• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export Button Is Grayed Out.

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using Photoshop Elements 30 day trial, finished compositing an image and couldn't export it because the export button was grayed out. There doesn't seem to be anything that happens when I try to click "Export" that tells me why this is. Does anyone have any idea as to why this is or how i can fix it? Are you unable to export during your 30 day trial or something? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

You should use 'Save As', not 'Export' when in the editor. It's normal that the 'export' option be grayed out in the editor.

There is an 'Export as new files' function in the Organizer menu to export a batch of files with various options.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should use 'Save As', not 'Export' when in the editor. It's normal that the 'export' option be grayed out in the editor.

There is an 'Export as new files' function in the Organizer menu to export a batch of files with various options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for helping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why is there an Export option in the File menu, even if greyed out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some third party plugins and/or scripts use the Export menu.

(same is true of the Automation Tools menu)

ex.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the point, and please do not patronize us by telling us what we "should" or should not do. The point is that 'Save As' always defaults to the PSD file format, and apparently the only way to reset that to a different file format (like JPG or PNG) is to set the export preference under File\Export. So if Export is grayed out you prevent us from doing that. Sooo annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your referring to photoshop, not photoshop elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not. I am referring to Photoshop Elements, which is what this thread is for. And if this menu item were in fact only for Photoshop, then why is it included in Photoshop Elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop elements does not have File>Export As like photoshop does in the photoshop elements editor so that's why by default the Export menu is greyed out because no relevant commands are under the Export menu in the pse editor unless a user installs a plugin or script that specifically uses the Export menu like in my below screenshot.

Photoshop elements defaults to psd if your file has layers or other items that file formats like jpegs don't support.

The photoshop elements Organizer does have File>Export As New Files, so maybe you thinking about that.

Photoshop CC (photoshop 2022) has a File>Export As

Exas1.jpg

photoshop elements editor even with third party plugins/scripts that enable the Export menu, there is no default provision for exporting files.

ex.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If elements is not able to export layers to files without a plugin, where can I find this plugin? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If elements is not able to export layers to files without a plugin, where can I find this plugin? 

By @delboy007

Have a look at Elements+, a very affordable set of scripts to recover a number of the full Photosop features.

https://simplephotoshop.com/elementsplus/

Precisely

https://simplephotoshop.com/elementsplus/help/en/layers-to-files.htm

(Author Andrei Doubrovski)

Also, the original post is not about 'export layers to files', it's about exporting files, which has another (ill-defined) meaning in the full Photoshop and does not refer to anything in Photoshop Elements. On the contrary, the 'export' function in the organizer does describe the function of processing a batch of selected files according to different criteria (size, quality, converting, renaming...) and writing the result in a selected folder. That 'export to new files' command is a way to process that batch and to make the result available to 'external' software. The 'exported' processed copies are not included in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's brilliant thanks. And very reasonable price. Sorry about posting to the wrong thread. I was looking at two questions and replied to the wrong one although they are connected as I couldn't understand why some sites were saying to click "Export>layers to files" and yet I couldn't do that because it was greyed out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just wondering if after installing elements+ it resolved the issue of having the EXPORT function greyed out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just wondering if after installing elements+ it resolved the issue of having the EXPORT function greyed out?

By @Desertrat

Hi @Desertrat 

As explained in that conversation, there is no issue with what you are calling the "EXPORT function" which is available under the command name "export as". The saving dialog box lets you choose your preferred file format and warns you if you are losing data (mainly layers) in the conversion process.

So, I don't see the point of adding a script to Elements+ since its goal is to implement missing features in Elements which may be available in Photoshop.

Just have a look at the existing scripts:

https://elementsplus.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use the Export function for the purpose of Export>Layers as files. (example export each individual layer as a png file). I can do that in Photoshop but not in Photoshop Elements. does Elements+ have a script that performs that particular Export function?/. I don't see that it does.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use the Export function for the purpose of Export>Layers as files. (example export each individual layer as a png file). I can do that in Photoshop but not in Photoshop Elements. does Elements+ have a script that performs that particular Export function?/. I don't see that it does.  

By @Desertrat

Yes, "Export layers as files" is available in the scripts section of Elements+.

Scroll down in my previous link to the scripts list;

https://elementsplus.net/help/en/layers-to-files.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome.  Thank you for the precise link. I will check it out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines