• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

jfif files

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix to convert jfif files to jpeg?  Some images from the web are now downloading as jfif files andcannot be opened in Elements 15.  Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

They are the same thing. You can try renaming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

I have confirmed that changing the file extension to jpg will allow the file to be opened in Elements 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are the same thing. You can try renaming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from the Photoshop forum to the Photoshop Elements forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have confirmed that changing the file extension to jpg will allow the file to be opened in Elements 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback!  I couldn't understand why the images were shown as downloading as .jpg, but turned to .jfif when I tried to open them with Elements 15.  Changing them to .jpg before they download definitely works, so thanks again for supplying the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work. Tried a number of different images and not one opened by changing to jpeg. Frustrating to say the least. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine open in Elements 12 when I change them to .jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Owner1, are you changing the extension to .jpg or .jpeg?  I don't know whether that would make a difference.  Can you attach a sample file so we can test it out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just right click the images and highlight and change extension to.jpg and save then they will open in Elements 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried this by renaming to jpg. It now opens in PSE 9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can batch convert them with Media Encoder, see my answer in this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/jfif/m-p/9470844

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media Encoder seems like huge overkill, and this will also damage the images in each case. Surely much more efficient to rename them, since it's only the name that is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're dealing with hundreds of images I don't think it would be more efficient, there's probably a way to change the extensions with powershell, but I'm no expert on that. 

In my case, these are images to be compressed for web upload, so the minor damage during conversion is no big deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's been brought to my attention by Jeff Arola in the other thread that using Bridge > Tools > Batch Rename is a much cleaner solution. Thanks Jeff! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines