Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need Help with restoring a partially ruined photo

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello friends.

I'm somewhat new to restoring.  I've watched a few tutorials and tried using the healing brush and clone stamp, but I'm not getting anything that could be close to passable.  This is for personal use, so it doesn't need to be perfect, but the white streak is too distracting.

Thanks,

KimberlyFlora and Alex Gottesmann.jpg

TOPICS
How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

1. Open the picture file

2. Activate the Eyedropper tool and sample the brown background. This will be your foreground color as seen in the color chip.

3. Use the lasso tool to select the area with the white streaks but leave the gentleman's scalp area as is. Delete the selection  with streaks that you have made by hitting delete on the keyboard

4. Go to Edit menu>Fill selection>Foreground color.

5. Press CTRL+D to get rid of the marching ants outline.

6. Open a blank layer at the top and with the Brush tool paint any void areas with brown -- clean up!!

7. Open another blank layer at the top, and press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+E to merge all the layers---- "a stamp visible layer".

8. Open another blank layer at the top, and activate the clone stamp tool. Clone the lady's hair & the gentleman's scalp.

9. I have left the streak in the eyeglasses as is.

Flora and Alex Gottesmann_2 - Copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kimberly, your photo is very challenging and @hatstead has done a great job restoring the photo for you in Elements.  I was curious to see what Adobe Firefly would do.  Here is the result. 

Firefly 20230922133607.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  What is Firefly?  Your result was far better than I was able to get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flora and Alex Gottesmann mildly better.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kim,

Firefly uses AI for you! Try it out.

Adobe Firefly – Generative AI for Everyone

For your purpose and in order to restore the picture, the steps that I have delineated shoiuld work in PSE for you. Let us know if you encounter a problem. We look forward to your progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Hello, I've tried to adjust a little some parts. Really challenging!

Flora and Alex Gottesmann4.jpg

And this is what AI have done:

https://ibb.co/41cgytW 

Anyway, if is possible, I give the advise to use a scanner to acquire the photo, and not a photography over the photo, as the quality of adjustments, will be much more better if we will start from a real photo scanning instead of a photo taken from another photo with a picture shot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kimberly

Like Greg I tried A.I. generative function. I also tried black & white but retaining the smaller scratches for authenticity.

In Firefly you can click generate and get three choices. But you can keep generating another three until you get something you like.

Flora-and-Alex-Gottesmann2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines