Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Process Multiple Files & PNG files

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.
I'm currently using Photoshop Elements 2024 on Windows 11, and I have a problem with "Process multiple files". I want to simply resize some PNG files with transparent background, but even if I check that the format is correct (PNG in the file type menu), the batch processing add them a white background... Why?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you viewing the .png files?  Even transparent .png files will appear to have a white background in the Organizer.  But if youi open them in the Editor, they should be transparent.

Ashampoo_Snap_Saturday, January 20, 2024_12h52m45s_multi.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it really matter? I'm not viewing the PNG files from the Organizer, but directly from the Editor, and the PNG files have a transparent background. The problem is the RESULT of the Resize PMF: all treated PNG files are still PNG, but with a white background (instead of transparent, like the original files), and it's visible in the Editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. . .  and did you make sure that the Convert FIles to PNG box was checked?  The default is to save to jpeg.

Ashampoo_Snap_Saturday, January 20, 2024_13h5m12s.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mentionned it in my original post: "[...] but even if I check that the format is correct (PNG in the file type menu)[...]".
So yes, I'm sure about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you attach a sample original file with the transparency and the same resized file showing the white background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already posted a sample in my first answer to your commentary, "exampl.jpg" in attachment was there to illustrate the problem... But here a more detailled sample: the original file, the PMF window (in french), and the resulting file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to reproduce your problem.  The png image that you provided retained the transparent background when I resized it as you have done.

Ashampoo_Snap_Sunday, January 21, 2024_11h33m2s.png

The only thing I can suggest is to reset the preferences.  Go to Edit>Preferences>General tab and click the Reset Preferences on next launch button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried you suggestion. Sadly doesn't change anything... 😕
Any other suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. I may have found a hint about my problem. I watched the history panel while processing, and the white background is created during the last step: FLATTEN IMAGE. Is there a way to remove that step, or a way for it to NOT fill the empty pixels in white?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce your problem either, the process keeps the transparency when converting to png.

My suggestion :

Try a two-steps workflow:

1- batch resizing the pngs to tiff or psd (which support transparency) while resizing

2- batch converting the resized tiffs to png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your suggestion:

1- Batch resizing doesn't work in tiff, got a white background too. But work in psd, no white background !!!

2- Sadly the batch conversion to png still add the flattening step, adding a white background... 

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Oh. I may have found a hint about my problem. I watched the history panel while processing, and the white background is created during the last step: FLATTEN IMAGE. Is there a way to remove that step, or a way for it to NOT fill the empty pixels in white?"

Delete the layer(s) containing the white background so that you will be left with the object surrounded by transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no other layer to delete. The original files are single layered with transparency, and the PMF results are single layered files too. The white "appears" unwillingly DURING the process (I can't change it). For short, the transparency becomes untransparent while processing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I may have asked this before, but how are you opening the file?  The only possibility that I can reproduce where the background is white or black is if I were to add the png to a file with a black or white background.   I ask this question because one of your screenshots show the png on a black background and another is on a white background.  How did that happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot exampl.jpg was from the W11's file explorer... The dark theme was a good background to show the "white background" of the converted file (the transparency becoming opaque) .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here just in case, to show you the history panel during the process. I'm pretty sure the problem is from the last step, "Aplatir l'image" (Flatten Image). Is there a way to get rid of this unnecessary step??? Or a way to edit the built-in actions???
.... Or must I have to work on Photoshop (not Photoshop Elements) to be able to make my own actions...? 😕

history.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the process ever worked correctly for you with Elements 2024?

You may want to uninstall and reinstall the program (and choose the option to delete the preferences file when uninstalling).

Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.  Try contacting Elements support. You can start a chat session by clicking on the blue Contact Us button under the Help & Support menu at Adobe.com. Hours of operation outside of the United States are limited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay thanks for your time to try to solve my problem.
This process never worked for me with PE2024. I'll try your last suggestion, so cross your fingers ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines