• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 15 won't reopen in Windows 10

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open Elements once and close it, then it won't reopen.  I have to open Task Manager, find Photoshop Elements 15 Editor, click on it then click on
end Task and then I can reopen it.  How can I force Elements to completely close after I exit so I don't have to go through Task Manager all the time.  Yes I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it.  Running Windows 10  with all The latest updates.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does this happen if you don't open any image?

Which Anti-virus software are you running?

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it happens even if I don't open any image.  Running Defender.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you start the editor via the welcome screen or from the organizer?

Have you tried creating a shortcut directly to the editor?

-Use Windows file explorer to go to the folder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 15

-Look for file PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe

-Right click on the file and pin it to the taskbar or star screen

Try loading it directly

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that and also running it as an administrator. Thanks for trying to help!

Monte

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try resetting your preferences.

In the editor, go to the Edit menu and select Preferences -> General

Click on Reset Preferences on next launch and click on OK

Close the editor - you may have to end the task to kill it off

Then try Load/Close/Load sequence

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried this and it didn't work either.  It still leaves it in the task manager and won't reload.  I get the splash screen like it's going to load and then nothing.  It's still listed in the processes using 101.9 MB of memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just to check, is your Windows 10 version 1709? [Start -> System -> About - Windows specification]

Did you install PSE from DVD, download or store?

Did you install it to the default location?

Have you seen any problems with other applications?

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 1709 is yes

Downloaded PSE to DVD Then installed from there

Yes, It is installed in the default location

No problems noticed with other software (including Photoshop CS4.  I use CS4 but my wife likes to use PSE).

Premier Elements 15 (Installed the same way as PSE) appears to be working but I haven't tried to actually do anything with it since the reinstall.  It opens, closes and reopens normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling the Adobe Updater from opening at startup.

When it won't fully close, rather than End Task, try right clicking on Photoshop Elements in Task Manager > Go To Process > End Process.

I have had this happen in other Adobe applications and it usually goes back to closing normally after a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Just tried this and am still getting the same results.  I've never ran into it with Adobe products before  but maybe it will fix itself like you say. I've checked for Adobe updates but none show up and tried to contact Adobe but the just said to try here.  They weren't any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have you tried it with just Photoshop Elements installed and not Premiere Elements?

Try uninstalling both Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements and the only install Photoshop Elements. See if the problem still occurs.

Incidentally there are (at least) four ways to close the editor, I assume they all go through the same code.

1 - X at the top right corner

2 - File -> Exit

3 - Ctrl & Q

4 - Alt & F4

It shouldn't make any difference but it might be worth trying an alternative.

Do you use the organizer? Have you tried closing the editor with the organizer open?

I'm afraid that the same problem was reported in PSE 13 but never got answered. We need to try and find out more about how to receate your problem before we can expect Adobe to fix it.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I just uninstalled everything, reinstalled just PSE and it still won't reopen.  I tried the alternative methods 1-4 that you suggested and tried opening the organizer and then opening and closing PSE all with no luck.  My wife likes to use the organizer but I don't usually use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  Just had the same problem and your tip worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact problem after the Windows April update (1803).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also want to add my name on the list having the same problem using Windows 10 1909 and Photoshop Elements 2020. Opened a discussion under

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/photoshop-elements-2020-starting-only-once-and-the...

and so far I have not gotten any helpful comments on how to resolve the issue.

Silvan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines