• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 5.02 - Attempt to access invalid address

New Here ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to launch Photoshop 5.02 the welcome screen is displayed and I can open the Organizer, but when I attempt to open the Quick Fix or the other editor programs I get a dialogue box "Attempt to access invalid address"

This problem is on my profile only as Photoshop works when another user is logged in to the PC ( OS: Vista Home 32bit) and was working ok until a few week ago.

I have tried the following with no success:
Reinstalled the s/w.
Deleing the Photoshop folder from the AppData in my profile folder.
Deleting the Photoshop registry entries from Current User.
Searched the web for a solution

I know that I could delete my profile and create a new one, but I would only do this if all else failed as I would loose other settings just when I have all setup the way I want it.

Could anyone give me any pointers to where I might look to resolve this please.

Thank you. Niall

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 13, 2009 Jul 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had user control turned off. I turned it on, right clicked to Run As Administrator and it works at least for now. Hopefully the situation is in control and maybe that will work for all. I'm running Vista Home Premium.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have recently had the same problem! I also found that if I run the programme as an administrator it worked. I e-mailed Adobe but have not had a reply. Looking at the messages on this site it does look as though Adobe is ignoring us and this problem. I just hope that running as an administrator does not cause any problems as I'm not that good on the computer to be able to fix a more complicated problem. I don't have the option of removing and reinstalling the programme as I had the programme in the computer when I purchased it and do not have a disc. Also for some reason I can't find a serial number on the programme other than a Sony customer serial number.

All the best

Alan @ aberporth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found an answer that worked for me, after ALL else failed. I have tried all of the suggestions on the forum and nothing else worked.

I uninstalled BitDefender 2009 Free Edition from my XP, Sp3 machine and the Photoshop Elements 5.02 Editor started working normally again.  I hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be way too late for anyone to use this info, but I just went through the same aggravation all of you seem to have experienced and then some... since most of you seem to have Vista.  I was using XP, not wanting to deal with the problems I heard were plaguing Vista users.  Still, I got the same invalid address message and tried what I could from your postings.  Then I spied the one about uninstalling Bit Defender 2009 and having access to Elements again.  I have Bit Defender Total Security 2010 recently installed, and found that instead of uninstalling it, I can just put it in Game Mode and I can use Elements again.  I have the 2009 version on my laptop, and I assume you can put that in Game Mode to regain access to Elements also.  I don't have Elements installed on my laptop.  Both of my computers are using XP.  So if there are any other dinosaurs out there who still have the old stuff, this may help you too.  Adobe doesn't help us at all.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a terrible shame when, otherwise excellent software, is ruined by poor customer service. I had problems because APE5 would not recognise mp4 videos or see my camcorder. I then found AVS4YOU and it takes care of all these problems and many others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Dizzy55.  I got the access error message same day I upgraded to Bitdefender Internet Security 2010 and don't have Chrome so I new it was related to that installation (XP and Bitdefender 2009 no problem with PE 5).  Your Game Mode solution worked for me.  Unfortunately 'game mode' allows protection level to go to 'permissive' so I think it is important to turn off this mode when finished editing with PE 5 (there is a"G" on the Bitdefender icon in the tray to let you know it is on -- can use hotkey Ctrl+Alt+Shift+G to toggle game mode on and off).  For anyone (especially callus Adobe tech staff) who wants to figure this out -- Bitdefender Internet Security 2010 Game Mode does the following:

Game Mode temporarily modifies protection settings so as to minimize their impact on  system performance. While in Game Mode, the following settings are applied:

• All BitDefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled.

• The BitDefender real-time protection level is set to Permissive.

• The BitDefender firewall is set to Allow  all. This means that all new connections (both incoming and  outgoing) are automatically allowed, regardless of the port and protocol being  used.

• Updates are not performed by default.

• Scheduled scan tasks are by default disabled.

...as found in Bitdefender Help Guide under Game Mode.  If someone figures out how to config Bitdefender so you don't have to use Game Mode that would be preferrable -- I will write to Bitdefender.  Probably related to the firewall alteration in Game Mode.  It is bull that Adobe doesn't help here.

-rp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem arose for me last week.  Went to edit some photo's and got the same error message.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Elements 5.02, no change.  Tried a couple other things, no result.  Found this forum and tried deinstalling Google Chrome and it worked!!  Seems fine now - however, I will bookmark this page so I can try some of the other suggestions if it fails again.  Thanks guys, was getting a tad frustrated there for a while!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2010 Apr 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BitDefender was the "culprit" in my case and it happened after upgrading it to bitdefender 2010. Now the important thing is that you do not need to disable or even put it in the gaming mode but you can selectively exclude PS editor from the check list.

Open up BitDefender ("Show") then Antivirus->Shield->Advance Settings and add the programm file to the table "Exclusions".

-Marcin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working Again - I install the latest service pack for vista  and I decided to test Photoshop this morning and to my surprise it worked. So now instead of rolling back on the updates try installing all updates that are available.

Does this work for anyone else?

Niall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several people have posted on other sites that the problem is due to an interaction between Photoshop Elements 5 and Google Chrome, Google's web browser. That was true in my case also.

If you have Chrome, uninstall it and Elements will work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesssss....That fixed it for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it and it seems to work.  I've had it work before and then had the problem return, so I'm not 100% sure yet. But so far, so good.  Now why couldn't ADOBE tell us that?  Thank you, RandomWalker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem and never had Chrome installed. In any case, PSE has been working for awhile now. I am not sure why though... maybe the problem was fixed in an MS update.

Oh... One strange issue is that I can no longer seem to open files is PSE 5 by dragging and dropping them from ACDSee... previously I could. Perhaps another MS update related issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be darned! Uninstalled Google Chrome, wasn't using it anyway, and the

PSE5 works just like it is supposed to. Big thank you to the sharp person

who realized this one.

-- Thom

**************Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to

School

(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223106546x1201717234/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D8)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did as you said and it worked for me too. Thank you so much!

Alan @ aberporth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello RandomWalker

Yes that solution does work. I was getting an invalid address error message again, but did not realize that Google chrome was the problem. I had just recently re-installed the latter because I like it. Just as an aside to those who still want to use Chrome, invoke adminstrator privileges on the shortcuts to PSE 5.02. That is an end around fix until this issue is resolved (if ever). Otherwise just stop using Chrome. They'll ask for your feedback. Do reply. I did and hopefully someone will provide a fix to us PSE 5.02 users.

By the way how did you figure out that Chrome was the problem?

Cheers, Donald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I googled for the error message and found a post from user "dbmp1971" at http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42149, who said:

"I was very lucky in that mine only stopped working yesterday. It was easy to then see what I had installed that was stopping Elements from working. It was Google Chrome. As soon as I uninstalled, no more issues."

When I found that it worked for me also, I posted it to this forum since this is an official Adobe forum and no one else had posted. I did notify Google about why I was uninstalling their browser.

The Administrator privilege work-around worked for me also, but I didn't like the User Access Control frequently demanding my permission to do simple things. I normally keep that turned off. If I really liked Chrome, I would put up with the UAC annoyance, but I'm happy with Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2009 Aug 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello...

I'm having exactly the same issue, but unfortunately the fixes have not worked for me...including removing Chrome.  I am using XP SP2 instead of Vista if that matters...anyone have any luck fixing this problem with XP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jackmcn,

Sorry things haven't worked for you.  Some other program is the problem.  Uninstalling BitDefender 10 free virus program worked on my XP installation.  Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix worked for me.  I removed the Google Chrome and I could immediately operate my Photoshop program.  Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the replies, and I am happy some of benefited from this thread...unfortunately, removing Chrome still does not work, even though I went through the process of removing it manually (described here)... Any other suggestions (oh, I am not using Bit Defender 10)....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2009 Aug 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say to all of you a big thanks. Through your efforts I found the problem solved by uninstalling Google Chrome. I will tell Google and Adobe (outstanding Support case) but perhpas we can keep Version 5 alive through this forum.

Trevor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2009 Aug 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally...some relief... My problem has also now been solved... Thanks to pananmajay, I did look into turning off my Bit Defender firewall (not using free service) and activated the windows firewall...I have also insured all instances of Chrome were removed and voila...working again. I will inform Bit Defender of this issue, and thanks for the help...although I am still iritated at Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2010 Jun 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so very much for posting about the Google Chrome conflict. I uninstalled it and PSE 5 opened right up. It scared me when it didn't open before uninstalling Chrome because I use it for my graphics design business. I'm rather annoyed at Google for this issue for the moment, especially because Chrome piggybacked on Google Earth and I didn't notice the almost hidden check box to not install the browser with Google Earth.

Either way, thank you very, very much!

~Susanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2010 Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my findings with this problem that just recently came up.  It's BitDefender Internet Security 2010 the AntiVirus function.  I disabled all functions and enabled each on then going to PhotoShop and accessing Edit.  The only function that I got the error message was the AntiVirus.  My ops is Windows XP Professional and using PhotoShop Elements 4.  I've contacted BitDefender and awaiting a reply.  The 2008 version didn't have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines