situation: when comparing the annual cost of subscription to 'perpetual' licences, be realistic and consider the cost of upgrading every three or four years or so. That does not mean I don't agree with your last statement, Adobe has to find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,
I follow all the opinions on this question that many people are asking and I am very dissatisfied with the attitude of ADOBE that remains silent.
The solution is not to switch to PSE15 and pay this upgrade. The organizer of PSE15 has its own bugs, especially in full screen menus of the top bar become inacessible, PSE15 does not work properly in full screen mode. Adobe does not talk about this bug and yet it is well present. This is inaceptbale compared to the price that practical Adobe.
For a possible fix of the organizer bug PSE 11,12,13, 14 I think we will never see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only does PSE15 have the problems you mention, it also requires a 64 bit Windows system - some of us are still using 32 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Adobe has just brought out a new version labeled 2018. Is this the same as v16? It looks as though you cannot upgrade from 14 to 2018 but the price for a new licence is less than the new price for v15 and only slightly more than the upgrade price for v15. Very confused!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 10/5/17, the day after PSE 2018 was released. I bought it, installed it, and the map display is broken on the latest and greatest version. VERY disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines