• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

setting background transparent

Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I set the background of an existing graphic to transparent?  I am using Photoshop Elements 9.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Use the magic wand selection tool or quick selection tool to select all of the white background then press Ctrl+I to invert the selection.

With your object fully selected press Ctrl+J and a new transparent layer will be created automatically.

Turn off the background layer by clicking the eye symbol in the layers pallet.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need the original file with layers e.g. a PSD or tiff file.

You can start from scratch using:

File >> New >> Blank File

Then set your document dimensions, resolution and choose transparent for the background.

Add your text and/or images.

Then use save for web and choose PNG24 to preserve the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know I can do that for a new image with a transparent BG.  But I was wondering how I might take an "existing" graphic and make its white background transparent in Elements 9.  Does anyone know if that is possible, and if so, how I can do it?

Thanks for the response anyway, 99jon.  I appreciate you taking the time to try to assist me.

Dewey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the magic wand selection tool or quick selection tool to select all of the white background then press Ctrl+I to invert the selection.

With your object fully selected press Ctrl+J and a new transparent layer will be created automatically.

Turn off the background layer by clicking the eye symbol in the layers pallet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  I'll give this a try.  Thank you.

Dewey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MECS,

Open your picture file

The background layer has a lock icon. Drag that to the trash can - see red arrow in the print screen below

Access the magic wand tool to select the area at issue for you - the white background , then hit delete on the keyboard.

In my example, I selected the sky and deleted it.

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1t2gKSZuRmttZkh61Cq4JK7FoDzG4G0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines