• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert a .Jpeg to a .JPG file ?

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to convert a jpeg into a jpg.  The purpose is for a Cd cover and the company have rejected the image saying it should be a .JPG and not a .Jpeg image.

However I'm having a nightmare on the internet using Online converters as everyone thinks the two file types are the same thing. 

I just know that one is a lossless format and the other a lossy format.

Does anyone know how it's done ?  Even Photoshop Elements won't give me the chance to save it as a .JPG  And I can't find an Export option.

Many Thanks.   David.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

.jpeg and .jpg are the same thing. They are interchangeable file extensions for the same lossy file format.

Why do you think they are different?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Irfanviw supports JPG/JPEG. It's free. www.irfanview.com

Try opening the file in Irfanview, then saving (Save as) and using JPG file format.

If this does not work, will the printer accept another file format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Hatstead and John Waller for your help.  Theres a company that are producing Musical Singles for Online sales. We had to create an image for them, which I have done using the JPEG format.  But they wrote back to us saying it must in the .JPG format and not Jpeg.  I honestly thought one was a Lossy format and the other a Lossless format. But I realize now that it is JPEG2000 that is lossless.

Many Thanks.  David.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a single jpeg file format which can have extensions : .jpg, .JPG or .jpeg. You only need to rename the files with the required extensions. That can be done by saving in another editor or even in Elements.

JPEG - Wikipedia

The jpeg file format is always lossy, contrary to other variants like JPEG2000.

There may be differences in how the jpeg format stores "metadata", that is the informations about the file, no difference in how the image pixels values are stored. For instance, several jpegs coming from Facebook or Whatsapp may differ from the way Adobe considers the metadata are compliant with the standards. In that case, follow the advice from Hatstead in the second post.

Edit:

I just see that John Waller has already stated this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for adding to this Michel.  And for the info from Wikipedia. It's a help thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is absolutely the same thing. They are confused. Rename it and send it again. If you aren't sure how to rename, let us know. Absolutely do NOT use Photoshop or any other app, they will cause loss of quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.jpeg and .jpg are the same thing. They are interchangeable file extensions for the same lossy file format.

Why do you think they are different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

in photoshop instead choosing save as , choose export as , and u will find jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines