• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 2023 and Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how well the new Photoshop Elements 2023 is working with Lightroom Classic.  I use both Elements and Lightroom Classic together now and things work pretty well.  Is that the case with the new version of Elements?

TOPICS
How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@janeh88919911, it's not clear what your question is asking.  You can download a free trial of Elements 2023 and see for yourself whether it meets your needs.  As far as I know, nothing has changed in the way Elements and Lr play together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last year I tried updating/upgrading Elements and ran into a glitch.  My usual workflow is to download into elements organizer, edit the image in Lightroom for exposure etc, then do final edits if needed in elements photoshop expert, save and title the image.  So every image I consider "done" has been saved and titled.  However the newer version of elements used a different version of Camera Raw then Lightrooms camera raw and when I went to do those final edits the image would not open in the Elements Editor. There were other people having this issue to and I spoke with Adobe but the work around didn't really fix my issue.  so, now another year has passed and I wonder if both LR camera Raw and Elements 2023 are on the same page....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Lightroom subscription will constantly upgrade the version of ACR that is available for that program.  Elements does not.  However, there is a workaround that will allow you to upgrade a recent version of Elements to the latest version of ACR.  See this article

But I'm not sure this is the problem you are describing in your workflow.  That is why I suggest you download the free trial and see for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is basically the issue.  I did manage to get camera raw version 10.3 into my old elements but it still won’t add Nikon Z50 files to the organizer.  The Camera Raw version needed is only 9.1 but Elements 2018 didn’t ship with that version.

My understanding is the new version of Elements 2023 doesn’t have camera raw at all……….that you have to add it separately.  Which in the long run may allow it to always be able to be updated.

I have a large catalog.  I am willing to try the trial version to see if it works if I can bypass transferring the catalog.  Do you have a suggestion on how to do that?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@janeh88919911 said:  I did manage to get camera raw version 10.3 into my old elements but it still won’t add Nikon Z50 files to the organizer. The Camera Raw version needed is only 9.1 but Elements 2018 didn’t ship with that version.

I think you are misinterpreting the Camera Support page.   Your Z50 camera requires ACR 12.1.   It is Lightroom version 9.1 that is required to support the camera.  Lightroom is built upon the same technology as ACR but doesn't use it as a plug-in.  This is why Lr can open your Z50 files but Elements 2018 cannot.  I think you may be able to upgrade your current ACR to 12.1 but I'm not sure.  I'll try it out later if you really want to know.

@janeh88919911 said: My understanding is the new version of Elements 2023 doesn’t have camera raw at all……….that you have to add it separately. Which in the long run may allow it to always be able to be updated.

That's not quite accurate.  Yes, you have to download ACR separately.  But that is only because Adobe has chosen to make the program downloads smaller and save computer space for those users who do not need ACR at all.  Based on past history, Elements will update ACR once or possibly twice during the product life.  It will generally not update the ACR version after the following year's version is released.  (But the workaround will work for some later ACR versions.)

@janeh88919911 said:  I have a large catalog. I am willing to try the trial version to see if it works if I can bypass transferring the catalog. Do you have a suggestion on how to do that? 

When you first open the Organizer in Elements 2023, you will be prompted to update/convert your current (2018) catalog.  You should say yes.  A copy of your old catalog will be made and renamed with a -1 suffix.  You will be able to work with that catalog again in Elements 2018, but you may need to look for the renamed catalog in the File>Manage Catalogs dialog.

So, bottom line, it seems that the problem you were having relates to the fact that your camera's raw files are not supported by Elements 2018.  Upgrading to Elements 2023 will solve that problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Greg.  You are really very knowledgeable. I did download the trial version of Elements 2023 and yes it will open my Z50 files, transfer them through LR and back to the Elements Organizer just the way I am use to doing it.  I did not yet transfer the elements catalog but I am getting up my courage to that too.

BUT, I have another question for you.........I have muliple versions of Elements on my hard drive, like 9, 10, and 11........can I just uninstall those old ones now or is each new version building on the old versions.  I have enough hard drive to keep them all but I see all those choicing for editing in LR and maybe that would clean up that too.  I keep my photos on external drives which I backup to an another external drive.  Thank you for responding and understanding things so well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can safely delete your prior versions of Elements.  Each version is a separate installation.  The catalogs that you have used with each version do not get deleted automatically, so you would have to delete them manually.  They do not take up too much room and can be used as backups that can always be converted again if need be. 

My only caveat to deleting prior versions is that occassionally features get deleted from the program or substantially changed.  The one that grabs the attention of many users is the Organizer's Slideshow feature that operates in an entirely new way from versions prior to Elements 2018.  If you prefer the prior version's feature, there is no harm in keeping it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.  I'm taking the plunge and adding the catalog into the new Elements. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines