• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with missing Effects in Visibility Panel

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using PSE 8.0 and because of my age I don't really want to upgrade to a newer version because I am fairly conversant with 8.0 and it does all I need. BUT. I recently found an amazing video that showed how to make transparent text. The final action is to go to the Effects Panel and click Visibity from the drop down box and choose one of the three options. It worked for a while but now the options are no longer visible. I suppose I may have clicked the delete option instead of the Apply option by mistake. I have acquired the file Visibility.asl and pasted it into the correct folder to replace the original file but that didn't work. I have attached an image of what I get when I choose the Visibility option now. Just a blank cursor and no options. Can anyone help me please ? Thanks to anyone who can.

Effects.JPG

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

This is what shoud be in the preset folder:

hatstead_0-1669927335439.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

I believe if you reset a couple of files, you can get back the Visibility Effects.

Go to

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0

and Delete the

ThumbDatabase.db3

Then go to

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Locale\en_us

and Delete the

MediaDatabase.db3

Start the pse 8 editor and wail for awhile for the Effects to build.

You'll most likely see a dialog indicating as such

It could take 5 mins or more.

The ProgramData folder is hidden by default on windows systems, so to see

Votes

Translate

Translate

The Visibility Effect (Layer Style) that is used for the Effects tab is in the ProgramData folder

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Photo Creations\layer styles

The Layer Styles folder in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 8.0\Presets\Styles

has Layer Styles that show up, for example, when you click on the Tool Options for Shapes and Type under Style.

Screenshot-(1033).png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Up above i posted a part about deleting the ThumbDatabase.db3 and MediaDatabase.db3 as follows

that hopefully should fix your issue.

Go to

and Delete the

ThumbDatabase.db3

Then go to

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Locale\en_us

and Delete the

MediaDatabase.db3

Start the pse 8 editor and wail for awhile for the Effects to build.

You'll most likely see a dialog indicating as such

It could take 5 mins or more.

The ProgramData folder

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

You want to look in

Yes you can just put the files into another folder like on your desktop rather than deleting them right away.

prd.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spelling error in above. Should be Thumbdatabase.db3 and Mediadatabase.db3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the area where the ability to see hidden files, folders, & drives option can be changed but mine was ticked to show them anyway. But I still can't find Thumbdatabase.db3 or Mediadatabase.db3  Effects5.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to look in

Yes you can just put the files into another folder like on your desktop rather than deleting them right away.

prd.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I have actually found them now. I will cut & paste them into another folder but I will make a note of where they came from before I do that. I will report back but thank you again. Your help is very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just do not know what to say. Thank you does not seem enough. You have been so kind in helping me achieve what I wanted to do. And when you had given me correct instructions to find the 2 files you persevered with my stupidity and showed me again ! I removed the 2 .DB3 files and stored them, then booted up PSE, got the message "Building Contents and Effects" as you said I would and it only took 3 minutes. And as soon as that process had finished I could see immediately that the 3 options in Visibility in the Effects drop down list were available. And of course I had to have a little play - please see below. But to my mind there is more to it than this. Your country has always offered support to the U.K. when we are in difficult times. It is obvious that you are carrying on the tradition. I cannot thank you enough. If nothing else I hope that you and all your family have a very Happy Christmas and that 2023 is everything that you would wish for. Kind regards - David.

Effects7.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@King273835946yzq wrote:

I just do not know what to say. Thank you does not seem enough. You have been so kind in helping me achieve what I wanted to do.

Thank you's are always the best part! The one other thing you can do is to mark the post(s) that solved your issue as "correct". This will also help others who read the forums later with the same issue.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just do not know what to say. Thank you does not seem enough. You have been so kind in helping me achieve what I wanted to do.

By @King273835946yzq

Thank you's are always the best part! The one other thing you can do is to mark the post(s) that solved your issue as "correct". This will also help others who read the forums later with the same issue.

Jane

By @jane-e

Thank you for that. I hope that I have marked all the relevant correct answers. If truth be told I have been struggling with the "Community" mode of this help portal. I initially thought that it was a forum and so I have been on a bit of a learning curve. But I have been amazed at how much help I have received in here. Thanks again to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines