• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need help in upgrading photoshop elements 6 to newer version

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photoshop elements 6 which still works, but I am thinking of updating to the latest version. I did a trail version, but the issue was they did not give me any discount for having photoshop elements. So, I tired to download the trail again, having checked I own a previous version, but it won't let me. I am not sure what is wrong. Maybe its because I used windows 7. I don't want to get into having to pay monthly, I would rather pay for one program, as I have a video editing program and there are all these other programs that I don't want and don't know how to use, and I don't want to learn them either. I only do simple photo editing. I am not sure of the price, it seems to change all the time. And there is no email support. Chat support, I found does not work very well, as I can't explain to chat the issue. I am not saying with abode chat, but I hate chat because it takes hours of time with often no resolution to the issue. I want to get this as I am editing a lot of old family photos, but I can't understand just how to buy one program without having to buy creative cloud. And if I did where does the discount come into play? I can still use elements 6, so its not a major big issue, but I feel that the newer one is more stable. There issues with connecting, abode seems to have cut me off, so the program won't connect anymore with abode, or I would merely go there and select upgrade program. I do have a serial number. I did buy the program, I am not sure what improvements if any have been made. I did try the newer one, but did not find any features that were new. So, the pricing has to be reasonable, since its not like I must have it or there is anything new, if I am wrong tell me what is new about photoshop. The red eye feature does not work very well, as it turned one eye black like satan's eye and left one eye red, so there is room for some improvement with that. I tried many ways to change the other eye, but it keeps just doing that.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

I think the reason your not seeing an upgrade discount for photoshop elements is that pse 2018 is on sale right now for 69.99, while the regular price is 99.99 and the upgrade price would normally be 79.99.

https://www.adobe.com/products/elements-family.html?promoid=V2XYKZ3B&mv=other

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macygrant  wrote

I have photoshop elements 6 which still works, but I am thinking of updating to the latest version. I did a trail version, but the issue was they did not give me any discount for having photoshop elements.

How did you try and obtain the discount?

The upgrade price to 2018 is the same from any previous version of Elements.

However, shop around. You may be able to get a new, full version for cheaper than an upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two entirely different Photoshop apps.

Photoshop Elements: consumer level. One time charge. No free upgrades. You can get upgrades from older versions, but there is often a time limit, if you wait too long it's full price.

Photoshop CC: professional level. Subscription only, from $10 per month.

Be sure you know which one you want, and which one you're trying to get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what happened. I waited, and I expected something would happen. The whole concept was not clear to me. I assume since the programs are the same program, I would get some sort of discount to upgrade. I even read something like that, but each time, it would give me only the most expensive pricing. I can't remember what is was, but it did not say anything like upgrade now or lose a discount. I was simply never shown a discount at all. I can't lose what I was never offerred. The issue was there was no way to show them I had the old program because they cut me off from the server. It won't connect. It just says server error.  Ten dollars a month is not so bad, but I don't see that option either. I only see very expensive options of like 30 dollars a month for the whole graphic suites with movie editing. I have a movie editing program I like a lot. I just don't want all those other programs. It would clutter up my older computer, and likely make it run slower.  Everything wants a subscription and there are limits to how many monthly subscriptions I can afford. I don't do much photo editing either. I only crop or erase minor flaws. The red eye thing does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the ten dollars a month option you need to look for Photoshop CC not Photoshop Elements. $10 is the "Photographer Plan" with Photoshop and Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I am going to try doing that. I will post back if it works or not. I think 10 is reasonable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This popped up when I tried.

"Lightroom CC is not compatible with Windows 7 and 8. However, Lightroom Classic CC is supported on both of these versions."

I am not sure extact what CC is, how is it different from elements? I don't want to learn a whole new program. I don't know what light room is either. I don't think I want to learn it. But, it may not work with windows 7, I could use my windows 8 machine, which is upgraded to windows 10, but I don't like that machine.  I got this windows 7 for my mom who had memory issues, but now that she won't use it, I really like. I don't like the interface on the windows 10. I know I won't bother to use windows 8 or 10. I need one that will work with windows 7. I just hating having to enter in my password on the computer each time I turn it on. This is other reason, I like windows 7. I don't live with anyone, so its not like criminals are coming to my house turning on my computer. I dislike entering in more passwords and doing more work. I better stick with elements 6, it does still work, I would like some minor fixes. Eventually it will stop working, but I have to deal with that later on. I would try other programs, but I don't want to have to learn new things. It will just too much work, and I proably just quit editing photos all together if I am forced into an interface that I find uncomfortable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't remember if I said this but bear in mind it's $10 per month but a year-long commitment to pay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fine. For strange reasons it's actually cheaper to get Photoshop and Lightroom for less than just Photoshop. BUT, and this is important, Photoshop CC is the pro tool, much more complex and much harder to learn than Photoshop Elements. Hardly the same app at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw on Amazon there is chance to buy just photoshop elements. I know there is way to do this. I don't want to buy on Amazon, because I had an issue with software from Amazon on other programs. Thank you for telling me this because I don't want to learn a whole new program. I would pay more not to have to learn a new program. When I was learning to use photoshop, I even took a class, it was very slow. The teacher wasted days on just the organzier, which I never use. I wanted to learn to do things like remove objects, but they would not select properly. If you have two people and you want to cut out one of them and you try to select one person, it won't select. It will select just parts and then leave little bits of the person still there, or else take out too much background. Then I tried the magnetic lasso, and it just did not work or would not select. I spend hours and hurt my hands trying with that thing. Which is why I threw in the towel, and I never try to select objects anymore. After such a terrible experience, I don't want to try new things in photos. I only want to just crop, maybe auto adjust, maybe use the clone stamp and healing brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macygrant  wrote

After such a terrible experience, I don't want to try new things in photos. I only want to just crop, maybe auto adjust, maybe use the clone stamp and healing brush.

If version 6 does all you need it to do, and it stlll works, don't bother upgrading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not working all the great, as I mentioned I was cut off from the server, but at this point, I agree, I want to wait until a program comes along that is more me, or until I have to change windows 7 out for another computer. I just like windows 7, its not like I can't afford a new one. I do have a windows 10, I don't like to use it. But, at some point I will have to move up, and many newer programs will not work on windows 7. It more about what I like and having fun then the money and cost of my computer. I don't want to buy an expensive graphics program that will so hard to use that I will dread it and not use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is for storage, organization and collaboration. I looked it up. It costs less, because it does not edit photos. I guess Elements is more popular then Photoshop Regular, so that is why it costs more to get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the reason your not seeing an upgrade discount for photoshop elements is that pse 2018 is on sale right now for 69.99, while the regular price is 99.99 and the upgrade price would normally be 79.99.

https://www.adobe.com/products/elements-family.html?promoid=V2XYKZ3B&mv=other

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think that was the price I was thinking of, I should try and buy this. I will try. I thought the lower price was the upgrade price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to buy it but that was it turned out is not photoshop elements it was premire elements. I think premire is a movie program, that I don't need as I have movie program I like better then premire. So, I am trying to get a refund and I can't get the 69 dollar pricing, they are insisting on the 99 dollar pricing in the chat. I shown them the proof of my older program, but they still won't give me a discount. I recall elements not being that expensive to being with, it was never as much as 99 dollars when I bought it the first time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laurel,

The purchase is within 14 days of purchase,

can you please reach out to our Customer Support at 1-800-833-6687 (Monday to Friday, 5 AM to 7 PM PST) for assistance and you can also find more of the support options on helpx.adobe.com/support.html

They will surely help you in resolving the issue for you and please let us know if it gets resolved there.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to return it. I think I want instead of Elements Photoshop I want Photoshop CC because never use the Organizer. I have all my photos organized in folders. Each one is marked such as Pets the subfolders by pet name. I spend a lot of time doing this myself and renaming the files sometimes. Either its renamed and I can search for it in the computer such as all photos of fluffy the cat, or its under pets subfolder fluffy. I wonder if CC is a smaller download, since it does not have the organizer? I also don't share or work with anyone ever. I don't like sharing features. I am just a hobbiest, its not like I am sharing with people and they are editing my photos. That would really be upseting. I don't like anyone touching my files. Programs make is "so easy to share" I worry it will share to share without me giving premission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if CC is a smaller download, since it does not have the organizer?

Photoshop CC comes bundled with a separate app called Bridge CC - a useful DAM (Digital Asset Manager) for your hard drive. It's like Organizer on steroids.

Digital asset management software | Download free Adobe Bridge CC trial

Use of Bridge is optional but I think it gets automatically installed along with Photoshop CC. It's worth exploring for an hour even if you eventually decide against it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an email to same email address about giving me yet another free trail of elements 2018, but still did not get the refund for the premiere yet, still waiting for that. I think photoshop cc would be worth trying out and it is more recently updated then photoshop elements 2018, which came out in Oct. 2017.  I am thinking the 2019 will come in Oct. 2018, so it makes no sense to buy the program for 99 dollars, if it is updated each year and then I can't even get a upgrade discount which is not very much.

I did a lot research on this. The upgrade price is indeed 79 dollars, but I don't qualify for it, as they decided that Elements 6 is too old to qualify for a discount. This decisions seem a slight bit unfair.

It makes more sense to pay a reasonable monthly fee for access to the programs that will not leave you stuck in an outdated version. Let us say, they update elements once a year, if I paid 10 dollars a month for a year, that is 120. The real catch is that I can't even get elements for 10 dollars a month. Elements is 30 dollars a month for the whole creative cloud suite deal with all those apps I have no interest in.

That is why I am thinking about Photoshop CC which would be 10 dollars a month. I would like the see it briefly before I buy,  to confirm that it can do exact what I want to do as easily as before. But, there does not seem to be any trail of CC. I will not agree to another trial of elements either. It was not a good thing. The nagging to buy would pop up each time, and slow me down, and it was almost the same or exactly the same (as far as I could see) as Elements 6.

I also looked into all the alternate programs to Photoshop Elements and all of them came up lacking. Either they were too hard to learn or they do not do the same things. Photoshop is still unbeatable. At least for what I want, which is to make simple edits on many photos as quickly as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In many ways Photoshop is similar to Photoshop Elements.  The biggest difference in that in Photoshop Elements there are automatic fixes, whereas in Photoshop, it is virtually all manually done. This can be a good thing, as it forces you to understand what you are doing.

There also are tools and other items in Photoshop that don't exist in Photoshop Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed elements 2918 full version, not the trial, but I have a problem with the Organizer. It keeps telling me to make a back up, but all my files are backed up in dropbox. I keep selecting don't backup, cancel and never show this again, but it happens over and over and then the whole program freezes up because its mad at me. I deleted a file, that I did not want, and then it went crazy sending message that said file was deleted and did it want me to find it. I clicked yes and it goes on thinking about it, but it can't find it.

At first I thought "it wants to buy cloud space at abode", but it seems to be not the case. It won't be happy unless I burn a DVD each time I use it, if there are any changes. DVDs are totally the worst, bad for the environment and you can only fit 4 g of data. Then it wants to back up to the hard drive, but I have it in dropbox, so they I will two copies of all my photos and get confused as to which ones are edited or not. I need to turn off the back up, maybe there is some key that I can not seeing or a command to turn off the back up? There must be something I am not getting about this back up. If you save your file, its saved, its saved to dropbox, if you make a mistake you can get the old file back from dropbox right away. Why backup Organizer at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a lot of things to understand about organizer... and about backups.

It keeps telling me to make a back up,

In the organizer, check your preferences. Menu Edit >> Preferences >> Files. Uncheck the option to prompt you to backup.

but all my files are backed up in dropbox.

If I understand well, you have all your photo files in the 'Dropbox' folder on your computer, and that folder in synced with Dropbox in the Cloud. That is not exactly a backup, but it's a good safety solution. I do use Dropbox, but I don't want to store my big library to the Cloud. Only a part of my most current media. You are free to use the backup function of the organizer or not. The big advantage is that it enables restoring your photo files folders tree AND your catalog. You can restore to any other computer in case of a lost computer or move your photo library and catalog to a newer computer. If your computer gets stolen, you won't recover your catalog, or even if you recover it, it won't connect to the new drive. The organizer is based on a catalog. If you don't see the advantages, don't use it. If you want to use it, be ready to learn how it works. There is the online help. You also can download the pdf version.

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

Ask questions in this forum, as you have seen, other users are always glad to help.

. I deleted a file, that I did not want, and then it went crazy sending message that said file was deleted and did it want me to find it.

People keep complaining that a software is not 'intuitive' when they have a bunch of misconceptions to begin with. The first one is to ignore that files are not 'in the organizer'. They are where you put them on your drive(s). There is a database to keep track of the location and the properties of each of your files. Think of it as an Excel sheet 'on steroids' as John Waller says. If you use the explorer or finder to move or delete a file, the location in the catalog is wrong. If you use the organizer to move, rename or delete files, the catalog is updated;  logical, no? That's not specific to the organizer. Many powerful managing tools like Lightroom do use catalogs. By the way, Bridge does not, that's why it's not considered as interesting by organizer users which enjoy all the power of catalogs. Bridge is rather an 'explorer on steroids' which may fit your own needs. You don't need a Photoshop subscription, it's free to use with Elements.

At first I thought "it wants to buy cloud space at abode", but it seems to be not the case.

Seriously?

It won't be happy unless I burn a DVD each time I use it, if there are any changes. DVDs are totally the worst, bad for the environment and you can only fit 4 g of data.

How can you imagine that? DVDs are things of the past. If you have read the papers about what's new in PSE2018, you have read that in that new version, support to backup to DVD has been stopped.

Then it wants to back up to the hard drive, but I have it in dropbox, so they I will two copies of all my photos and get confused as to which ones are edited or not.

No. An organizer backup is not a simple copy. You can't use it yourself. It's a backup folder, a 'package' containing anything necessary for the organizer to restore both catalog and image folder tree where you want. You don't restore if you don't need it (lost computer, failing drive etc, moving to a newer computer.

If you save your file, its saved, its saved to dropbox, if you make a mistake you can get the old file back from dropbox right away. Why backup Organizer at all?

As explained above, you choose to backup or not. If you use the organizer with a catalog and a big library, only the organizer backup lets you recover anything after a stolen computer or migrate anything to a new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see your point, the back up could be something like if I had made ablums in the Organizer, but if I don't also back that up to dropbox, but to the hard drive, I will lose it when something happens to my computer. I am worried I will then have double copies of each photo and I will forget which one is which. For example I edit one photo and its the same name, I can't remember which one I wanted to save, now I have to stop and look at each file and make a call for the one that I want.  Maybe I am getting this wrong and it is not backing up all the photos, but only the internal structure files? But, why does it complian each time that it lost a photo that I deleted. If I don't use the organzier, its hard to get the photos into the editor. I try to go the photo, and I right click, I click open in photoshop E, the way I used to and photoshop opens but with no photo loaded. If PE is already open, it opens a second time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macygrant  wrote

I can see your point, the back up could be something like if I had made ablums in the Organizer, but if I don't also back that up to dropbox, but to the hard drive, I will lose it when something happens to my computer.

You can't use the word backup for a copy on the same computer.

A backup means copying on a different media, today it's nearly always an external USB drive.

I repeat: a backup is not a simple copy and and it is meant to save all your media files and catalogs, not a few files in case of corruption.

I am worried I will then have double copies of each photo and I will forget which one is which. For example I edit one photo and its the same name, I can't remember which one I wanted to save, now I have to stop and look at each file and make a call for the one that I want.

I also repeat:  a backup is not a copy. You won't find the renamed copy in the backup folder. It's just like when you zip a folder tree. The zip file contains everything, but you have to unzip it somewhere to see the copy of a given file.

With a backup, you save all, and restore all, including the catalog where you need to: on the original destination if there was a corruption, on a new computer or a new drive, internal or external.

Maybe I am getting this wrong and it is not backing up all the photos, but only the internal structure files?

Nothing of the kind.

But, why does it complian each time that it lost a photo that I deleted.

As explained above, if you delete, rename or move files in the explorer, the content of the catalog with the drive letter and folder path is false. You can delete, rename or move files from the organizer.

If I don't use the organzier, its hard to get the photos into the editor.

You don't get photos into the editor. You don't get photos in the organizer.

You 'open' files in the editor which lets you use your Windows explorer or Mac Finder to locate the file on your drive.

You 'import' files from camera or card reader from the downloader to your drives, then they are indexed, registered in the catalog. Or you 'import' from files or folders if the files are already in your drives, then they are indexed, registered in the catalog.

Of course, the main purpose of the organizer is to find immediately any file by all the search tools or by browsing the thumbnails in the media view.

I click open in photoshop E, the way I used to and photoshop opens but with no photo loaded. If PE is already open, it opens a second time.

Just a suggestion: if you browse the files in the Explorer and use 'open with' Elements, it happens that PSE opens without the selected file. Is this what happens to you in that case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines