• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 5.02 - Attempt to access invalid address

New Here ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to launch Photoshop 5.02 the welcome screen is displayed and I can open the Organizer, but when I attempt to open the Quick Fix or the other editor programs I get a dialogue box "Attempt to access invalid address"

This problem is on my profile only as Photoshop works when another user is logged in to the PC ( OS: Vista Home 32bit) and was working ok until a few week ago.

I have tried the following with no success:
Reinstalled the s/w.
Deleing the Photoshop folder from the AppData in my profile folder.
Deleting the Photoshop registry entries from Current User.
Searched the web for a solution

I know that I could delete my profile and create a new one, but I would only do this if all else failed as I would loose other settings just when I have all setup the way I want it.

Could anyone give me any pointers to where I might look to resolve this please.

Thank you. Niall

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2009 Aug 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Again, Everyone.

I find it discouraging and yet amazing that this problem is still going on and still no help from Adobe.  What would it cost them to tell us how to fix this?

I couldn't get it to work and keep it working so I gave in and bought Photoshop Elements 7. Not because I'm happy with Adobe - far from it.  It just seemed the best choice for what I wanted and I felt stuck between a rock and a hard place.  After I already bought it, installed it, and didn't like it much, I saw the post about Google Chrome.  Sure enough, Chrome was on my computer and I uninstalled it.  Lo and Behold Elements 5.02 mostly works again - MOSTLY.  Not 100% though.  I'll probalby learn Elements 7 eventually since I paid for it, but I find it very different from the 5.02 that I liked so much.

I'm extremely disappointed in Adobe as a company, sorry that I continued to support a company that doesn't support its paying customers, and generally fed up with the whole thing.  I went out two weeks ago and bought an Apple laptop and it's like a whole new world.  I did not purchase Adobe Photoshop for the Mac.  I don't seem to need to.

Regards,

Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2009 Aug 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eileen...I couldn't agree with you more on this topic...It certainly does appear Adobe just doesn't care about this issue and knows (unfortunately) that most people will simply get fed up and upgrade to a newer version... I can imagine this type of corporate strategy (not supporting legacy software) will become more and more prevelant in the future as companies focus on short term gain rather than long term market position... It's still a pisser though, and I really would like to try and solve the issue with Elements 5.02....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2009 Aug 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need a photo editor, you can check out Pixelmator, acorn, and the various GIMP programs. Probably Seashore is the easiest of the GIMPs, and Pixelmator probably comes closest (although not very close) to PSE in terms of editing features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2009 Aug 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to this discussion....Since un-installing Chrome I have had no further issues. I use Vista 32-bit Basic. In fact, I added another gig of RAM  for a total of 3 - no problems. I also updated to Vista SP2- no problems. When updating Vista to SP2 turn-off third party anti-virus and firewall, engage Windows firewall and there should be no issues. PSE 5.02 works fine under Vista SP2. As a note, my system is an Acer Aspire T180.

As for WinXp users I also have another system which uses XP home and no issues except that PSE runs sluggishly. This system has has an older Asus mobo with a Duron processor and 512 ram. With PSE you should have at the least 2 gigs RAM and a mobo no older than 2 yrs for optimal performance.

Regards, Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2009 Aug 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barbara,

Thanks but having removed Google Chrome all is working as normal.

Trevor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2009 Aug 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I was replying to EileenNY's post about running a mac without a PS product. Those are all mac alternatives. Sorry for any confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2009 Oct 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so glad I found this thread!!  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, repaired, downloaded the trial of 8.0, blah....worked literally for 12 hours today  (not including the many other times in the last few months I've tried to get it to work) trying to get my program to work.  I don't even know how Google Chrome got onto my laptop since I didn't download it and no one else uses my computer, but that was the evil little culprit.  So now I don't have to give in to corporate greed and go buy the newest version when I like 5.0 just fine.  It's nearing 2:30am and I can finally go to bed now that I have solved that problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2009 Nov 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem: all of a sudden couldn't open PSE 5.0.2 on either of my two PC's (running XP SP3) after years of easy use. What worked for me was a combination of going in under administrator AND putting my Bitdefender Internet Security 2010 into Game Mode. I did not try XP safe-mode. I am very suspicious the culprit is in the latest update of BitDefender and perhaps in others' Security systems. Also note that I found repeated efforts to start the Editor occassionaly failed because PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe from a previous attempts were still running. I cleared them in the Task Manager Process Window and this solved my "too many tries in a short time" problem. Thanks for everyone's contributions on this subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling Google Chrome fixed the problem for me.

I had tried an uninstall and re-install, but I still had the problem until I uninstalled Google Chrome.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 20, 2010 Jun 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Atempt to access invalid address.

I had this problem wednesday June 16th. I fixed it yesterday. I installed Real Player on wednesday and with it came Google Chrome. I uninstalled Real Player and Google Chrome and the message stopped. Double check that you have uninstalled it on the windows installed  programme List (reached thru control panel) . I restarted instead of shut down and it worked on restart.

This message could possibly appear for recently installed software/games/.

Why this should happen noobody knows. Adobe is not interested in PSE5. I rang them and they do not cover PSE5 anymore. Maybe they do not even understand their own software

Linoprintmaker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2010 Apr 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my two penneth...

1. Adobe, get your act together: your paying customers are struggling through a (very) common issue without any help from you the vendor.

2. This 'invalid address' issue has now bitten me twice. whenever something screwy happens the first question I always ask is what changed/what did I do last. In both instances the only changes were Windows Updates (Vista, the most complex virus ever created).

3. Whilst I perhaps could have reveted to a non updated version of Vista, I figure that the only thing worse than an updated Vista is a vista full of security holes

4. Anyhoo, the fix last time around (early 2009) was to shut down Skype and also run PSE 5 in Admin mode (right click PSE icon, Propertis then Compatability tab), BUT the problem has reappeared and Killing Skype has no impact.

5. Looks like many of the posts here have identified Chrome as a culprit (tried that, no joy )

6. BitDefender also may cause problems, but choosing to shut down my paid for security is a hard pill to swallow

7. PSE5 has (for me) previsouly worked with both Chrome and BitDefender running but never Skype (which I only need to stop, NOT uninstall)

8. SO, my tentative conclusion is that Windows updates are causing PSE to clash with 'other stuff' and the comment in the thread that running in safe mode works OK supports that. The 'Other Stuff' which clashes varies from one PC to another and from one Windows update to another (Great !).

9. For now I have stopped a bunch of stuff (Bit Defender, Quicktime, Messenger, Skype, Chrome) and PSE 5 is up and running - although it is probably easier to just start in safemode.

10 ADOBE: GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER. not supporting older products will NOT encourage us to buy newer versions it will enourage us to go elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2010 Apr 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen!

In a message dated 4/11/2010 2:58:37 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,

forums@adobe.com writes:

my two penneth...

1. Adobe, get your act together: your paying customers are struggling

through a (very) common issue without any help from you the vendor.

2. This 'invalid address' issue has now bitten me twice. whenever

something screwy happens the first question I always ask is what changed/what did I

do last. In both instances the only changes were Windows Updates (Vista,

the most complex virus ever created).

3. Whilst I perhaps could have reveted to a non updated version of Vista,

I figure that the only thing worse than an updated Vista is a vista full of

security holes

4. Anyhoo, the fix last time around (early 2009) was to shut down Skype

and also run PSE 5 in Admin mode (right click PSE icon, Propertis then

Compatability tab), BUT the problem has reappeared and Killing Skype has no

impact.

5. Looks like many of the posts here have identified Chrome as a culprit

(tried that, no joy )

6. BitDefender also may cause problems, but choosing to shut down my paid

for security is a hard pill to swallow

7. PSE5 has (for me) previsouly worked with both Chrome and BitDefender

running but never Skype (which I only need to stop, NOT uninstall)

8. SO, my tentative conclusion is that Windows updates are causing PSE to

clash with 'other stuff' and the comment in the thread that running in safe

mode works OK supports that. The 'Other Stuff' which clashes varies from

one PC to another and from one Windows update to another (Great !).

9. For now I have stopped a bunch of stuff (Bit Defender, Quicktime,

Messenger, Skype, Chrome) and PSE 5 is up and running - although it is probably

easier to just start in safemode.

10 ADOBE: GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER. not supporting older products will NOT

encourage us to buy newer versions it will enourage us to go elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2010 Apr 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through the same routine of reinstall, fix and a complete uninstall & reinstall.  My resolution to the problem was to uninstall a recently installed program "The Deluxe Shield 2010" and Photoshop worked as it used to.  I am using Windows XP Professional.  Perhaps you should look at  a recently installed program that Elements may not be compatable with.

Sal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with Adobe PSE 5.0 using XP Pro and Shield Deluxe 2010. Another "solution" is to put Shield Deluxe 2010 in  "Game Mode" before opening PSE 5.0. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling PSE 5.0 which did not help. Also renamed the preference files to have them reset. No help either. I have tried to get some help from Shield Deluxe, no help there. It seems it is something with PSE 5.0 as it does it with some other anti-virus programs as well. When you said you uninstalled Shield Deluxe, did you also reinstall it, or have you decided to use another anti-virus program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2011 Apr 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the fix.

1) Locate PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe.

2) Right click and select Properties

3) Check the Hidden check box.

4) Click Apply or Okay.

Problem solved.

For some reason, selecting hidden keeps it from the interference of other programs that would stop it from running.

*You might need to create a desktop shortcut just for the PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OKAY here's another thing to look at.

This morning I was editing some photographs with Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.02 on my Vista computer, no problem.

Later in the morning a "REALPLAYER UPDATE" popped up and I installed the REALPLAYER update.

This afternoon I tried to open Elements and got the "attempt to access invalid address" window.

I found and read THIS thread, and was about to uninstall Google Chrome when I remembered the REALPLAYER update, and, on a whim, uninstalled REALPLAYER, ticking ALL the optional boxes in the Uninstall window.

Restarted Windows Vista and Elements is operating correctly!!! Hooray!!

One of the sub programes from the REALPLAYER update was a "Google Chrome" plug in..........

So IF your Photoshop Elements problem started just after a REALPLAYER update, consider that as a possible culprit......

Graham, Cornwall UK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for emailing me and you are so kind. I did uninstall the Real Player - or so I thought I did. I went to a company and he cleaned out my Hard drive : factory reset. They stored documents and emails onto a dvd.

I reinstalled Photoshop elements 5.2 and it worked on reinstalling. I know the real player is active on a TV online channel so I avoided to install it.

I got this reply below and I think this would work too .

Thank you

Paula

Here is the fix.

1) Locate PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe.

2) Right click and select Properties

3) Check the Hidden check box.

4) Click Apply or Okay.

Problem solved.

For some reason, selecting hidden keeps it from the interference of other programs that would stop it from running.

*You might need to create a desktop shortcut just for the PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2011 Jul 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found that once I uninstalled RealPlayer the problem disappeared and I could load PSE 5.0.2 without any problems. I didn't have Google Chrome installed nor did I try any other suggestions in this thread.

The RealPlayer version I was using (latest - June 2011) had Chrome "hooks" and plugin which seemed to affect Photoshop Elements 5.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines