• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I stop Elements creating a folder called Adobe in my Documents folder

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I stop Elements creating a folder called Adobe in my Documents folder?

Why doesn't Adobe make it easy to find the answer?

I've been going round the forums and replies and still can't find anywhere that tells me how to stop Adobe invading my privacy

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you want to stop Elements creating this folder? It's a relatively small folder. On my PC, it's only 38 MB.

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont care how small it is. I don't want it installing or Adobe deciding what goes on my PC. If you can't help by answering the original question you really shouldn't bother!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just curious! I did not realize that it was even on my PC until you mentioned it. Adobe Photoshop Elements needs to create and use MANY folders on your PC when you install and use the software.

I think that the answer to your question is to just uninstall Elements from your PC. If you do that, you will no longer have that pesky Adobe folder in your documents folder.

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"still can't find anywhere that tells me how to stop Adobe invading my privacy"

How is Adobe invading your privacy by installing a folder that is necessary for the installation and use of the program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s where apps are supposed to create documents that are per-user, and not settings. As programmers they are doing the right thing, no matter how much you dislike it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So everyone else, including Windows is doing everything wrong? How come Adobe is using the appropriate place with a lot of other files that are user settings in:

"c:\user\Name\Roaming\Adobe\PleaseDumpYourCrapHerePlease"

Every time I open up Photoshop, Premiere, Bridge, Rush or whatnot, I get between one and four folders created with lots of subfolders including a bunch of files such as *.log in "My Documents". Does log files look like settings to you? 

So I can't take your answer seriously. Adobe could use the Creative Cloud ? Perfect place to sync such settings, wouldn't you say - after all these are settings, aren't they. Or are they?

Don't place them in "My Documents". The answers of uninstalling, or "Adobe is doing the right thing", are nothing but...absurdly inconsistent with programming ethics. And if that is not enought, then lets call it logic. Logs and other crap doesn't belong in "My Documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum.  We obviously don't have an answer you want to hear, so I suggest you take it up with the developers.  You can file a feature request/bug report here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi daveg31464476,

did you find a solution already? It bothers me as well, as I try to keep "My Documents" as clean as possible. If have the same issue with "Zoom", "MS Office templates"...But getting rid of "Adobe" folder in "MY(!) Documents" would help already...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. I am very particular about organizing my files and have an Archive sub-folder where I hide all the errata I don't want in Documents. Has anyone figured out how to move it or delete it without breaking something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are users of an Elements forum, not a Microsoft one. It's good to discuss also operating systems and their connections with our softwares, but it helps a lot not to introduce confusion when discussing best practices. 

There would have been less trouble if Microsoft had called 'My Pictures' and 'Documents' otherwise; they are parts of a system architecture offered to software developpers for managing their apps; they are also there to provide some help to final users to somehow manage their own personal data.

Whether you like it or not, Adobe does use those system folders 'as designed'. Those default folders also help beginners a lot, and have a number of advantages, but they are not a 'private property' and 'secret' location. 

It's an excellent thing to want one's own data neatly separated from other computer data, settings and programs. As a matter of fact, you are at home and alone if you create a folder 'My private data' anywhere else on your computer, on another partition or disk. Or even as a subfolder of  'My Pictures'! The illusion is to think in terms of folders, which is the main reason people have issues with the Organizer which is NOT based on folders even if it can manage them.

To be clear, I don't use 'My Pictures' for a number of reasons. I store my photos and catalogs elsewhere, on a personal 'My photos' master folder in another drive (internal or external). Yes, That's where I also store the catalog folder, which is otherwise stored in a hidden default location of your C drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I may have found a solution that works at least when using only Photoshop. Please report any sucess with other programs in the suite!

I opened 'Preferences -> File Handeling' and changed the path under 'Cloud Documents Local Working Directory' to a less invasive location than my Documents folder. Then I deleted the 'Adobe' folder from 'Documents'. Starting Photoshop does not seem to recrete the folder now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines