• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening a blank A4 page

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I open a blank A4 page to start designing a poster on it? Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Go to File>New>Blank file in the Editor (or press Ctrl+N).

In the Document Type, set International Paper from the dropdown menu.  You can then select A4 under the Size dropdown:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.07.16_01h44m59s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

As Greg says, but chose RGB mode if you intend to add color photos to the A4 document – see image below.

RGBcolor.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to File>New>Blank file in the Editor (or press Ctrl+N).

In the Document Type, set International Paper from the dropdown menu.  You can then select A4 under the Size dropdown:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.07.16_01h44m59s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg. When I do as you said, the box where one sets the size etc comes onto the screen briefly, then disappears.

The aged care place I have just moved into has ludicrously slow wifi (like 3.8 download). Would this explain the disappearance, and all sorts of other weird things that are happening? (I have an HP all in one 24"Athlon).

my old computer that finally died was running XP, and I am finding Windows10 a nightmare.to work out. Everything is so different, and if the wifi speed is the problem and making things malfunction all the time I'll never be able to work out how to drive the bloody thing. Someone has suggested that I get a modem and that should up the speed. I used to happily use Photoshop and inDesign on my old computer, but wifi vs modems and all that connectivity stuff is beyond my 83 yr old brain.

(I'm in Australia).

Sorry for this pathetic appeal for help, but I feel like I'm on a desert island, and you are the first ship to pass, and I'm waving like hell!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummers said:

When I do as you said, the box where one sets the size etc comes onto the screen briefly, then disappears.

I can't imagine how a slow wi-fi or internet connection would have any effect on that.  It may be the sensitivity of your mouse or keyboard.  So, before I make any suggestions, please confirm whether you have a wireless mouse or keyboard.

Also, I gave two ways to bring up the new file dialog (via the File menu and the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+N).  Have you tried both ways?

Sounds like you have been going through a lot of changes in your life.  Don't worry, we will do our best to at least fix your computer problems.  🤞  You can stop waving your hands.  We see you and will make a landing every day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg.

I tried both. When I tried ctrl n the box came up OK, but when I clicked on it nothing happened.
Both keyboard and mouse plug into the back of the computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Greg says, but chose RGB mode if you intend to add color photos to the A4 document – see image below.

RGBcolor.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have asked you what version of Elements you are using, and also whether you are on Windows or a Mac.

In the meantime, try resetting the preferences file. Go to Edit>Preferences>General tab and click the Reset Preferences on next launch button.  Then close the program and relaunch it, and try the new file dialog again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, I am to move to another (permanent) room soon, and when I do I will
instal a modem and get things up to speed. Until I can take that variable
out of the problem I see means ever mastering windows 10 and its mysteries.
When I tried to implement your suggestions nothing would respond to the
mouse clicks. I turned it off at the power button on the computer and
turned it on again, but it froze at the first boot up window. I left it
overnight and tried it again this morning with the same result. So I can’t
check what version of Elements I’m running, though it was downloaded from
the net a month ago,
but I can tell you that the computer is a HP all in one 24” Athlon.

So I fear I’m just wasting your time till I get all this freezing business
sorted out. So I think I’ll go back to eating coconuts on my desert island
and stop watching out for a rescue boat for awhile.

Thanks for trying to help me, though. Maybe you could keep your eye out for
me waving again in a few weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you downloaded from Adobe within the past month or so, you have Elements 2020.  Are you saying that Windows froze or Elements did? If it was Elements, are you able to get to the Welcome Screen?

Good luck with the move.  Come back whenever you are ready.  We'll keep the light on for you.  :sun_with_face:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines