Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop elements - shape without fill but w/ borders

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to emphasize a certain spot on a picture by drawing a transparent rectangle with red borders around it. I cannot find how to make the rectangle completely transparent without also making the borders transparent. Also, I find it difficult to be able to change the borders. Any tips on how to make this work? Thank you. As I am a beginner, please be very clear (dummy language) in your explanation. Thank you.

Jan

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

You're missing something here.

1. Create a new blank layer.

2.Go to the rectangular marquee tool, the little dotted rectangle near the top of the tool box. Drag a rectangle where you want the outline.

3. Go to Edit>Stroke (outline) selection and choose a color and width for the stroke.

There is no fill, ever. Do NOT use the rectangle shape tool down near the bottom of the toolbox. You are starting with a selection, not a shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the rectangular marquee tool to make a selection where you want the rectangle, then Edit>Stroke(outline) Selection to make the border. If you do this on a separate layer it will be possible to move or delete it later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Barbara, thank you for your quick response.

Indeed, I tried this numerous times, but I cannot seem to get the fill transparent. It stays in my 'foreground color' and I cannot adjust the inner transparency. Using 'Style Settings' I can change the styles of the stroke, but not of the inner transparency. I hope you can give me a golden clue to make the shape completely transparent, with a opaque border.

Thank you,

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're missing something here.

1. Create a new blank layer.

2.Go to the rectangular marquee tool, the little dotted rectangle near the top of the tool box. Drag a rectangle where you want the outline.

3. Go to Edit>Stroke (outline) selection and choose a color and width for the stroke.

There is no fill, ever. Do NOT use the rectangle shape tool down near the bottom of the toolbox. You are starting with a selection, not a shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barbara,

Again, thanks for your quick reply.

Instant succes with your excellent guidline.

Thank you very, very much.

Cordially,

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.

I spent an hour trying out Google suggestions before finding this which was easy to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Barbara!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it so frustrating that this discussion is 9 years old and Adobe have still not provided a simple way of drawing a box!!!! Why do things have to be so non-intuitive and stupidly opaque and obscure? You should be able to choose a simple box tool and draw a box, what is so hard about that? And when I go through this process and finally manage to draw one using the select tool (yeah that's logical, use the select tool and not the rectangle tool to draw a rectangle), when I go to resize it, it only resizes proportionately. I want to resize it disproportionately, because I want to draw a number of rectangles and duplicate them to make a grid because Photoshop is so moronic that it doesn't have a draw grid function (I mean a grid that actually appears in the picture, not the grid you just see on the screen as a guide). How do I do that? Where is the thing that allows me to resize just two sides not four? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It always helps to post screenshots of what you are having problems with.   you want help with drawing rectangles that are not filled, or do you want to make grids?  Do you want non filled rectangles?   

What do you need a grid for anyway?

2022-06-19_045033.png

2022-06-19_040942.png

You can make one click grids using brushes or filling with patterns, brushes are easier to do it with--- in PSE brush size is limited to 2500- but there are ways around that.

2022-06-19_045033.png

2022-06-19_050347.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try using Illustrator.  Photoshop is best for bitmap and compositing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines