• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove a file folder from the Catalog

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE 2020  Version 18  is identifying photos in a separate file folder on my hard drive as part of the Catalog.

?How do I disconnect this file folder?

DETAILS: I scan old slides to a SD card and then move the .jpg’s to a file folder called: “C:/Pictures to sort from slides.”

When I do an “Import…from files or folders…”

Select the files I wish to import and “Open” I get the message:

“Files were skipped because they are already present in the catalog.”

“Reason: The file already exists in the catalog”

“File: C:/Pictures to sort from slides/file name.JPG”

How do I make this file folder NOT part of the Catalog?

Or, is there a better way to do this? I have thousands of slides/images to process.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

You haven't told us your full workflow or the purpose for using it.  So I am offering a couple of suggestions in case they might be of value to you.

Cancelling an import in progress can lead to the kind of experiences you have had. Instead of using the Sort by date approach, you may also want to consider using the Sort by Import Batch.  This will make it clear exactly which photos were imported and when.

It is alway my advice to perform all organizational work within the Organier.  In your c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you saving your scanned photos to a memory card?  Is it because you have a portable scanner that can only save that way or do you have the possibility to save the files direct to the hard drive?  Your workflow is running into the problem that only one copy of a file can be imported into the catalog (at least, in theory). 

You don't say how you are moving the files from your SD card to the hard drive.  Are you using the Import from camera or card reader option.  If so, you are presumably identifying your Pictures to sort folder as the location to store the files. So when you import the files from your SD card to the Pictures to sort folder, the file is in the catalog and if you move it outside of the Organizer, the moved file cannot be imported again because it already exists in the catalog. 

You also haven't told us your naming scheme when scanning the photos.  If you are using the same default file name to scan the files to the SD card and then keeping that name when moving to the Sort folder, you would end up with multiple files named e.g. Scanned Photo 001.jpg.  Although it is unlikely, there is some possibility that this may be causing some confusion to Elements as to whether you are trying to import the same file.

You can delete the Pictures to Sort folder from the catalog using the Folder panel in the Organizer.  This will delete any files currently in that folder from the catalog and you will then be able to import those files again from their final resting place.  BUT, do you have any Watched Folders set?  And if so, is the Pictures to Sort folder within the folder structure that is being watched?  If it is then you may continue to have problems with files being automatically imported from that folder into the catalog. So to address this possible issue, you need to place the Pictures to sort folder in a location that is not being watched.

There are a number of other suggestions I may have to help your workflow, but I will await your responses to my questions before giving them to you.

One final word of advice: all file management operations for photos within the catalog should take place within the Organizer.  If a file is in the catalog, do not move, rename or delete it using Windows File Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick, comprehensive response. 

The slide converter I use [Wolverine F2D-Titan] saves to a memory card only. Each image is automatically given a unique name/#.  I then mount the card into a memory card to USB adapter and import the .jpg images into the Pictures to sort folder using File manager NOT AE Organizer.

The Pictures to Sort folder is not being “Watched” by AE Organizer.

Reflecting back a few days I recall “selecting all” thinking the photos on my screen were the only photos I wanted to import but in fact were all the 200+ photos in the “Pictures to Sort” folder. I realized it immediately and hit “cancel” but apparently, I was too late. I then hit “Undo” which probably undid my first action.  This mistake has not occurred to me until now.

My solution:  In Organizer “All Media” “Sort by Date” I have given all images that the “Keyword/Info” panel indicate are  in the Pictures to Sort folder two stars, then sort with = or < than two stars. From there I can select groups of images and Move them to my created folder under my Catalog structure.

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You haven't told us your full workflow or the purpose for using it.  So I am offering a couple of suggestions in case they might be of value to you.

Cancelling an import in progress can lead to the kind of experiences you have had. Instead of using the Sort by date approach, you may also want to consider using the Sort by Import Batch.  This will make it clear exactly which photos were imported and when.

It is alway my advice to perform all organizational work within the Organier.  In your case, this means that once you have scanned the photos to the memory card, you should use the Adobe Photo Downloader to import the files to your Photos to Sort folder.  You can then use the Organizer to view the scans, rename them if desired, and then move them to a new or existing folder of your choice, using the Organizer's Folder panel to drag and drop.

If there are some scans that you wish to discard, again you can delete them directly from the catalog (and your hard drive). 

I can think of no good reason to use Windows File Explorer to filter files before you put them in the Organizer.  (Of course, I'm not suggesting that you don't have a good reason.  But the Organizer has all the tools you need to accomplish your task, and probably more efficiently than your current workflow.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines