• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find By Visual Search Duplicate Photos: What is location of duplicates

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about 60,000 photos from a century. These are from negative scans, slide scans and print scans. There are some duplicates in my collection that I would like to remove. Find By Visual Search does find duplicates but having found them, I can't determine where to find the actual photos (eg folders), so that I can find them, evaluate their quality and delete the poorest ones.  I only seem to be able to stack them. Also, I would like to find those duplicates in my folders, so that I can also inspect other photos from the same source and time.  Is there anyway to achieve this?

Ray
TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, there is no way to identify the folder of a photo identified in the Find>By Visual Search>Duplicate Photos dialog.  All you can do is identify the name of a photo file by hovering over it. 

In case you don't already know, right-clicking on a file in the Media grid allows you to Go to folder.  This will select the folder in the Folders panel on the left and display all photos in that folder that have been imported into the catalog.  Since you haven't told us how you have named the scans or where you have stored them, it is difficult to give you any better suggestions to accomplish your goal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  The issue is that there are a lots of photos with names like IMG_001.

Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your reply.  The issue is that there are a lots of photos with names like IMG_001.

By @ray_den

Such file names are assigned by your camera. I had Canon cameras who did not assign a sequence longer than IMG_9999.

It continued with IMG_0001 again...No problem since the date_talen and the file size in KB were different. Files with the same filename are NOT considered as duplicate and can't be visual duplicates.

Suggestion:  use the advanced option of the downloader to rename your files at import time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about 60,000 photos from a century. These are from negative scans, slide scans and print scans. There are some duplicates in my collection that I would like to remove. Find By Visual Search does find duplicates but having found them, I can't determine where to find the actual photos (eg folders), so that I can find them, evaluate their quality and delete the poorest ones.  I only seem to be able to stack them. Also, I would like to find those duplicates in my folders, so that I can also inspect other photos from the same source and time.  Is there anyway to achieve this?

By @ray_den

Hi @ray_den 

You are right, the purpose of the visual search is to stack suspected duplicates. Choosing the best variant from the stack is your choice.

https://johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Find_and_delete

Finding the location in folders is nothing specific to duplicates nor to stack members. If you are browsing stacks in the organizer display, you can use the menu to expand all (selected) stacks. From there, you can see the folder location in the rightmost panel.

You can right click and select 'go to folder' to have a look at what is present from the catalog into the displayed folder.

Now, You can even have a look at the folders panel on the left, right click on the folder and select 'Reveal in explorer' to see if there are additional duplicates not already catalogued.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines