• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

will Photoshop elements 2021 work with the new M1 chip and big sur

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will Photoshop elements 2021 work with the new M1 chip and big sur I am thinking of buying a mini mac that has the new M1 chip in would it work.

TOPICS
Download and install , Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know almost nothing about Macs.  Here is the latest Adobe Help article regarding Elements and Big Sur

I don't think anyone yet knows about problems with the M1 chip and Elements, but in my quick Google search, it looks like Adobe is not currently supporting it with any of its software.  I expect that will change in time.

This does not mean that Elements will not run with this hardware and OS.  But if you are an early adopter, you should not be surprised if you run into problems.  If you have already bought a computer with the M1 chip, you can download a free trial of Elements before buying it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded a free trial of photoshop elements for my m1 mac air. It does not open and there are no answers on the net or in any forums. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Nitajk,

If you're on macOS Monterey 12.3, please refer to the workaround shared here

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/startup-crash-on-monterey.html

Regards,

Medha Sharma 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Medha. I will try it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Medha,

I followed the instructions exactly but it is not working. The Photoshop Elements Editor Workspace does not load. 

If you have any other suggestions, do tell. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's strange because these steps worked for most of the users.

Anyway, could you please share a screenshot of the folder where you'd have renamed the 'sniffer' file? Also, do you get any error message/crash report when you try to launch Elements Editor? Please confirm your OS version as well.

Regards,

Medha Sharma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Medha. Thank you for your reply.

I have a Mac Air - macOS Monterey, version 12.3 with an Apple M1 chip. (not really relevant here, but I have elements 18 working on my previous mac but elements 2018 cannot be loaded on the new one. That's why am trying to load the elements 22 version. I am so used to working on elements that it's hard, to adjust to affinity.)

Attached is the screenshot you requested, of the folder which has been renamed.

I get no error message at all. The icon wiggles a bit as it's going to open and then the editor is supposed to be "loading" but nothing happens. It doesn't open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details, @Nitajk 

Can you check if the application is already running in the Activity Monitor? If so, please quit it and then try relaunching it again.

In case you don't find it running in the Activity Monitor, please try the following steps:

1. Navigate to Applications > Adobe Photoshop Elements 2022 > Support Files > Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor

2. Right-click on the application and choose 'Show Package Contents'

3. Navigate to Contents > MacOS 

4. Double-click on the executable file named 'Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor'

Some logs would be printed on the terminal after performing step 4. If the application doesn't open even now, please share these logs with me for further investigation.

Regards,

Medha Sharma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Medha,
I followed the steps you outlined but the photoshop elements editor did not
open.
Attached is the terminal data.
Thanks.
Nita.
<links to unrelated external websites removed>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Medha,
I followed the steps you outlined but the photoshop elements editor did not open.
Attached is the terminal data.
Thanks.
Nita.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the logs, @Nitajk.

The logs indicate an issue with the fonts on your system. Can you confirm if you are using any specific custom fonts on your system? 

Also, it might be helpful if you share some additional logs with us. To enable logging, please perform the following steps:

1. Go to ~/library / preferences /com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist
  2. Edit this plist and add a new entry: LogFileMsgLevel= 5 [Number]
  3. Restart the Mac machine.

The logs will be generated at the following location: /Users/labuser/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Photoshop\ Elements/20.0/

(The filename will be of the type PSELog-xxx.txt)

Let me know if you need any assistance with the aforementioned steps.

Regards,

Medha Sharma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Medha,

I have no custom fonts. I have a brand new machine and have made no changes except for the update. Regarding the plist file, it does not open so not possible to edit. Have attached a screenshot.

I tried choosing "notes" to open it, but that does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nitajk,

You need to install plist editing applications to edit this file. One such application is PlistEdit Pro. Please visit https://fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/ and download the free trial. Or you can also install XCode if you're looking for a long term solution to edit list files.

Once this application is installed, please add a new key as specified in my last reply. Here's a screenshot in case that helps you.

Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 11.30.06 AM.png

Regards,

Medha Sharma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Medha, 

Unfortunately, the system is not allowing me to make changes. Attached is a screenshot of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nitajk,

It seems that you're editing the plist file located at /Library/Preferences. You need to edit the one that's present at ~/Library/Preferences location.

Hope you don't receive any error messages when you modify the correct file.

Regards,

Medha Sharma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I modified the correct file and have attached a screenshot.

Then I restarted my machine. However, unable to find the log files. I have attached a screenshot so you can check that I went to the correct place in the users file. There is no "Elements/20.0/" but there is Adobe Photoshop 2022 in the Application Support folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nitajk,

Can you please check for logs at this location: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Photoshop Elements/20.0 

Hopefully, you should find the logs here.

Regards,

Medha Sharma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Medha,

There is no photoshop elements there, in the library, only adobe photoshop 2022 and 2021. Screenshot attached. And yes, photoshop elements has been downloaded on my mac. Maybe that's the issue. It's been downloaded (screenshot attached) but not really showing up in the library. Maybe there is an issue with the download. Its not downloading fully on a mac with a m1 chip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Medha, After searching the forums for more answers I finally stumbled upon a solution. I uninstalled Adobe photoshop elements 2022 and installed the 2021 version. Then I renamed the sniffer file and elements actually opened. It's the trial version. What I need to ask you is whether elements will continue to work if I update or do I have to continue to use this version? I don't want to pay for elements and then find some glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's article on the M1 and app compatibility. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 is not runnig on my Mac Mini M1 

After start Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 me get an error. Adobe Photoshop is running, but not native, but it better than nothing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can now have a Mini Mac with the M1 chip and big Sur and I haven't run into any problems yet using Photoshop Elements, but it is early days if I have any trouble with it I will keep you up dated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're running Elements on an M1 Mac running Big Sur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines