Copied

When I open an image in PS Elements 21 only the background is shown on the list

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You aren't giving us much information to help you.  What kind of file is it (jpeg, psd, tiff etc.)? When you say "the list" do you mean the Layers panel?  A screenshot of your problem would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do need more than one image, or element, such as text, on the same canvas, for other layers to show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a file type that supports layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. JPeg images as always. I used elements for years, stopped due to old computer and now I'm back. Totally confused as to how to get multiple layers to show up in layer panel. Any help appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPeg images as always

By @barbz19892646

Jpeg doesn't support layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peru. Now I'm really confused since I've been layering jpegs for years in both elements and another app. Also, when I was messing with this last night, I did get two images to layer, seemingly as a drag and drop. Unfortunately, it disappeared with further fooling around and I can't figure out what I did to get it in the first place. Any thoughts? Are these images somehow converting to another format when I deposit in elements or am I misunderstanding what you mean? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. After you work on an image file in PSE, go to File>Save as , and in the dialog you you can select the file format, e.g. JPEG, PSD. TIFF, etc.

2. If you save as a JPEG file, the layer structure is not preserved, since this format does not support layers.

3. If you wish to go back at a later time to work on the file again, suggest that you save as PSD. You can also save as JPEG as well, and delete one or the other subsequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add layers, but it won't save the layers as layers if you save as jpeg.  If you save as a file supporting layers, like psd, the layers will be preserved.

EDIT: This is the same as what hatstead said, but phrased differently.  I didn't see the previous post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Hatstead and Bob. Specifically, I'm only interested in applying my collection of textures and I've found a video that's guiding me thru it. I seem to be stuck at the point where I drag the texture on top of the base image...it's dragging but I haven't preserved the background image properly. I hope to work it out....not sure if this is the jpeg issue right now but will convert if I continue to a dead end. Seems like more of a locking the layer thing? Thanks, slogging my way thru! I used to do this stuff in my sleep :-}.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I'd get back to you.....I figured it all out and successfully got the image I want. It looks like the image was auto-converted to PSD so I saved for web and converted to JPEG. Entire proceedure resembles my previous method with some minor changes. Thanks a lot for your help, I'm sure it won't be the last issue I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it is a simple so no layers saved if saved as jpeg. Sure would have been nice to know that. Hundreds of pic now useless as I can't remove labels. Thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@defaultf6d6509v98c2, there are many ways to remove labels from a photo.  If you give us an example, we can give you some ideas. 

(And it is very easy to miss, but when you try to save a layered file as a .jpg, a warning button will appear to tell you that layers are not preserved.)

Snap_2021.10.09_15h6m59s_005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines