• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 14 purchased in 2015 - no longer usable

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to reinstall PSE14 after giving up the subscription based plan (Photography). The installation rejected my serial  number and said to contact customer support.

Customer Support guy checked my records and says the product is no longer supported. I said I do not  need support. Why can't I use a product I purchased only 6 years ago. He advised me to upgrade. I just cancelled my plan as I seldom use it. I just need some basic photo editing. 

I think this is totally dishonest of Adobe if it is a policy. 

I've given my mobile number so their senior can call me. I'm not holding my breath.

Totally disappointed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Good news (for me!). 

Got a follow up email from the helpdesk to ask the help chat people to reset my device activation counter. I don't know why the 2 groups can't talk to each other but whatever.

The they have reset the device activation counter and all is good. 

I have many questions... didn't they know that was the problem? not that the activation server was no longer active.... was it just an attempt for me to upgrade?

Doesn't matter....... thank God its fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What, exactly, did the message that it was rejected say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not supported isn't the same as it won't work.  it just means adobe won't help you find the problem.

however, if you have a valid serial number (6 groups of 4 numbers) and compatible hard ware, you can still install and activate.

if that doesn't help you, answer @Peru Bob and specify your os.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I've answered Peru Bob. My os is windows 10.

My frustration is that my account portal shows that the software is registered to me and states the serial number.

Customer support does not dispute that.  Their reply was that it is no longer supported and that was the reason the activation failed. Not a wrong serial number, not that too many computers are running the same serial number...... just that they don't support it....... doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for listening to my rant.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's precisely my frustration. I re-downloaded it from my account portal. It had my original serial number there too.

My original error was that I had too many machines activated to use it.  So I went back to my account to see which machines were activated so that I could deactivate some. Only 1 other machine was shown so I deactivated that one. So now no machines are activated. Problem solved? Nope.  So I try to re-enter the same serial number. This time the error message is that it failed to activate it and I was to contact customer support. 

That's when I contacted customer support. The guy over there said to wait and to let him check into my account. He came back shortly and said that they don't support this version anymore. I said I don't want support. I just want to activate my software that I own! He said that the only way was to upgrade my software! I was furious and said that this was dishonest and that I wanted to speak to his superior. He asked for my contact number and I gave it to him.

Hope you understand my frustration. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this problem?

TLS 1.2 is now required to connect https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/eol-tls-support.html
-http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-network-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. I'm using the latest version of Microsoft Edge as suggested in the article.  I'll re-look into the article tomorrow. It's now 1.30am in Singapore. 🙂

Goodnight from Singapore John!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK folks, its official. Reply from their helpdesk...

Adobe Systems Incorporated
2:35 AM (6 minutes ago)
to me

Thank you for the information.

We would like to inform you that Photoshop Elements 14 is too old and no longer available and supported with Windows 10 64 Bit and Secondly Photoshop Elements 14 servers have been shut down. So, we can do is we provide you the Photoshop Elements 2022. So, you can able to start your work in a proper way.

This sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have to agree with you, that does suck.  but the future is clear (as far as adobe products that require activation are concerned), all the activation servers are going to shut down with no (voluntary) compensation from adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah well.....

Thank you and to all those that tried to help. I appreciate it a lot.

For the amount of photo editing I require, it's not worth purchasing another license for the current version.... 

I'll just resort to the free alternatives.

Thanks again all and have a Healthy and Happy New Year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news (for me!). 

Got a follow up email from the helpdesk to ask the help chat people to reset my device activation counter. I don't know why the 2 groups can't talk to each other but whatever.

The they have reset the device activation counter and all is good. 

I have many questions... didn't they know that was the problem? not that the activation server was no longer active.... was it just an attempt for me to upgrade?

Doesn't matter....... thank God its fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wait a minute.

that's why @Peru Bob question was important.  if you saw an excess activation count message, that would have changed everyone's response.  

we all know you just to ask support for an activation count reset.  ask for anything else and you'll be told they can't help.

you mislead us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kglad,

I'm sorry if you think I mislead you, but if you look at my original post I said in my first line:

"My original error was that I had too many machines activated to use it.  So I went back to my account to see which machines were activated so that I could deactivate some. Only 1 other machine was shown so I deactivated that one. So now no machines are activated. Problem solved? Nope.  So I try to re-enter the same serial number. This time the error message is that it failed to activate it and I was to contact customer support. 

Sorry if I did mislead you but I really thought I had documented precisely what had happened.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is what i saw in your original post that was misleading "I decided to reinstall PSE14 after giving up the subscription based plan (Photography). The installation rejected my serial  number and said to contact customer support."

in a subsequent message i see you mention excess activations, but that does not square with your original post and caused more confusion (for me).

ie, your serial number was never rejected, and saying it was mislead everyone (i think) except @Peru Bob who asked the salient question.

in any case, it's not important now.  congrats on getting your software up and running.

in the future, it's always most helpful to quote the error message (including error numbers, if there are any).  even if quoted in a language we don't understand, quoting leads to the quickest resolution.  (hopefully, this paragraph is superfluous for you, but for others it may help.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Thank you for pointing that out.  Good tips. I'll try to remember that next time.  

I guess I was quite frustrated with the way things had initially unfolded.

Once again, thank you and have a good day and a great new year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you very  much.

and happy holidays to you and your family!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines