• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Face analysis after cropping

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have a photo in which the faces were already analyzed and tagged and then I crop it using Photoshop Elements 2021 Editor, the tagged faces are in the wrong place in the resulting cropped photo. Although the tags are right, when I hover on the photo, the name tags are in some random (possibly the original) place.

It isn't a problem when I edit before importing, but that defeats the purpose of combining the products.

How do I fix this without manually removing and re-marking the faces? Is there any way to reanalyze a group of selected photos?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you are correct in indicating that when you crop a photo the face coordinates are not changed and since they are probably relative to an X-Y axis starting at a corner, the recognized face position may change.  I have never run into this problem because I always create a copy or version set of any photo I edit, and the result is that the People Tag is not transferred to the new file (presumably because of the very problem you describe).  Instead, face recognition will take place on the newly edited photo and the coordinates for the face will be reset.  So, for the future, that is what I suggest you do.

But, if you really want to overwrite your edited files or want to reset the faces for the existing edited files, I believe you can do so by the following procedure:

• Select the folder containing the edited file(s) in the My Folders panel.  (This makes it easier to find a particular image and face.)
  • Go to the People room.  Only faces found in images in the selected folder will be displayed.
  • Select the stack of the person whose face(s) are in the wrong place because of the crop.
  • Select the faces in the stack that are in the wrong place.
  • Choose one of the Not this Person commands.  (Either the button or click on the "forbidden" icon that appears on the face)

The result should be that the erroneous tag is removed and the image will go through the face recognition process again and find the correct face coordinates.

Some final comments:  Do you really need the face coordinates to be in the correct position?  For me, the value of face recognition is to tag photos that can be searched using the name tag.  I don't want or need to view a stack of faces.  So if the face in a stack is blank it really makes no difference to me.   (I can understand that there may be situations where having the face properly marked may be important to a user.)

It seems to me that the workflow you have already found is probably the easiest one.  (Manually remove the current tag and mark the face in the cropped photo.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for taking the time to reply and provide your thoughts. The workaround you suggest might work, but it really seems to be a lot of work on the part of the user to compensate for what is obviously a flaw in the software.

In response to the question of "Do you really need the face coordinates to be in the correct position?"; I would like them to be in the right place so that if I identify someone in a group photo, it is the right person AND so that if I am viewing photos I can ensure the recognition was done (since sometimes it misses faces completely). Lots of upvotes, so I think that others agree that this is an issue that should be fixed.

In the meantime, I will probably continue try to edit before importing to avoid this mess.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines