• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

menu bar items too small

Participant ,
Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed PSE and PE on my laptop. When I open either of them the size of the menu items/text across the top of the screen -- file, edit, image, enhance, etc. -- are way too small and are difficult to select by touch or a mouse (thought the 'submenu' items are a bit larger). Any thoughts on how to make them larger? I looked in View and in preferences within the program and didn't see anything. Perhaps there's something in the Windows 10 settings or the graphics settings for the laptop?

Regards, David.  

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

https://forums.adobe.com/people/david+k  wrote

i am working in pse 15 editor.

screen is 2160 x1440, 12 inch screen, 3:2 ratio.

First look at your preferences:

scale-1.jpg

Did you try both 200% and 100%?

Your issue is that you have a semi-high resolution and small display (the worst situation now...)

Since the introduction of HiDpi (or 4k) displays some 6 years ago, the way fonts are displayed  in Windows has been a problem for softwares totally based on old Microsoft APIs; they do not allow 'scaling' the menu fo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

To understand better your problem, the following information would greatly help:

- Which is your Elements version?

- are you working in the editor or in the organizer?

- What's the size in inches and in pixels of your dispaly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/david+k  wrote

First look at your preferences:

scale-1.jpg

Did you try both 200% and 100%?

Your issue is that you have a semi-high resolution and small display (the worst situation now...)

Since the introduction of HiDpi (or 4k) displays some 6 years ago, the way fonts are displayed  in Windows has been a problem for softwares totally based on old Microsoft APIs; they do not allow 'scaling' the menu font sizes freely. The solution provided from Elements 13 on was to allow the '200% UI Scale Factor. Good for real 4k resolution and normal size desktop monitors, but 200% setting may lead to hide part of the menus and tool bars with too big fonts.

Note that the scale factor is not used in the organizer, which can recognize the custom size font settings of the Windows explorer (125% for instance)

If both 100% and 200% settings are not good in your case, you'll have to set your display resolution to a lower value, like 1920 x 1080 or even less. Don't be mistaken: for photo editing lower resolutions are more comfortable and precise than HiDpi. For the image viewing, you are zooming all the time anyway, it's the ease of use of the menus which is critical; it depends from your hardware, but also on your own viewing aptitudes and tastes. Microsoft and Adobe have been working together to provide seamless scaling for the UI, but we are still on beta testing for the full Photoshop. My guess is that a future Elements version, maybe not the expected PSE16 in the Fall, will have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It's 2021 and your answer from 2017 still works like a charm.  I went right into Edit/Preferences/Display & Cursors and fixed my problem in my new software - Photoshop Elements 2021.  Thank you so much!

Kate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I did find this solution somewhat helpful but really a scaleable percentage would be best as I have a hidefinition laptop monitor that the Automatic or 100% option is miniscule menu font size; quite rediculous really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Michel.  I changed the UI scale factor to 200%, and menu fonts are big enough now. Good to know i have options.

One thing this did was to hide the color picker at bottom of tools menu (which is along left side of screen). I can select the foreground color, but lower part with background color is hidden behind/under menu bar across bottom of screen which i cant can't  seem to either move or reduce or hide.

One workaround i found is to use 'x' on the keyboard to switch backgound with foreground colors, but ....

Any thoughts on how else i might deal with this? Can i hide or reduce bottom menu bar? Make any part or the tool menu free-floating? Or ...?

Best David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My drop down menu text too small on latest update and panels on second monitor too large. I use windows  7.

Everything fine before latest update, curious why it is all out of proportion now. Reverting back to before update is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a big issue with font size on my surface book 2. it is really annoying to see that premiere and photoshop have different font sizes. the problem is not windows the problem is that adobe creates the elements programs but then doesn't update them during the year like other brands do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here it is 2023 and this 2017 fix worked for me. I agree that an adjustable percentage would be a better solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines