• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements Searches for New Files and Encounters Problem and Asks to Close. It does not allow me to open the program. How do I get past this?

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded from pictures and videos from my Panasonic DMC-LF1 camera.  The pictures downloaded, but he videos did not.  I eventually got the videos to download to the computer, but they do not show up in the Photoshop 15 Organizer.  So even though the new pictures are in the organizer, the program keeps trying to download them.  I cannot stop it from doing this.  After a couple of pictures a message comes up asking to close the program.  I tried deleting the pictures from the hard drive so it would not find new pictures, but that did not work.  All the troubleshooting ideas require that one can open the Photoshop 15 program, which I cannot.  What are steps one can take to solve this problem? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Apology for the inconvenience caused.

I have few queries regrading the issue you are facing:

• Which OS are you working on?
  • Are the video already downloaded or in progress of downloading in the folder which is watched? If they are still in progress of downloading that might be the reason that new files pops up coming every time
  • Please share the crash logs when it says EO is closing if on windows, run registry from tha path: Dropbox - Dump Registry . Reproduce the crash and find the crash dump at C:/DumpStore.
  • After generating crash menawhile to launch EO, you can do is got the folder where Files were downloading and saving, and rename that folder.
  • And clean the preferences from path: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\{version number}\Organizer for windows, If not windows use the following link Preference file locations for Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements.

Thanks,

Shraddha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This is a public forum. Personal information removed by moderator for your protection].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the dump file you mentioned?

[personal information removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the crash report you needed?

System

- Provider

Application Error

- EventID 1000

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

2017-03-20T13:39:41.759189500Z

EventRecordID 37320

Channel Application

Computer DellInspiron-PC

Security

- EventData

PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe

57cd427e

CompPkgSup.DLL

58ba5c12

c0000005

000000000000349d

4ea0

01d2a17f6832aaa9

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Elements 15 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe

C:\Windows\System32\CompPkgSup.DLL

2e235596-5960-48e1-a494-8ca886afa2fc

Pat Johnston and Ted Buxton

[personal information removed]

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my reply did not get sent.  I am running Windows 10 and Photoshop 15.

It is possible that the video file is what keeps trying to be accessed by Photoshop 15, but I cannot tell.

What do you mean by your fourth point?  How do I determine which files were downloading so I can rename them.  I did move the most recently downloaded photos and videos into a dummy folder in documents.  Photoshop does not look for new files there.  This did not help.

Finally, I did find the path you refer to in your last bullet.  I cannot determine how to "clean preferences."  When I do into the files you suggest, here is what I find.  Is this the preferences you refer to?  Would I delete the item referencing <Location...  If I do this, will this disable this function forever?  Would I be able to reinstall it?

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<settings module="APDPreference">

<preferences>

<XMLFileVersion>1</XMLFileVersion>

<Location>C:\Users\Ted Buxton\Pictures</Location>

<CreateSubfoldersComboIndex>3</CreateSubfoldersComboIndex>

<RenameFilesComboIndex>0</RenameFilesComboIndex>

<CustomGroupOpen>1</CustomGroupOpen>

<ImportIntoCatalog>0</ImportIntoCatalog>

<OpenCatalogAfterCopying>1</OpenCatalogAfterCopying>

<AutomaticallyFixRedEyes>0</AutomaticallyFixRedEyes>

<AutoStackRawJpg>0</AutoStackRawJpg>

<AlbumImportSize>4</AlbumImportSize>

<AlbumImportData xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes" dt:dt="bin.base64">MHx8fAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tedb50093404  wrote

What do you mean by your fourth point?  How do I determine which files were downloading so I can rename them.  I did move the most recently downloaded photos and videos into a dummy folder in documents.  Photoshop does not look for new files there.  This did not help.

Here I was asking to rename the folder in which media is downloading, not the specific files

For cleaning the preferences:

1. Go to the path: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\{version number}\Organizer and delete the file named psa.prf and relaunch EO

See if this helps, if not please let us know.

Thanks,

Shraddha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did remove the file you named.  I also tried removing on a separate occasion status.dat and that did not have an effect either.  So I have removed both files to no benefit.  I do not know how to take a screen shot.  The the message is the same.  It first says there are new files to download and then when you say yes or no, it starts to download a nondescript file and then the message come up that there was a problem and you need to close the program.  This is very frustrating as you could imagine.  I feel like I may not be able to use my photoshop 15 again.  Is it possible it has something to do with the upgrade that was required for raw data that just occurred?

I have removed all recent files from the pictures folder and that does not seem to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a copy of the screenshot.  I figured out how to do that.  The program had closed and this was the message when it tried to download a file and then the second message saying the program had to be closed appeared and locked up everything.

As I mentioned in my previous email, I am beginning to despair that I will not be able to used Photoshop Elements again.  Plus, if I do get it to work, it seems that it may gag on other video files in the future.  If we can get it fixed, can be cure this so it does not happen again?

Thanks for your help.

<personal information removed>

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please attach the screenshot again.  It is not available with your last post

Thanks,

Shraddha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shraddhaj, I attached the screen shot, but have not heard any suggestions.  I was away, but now I am back to look at the replies.  Please help me get access to my Photoshops Elements 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you will see my post today.  I was able to perform one of the things you suggested but I could not open my Photoshop program.  Please see my post online.

Thanks.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (1).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached the screen shot.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.  Also, I noticed that my signature with my address and phone number from my reply email from yesterday is posted in the thread.  If you could delete my contact information, that would be great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to unsubscribe to the email notices for the responses, but I will check the site directly to find your responses.  There are too many emails to are not relevant to my query.  Thank you for your help.  My unsubscribing does NOT mean I am not looking for a solution to my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, Please Help me.  I have not received any responses to my query after I posted the screenshot showing my Photoshop 15 being closed because of an problem.  I cannot open my Photoshop 15 because this message ALWAYS appears when I try to start the program.  I am frustrated that I may never be able to open my program and I started using my Photoshop 9 instead because I can open that program. 

I do not know if it made a difference that I turned off receiving emails, but if that was a problem I have turned the function back on.  I turned it off because my email box got filled by irrelevant emails addressing other people's problems.  I thought I could go to the website and look at the posts, but none have been made.  Let me know if I need to receive emails to get a response.  If not, I will go back into preferences and turn off the emails.  For now, it is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please try out the steps mentioned below:

1. Launch Elements Organizer while keeping the Shift key pressed to open the Catalog Manager.
  2. In the Catalog Manager dialog, click New to create a catalog. Provide a name for the catalog, and then click OK.
  3. Launch the Preferences dialog (Ctrl/Cmd + K).
  4. In the Preferences dialog:
    • In the Media Analysis tab, deselect all checkboxes.
    • In the Files tab, deselect the checkboxes:
      --Automatically Search for and Reconnect Missing Files
      --Automatically Generate Thumbnails for Video Files
  5. Start Elements Organizer.
  6. If Organizer launches without any issues, switch back to your older catalog.

Let us know if issue still persists.

Thanks,

Shraddha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to change the catalog.  But I was unable to launch the preferences dialog box.  I do not know what Ctrl/Cmd+K means.  I pressed Ctrl and the windows key, Ctrl and the windows key and K simultaneously.  I tried different combinations of these and nothing happened.  I tried to click on edit to access the preferences, but the program was locked with a number of slides running telling me that there was no media in the program and I needed to download media.  I tried to click on "skip", but this lead to the box that says that it will download media.  After this, I got the same statement that said the program has a problem and must close.

I went back into the program with the shift key pressed and could not find a way to access preferences.  I do not have a Cmd key.  I used the Windows key, but it did not work.  Can you tell me of another option to get to the preferences?

This is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since you are on windows you have to press Ctr+K to get the preference dialog (Cmd+K option is for MAC users). After this proceed as mentioned above.

Thanks,

Shraddha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did as you said and pressed Ctrl k and Ctrl+K and and neither resulted in any response by the program.  I tried this many times.   The program has a running slide show telling about downloading pictures to the new catalogue.  All the clickable features are unresponsive.  When I click, "skip" it tries to download what I believe is a video file (same file that has been coming up as before.  I do not know what file it is.  It has not identifying information as you could see in the screenshot I posted before.  The program cannot download that file and the error message comes up again and the program closes.  I cannot open preferences as you suggested.  Please help with another idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work.  Can you offer another option?  See more detailed reply from earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try these steps:

1. Launch Organizer with pressing shift key.
  2. As create catalog window opens, choose custom location. Browse for a location where you want to create catalog.
  3. Create new Cataog.
  4. Now as EO launches with welcome screen, press esc and quit EO
  5. Go to to the path where catalog is created-> Watch Folder->Open WatchFolder.txt
  6. Delete all the paths mentioned in in txt and save the file
  7. Relaunch EO
  8. Now on launch with the same catalog, Eo should not try to import any media.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Shraddha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ted,

If you the above mentioned steps would not work.

Please try the following one:

- Go to the following location

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\15.0\APDLogs

Rename the APDLogs folder to APDlogs.old

Please let us know, if this works for you.

Regards,

Sandeep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this fixed it for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Screenshot (4).png

I did what you said and could open Photoshop 15 without it trying to open files.  But then it said to import media.  I tried this a number of times and this is what happened.  The program stopped working about a third of the way into downloading my pictures from the picture folder.  So now that I can open the Photoshop 15, how do I download pictures so I can use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines