• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2021 will not save metadata to file

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used various versions of PSE for years, and have never had a problem with metadata not being included when using the Exporting as New Files command.

When I tried this command with PSE 2021, some files had the metadata included, but most did not.

I then tried to use the Save Metadata to File command. A message would appear that the metadata had been saved, but it lies, and the metadata is not saved.

My OS is Windows 10, 64 bit.

Can anybody suggest a solution?

TOPICS
Import and export , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Hi @georgey82106871 

Those are many different questions and I'll try to examine them one by one, which should help in getting useful comments and answers by other forum members. Your main issue is rather common: making your captions (and keywords) from your Elements software accessible to people having only the standard Windows tools: Explorer, Photos, Gallery...

In random order:

1 - Since you mention that those people publish to the web, they probably have also their own photo editors. Prac

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which metadata?

Which file formats?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response Michel.

First of all, I believe I misstated my issue. The problem is not with metadata not being saved to files; it is that the metadata, (captions in particular) does not display in Windows Explorer. With the previous versions of PSE that I have used, after  Exporting as New Files I was always able to search in Explorer by using the the caption associated with the file.

It seems this is no longer possible, without completing some extra steps.

Doing further research I have found that one cannot add any metadata to .png files, and that I now have to add an extra step to my editing process (Save Metadata to File) for my raw photos, before exporting.

The extra step is only a minor pain, as I can do that with a batch command. The other issue is more problematic, as my images are in raw and .png. I share these images with researchers and volunteer organizations who do not use Photoshop products, and who publish to the Web (hence .png files).  They need to search files in Explorer by using a keyword, which is in the caption.

My work around seems to be that I will have to save my images in .tiff and .dng, batch save Metadata to File, then Export as New Files; the people who use these files will then have to figure out how to convert them to whatever format is best suited to their purpose.

Not ideal, but do-able.

If you think I'm missing something, please let me know.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @georgey82106871 

Those are many different questions and I'll try to examine them one by one, which should help in getting useful comments and answers by other forum members. Your main issue is rather common: making your captions (and keywords) from your Elements software accessible to people having only the standard Windows tools: Explorer, Photos, Gallery...

In random order:

1 - Since you mention that those people publish to the web, they probably have also their own photo editors. Practically all those editors have more functions that the Explorer and can retrieve all captions and keyword tags saved into your files. So, let us concentrate on those who only use the Explorer.

2 - By default, your captions or tags are recorded in your catalogs (I assume you are using the organizer) and only saved into the media files if you issue the command 'Write metadata to files'. This is not new. The captions may be written directly into the files as well as in the catalog when they are created, but since keywords are at least as important, you have to always write metadata to files as a rule.

3 - In the Windows Explorer, your recipients have to know how to get the caption from a file: it's from the properties panel, section 'details', line 'Title'.

4 - You have found that the png format does not support writing metadata to files. Yes you can use tiff or psd, but why not jpeg?

5 - If you use the organizer, you can write metadata to files in a single command for as many selected files as you want, if they are in a compatible format, that is NOT png.

6 - For raw files I imagine the problem is that the metadata are not written directly into the raw files but in sidecar xmp text text files. That requires a raw converter/editor for your correspondents. You are right that the best solution to include your metadata within the files themselves is to convert to the DNG raw format, which is also more widely understood than proprietary raw formats.

7 - When you tag your raw files, the metadata are kept either in the xmp sidecar files or in the DNG raw files directly.

To batch convert your raw and dng files at the same time, the organizer  does not offer the option to convert to the DNG format, but the Camera raw plugin dialog has this ability. Depending on your amount of RAM you can open a batch of 20 to 50 raw or dng files you have tagged in the editor ACR, select all and use the 'Save' button to export them in a new folder.

Can we start from here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michel. Between your suggestions and my own research, I've managed to work through thes issues.

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel

Is there any option to avoid metadata being stripped out when "save for web" in any versio of PSE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Michel

Is there any option to avoid metadata being stripped out when "save for web" in any versio of PSE?

By @colinr22687614

The purpose of the save for web option is primarily to get the smallest file sizes, which implies getting rid of the metadata. Furthermore, most users absolutely don't want to make all metadata available on the web. So there is no such option.

You can also optimize your file sizes by using resampling and compression ratio with 'save as'.

If you describe why you need both small sizes and metadata, someone may be able to give you other ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines