Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing PostScript Printer driver in Windows 10

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am trying to install Post Script driver in my PC which has Windows 10 installed. I am getting the following error message every time:

This is a very old installation file which we had previously. Does any one know where I can find the latest Post Script installer file for Windows 10  ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

To expand on the previous response, what you tried to install was an Adobe PostScript Printer Driver Installer dating back to 2002 in terms of its last update. It was designed to install the AdobePS PostScript Printer Driver on Windows'95, Windows'98, and Windows'ME as well as a special version of the AdobePS PostScript Printer Driver on Windows NT 4.0. It also supported associating a PPD file with the standard Windows PostScript driver, a joint project of Adobe and Microsoft, that shipped with

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a Windows component, installed automatically when you install any PostScript printer through the printers control panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this query to Adobe PostScript​ community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To expand on the previous response, what you tried to install was an Adobe PostScript Printer Driver Installer dating back to 2002 in terms of its last update. It was designed to install the AdobePS PostScript Printer Driver on Windows'95, Windows'98, and Windows'ME as well as a special version of the AdobePS PostScript Printer Driver on Windows NT 4.0. It also supported associating a PPD file with the standard Windows PostScript driver, a joint project of Adobe and Microsoft, that shipped with Windows 2000 and later versions, to create a driver instance associated with the printer type described in the PPD file selected.

Support for the driver installer ended with Windows XP 32 bit. It either doesn't work at all or improperly runs on any newer version of Windows including all 64-bit versions of Windows and all varieties of Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.x, and Windows 10. For that reason, Adobe stopped distribution of this driver installer many years ago. There are no plans to update it.

To install PostScript printer drivers now, you use the Add a printer or scanner function of the Printers & Scanners settings dialog. It will assist you in creating a proper PostScript printer driver instance with the correct PPD file and parameters using the built in PSCRIPT5.DLL driver that ships with Windows 10.

Alternatively, most printers come with a driver installer or one may be downloaded from the printer vendor's website. Given that older printers packaged with the device may not be compatible with Windows 10, checking the vendor's website is the safest bet. May sure you choose the proper printer model, the PDL you want (i.e. PostScript as opposed to PCL or whatever), and operating system version (i.e., Windows 10, 32 or 64-bit).

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also trying to install the PostScript driver in my system but I am getting an error every time. This is my Epson WF-3640 Blurry Printing model. If anyone can help me out, please reply to this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"To install PostScript printer drivers now, you use the Add a printer or scanner function of the Printers & Scanners settings dialog. It will assist you in creating a proper PostScript printer driver instance with the correct PPD file and parameters using the built in PSCRIPT5.DLL driver that ships with Windows 10."

A better explanation would be helpful. Windows does not present options based on a DLL name. I chose the "Microsoft PS Class Driver" and I do get a PS file, but Ghostscript can't seem to process it. Perhaps I got the right one, but I'm not sure and I don't know what the PPD file is (guessing Postscript Printer Definition file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to check another computer of mine and was reminded that I'd used a Lexmark C510 PS (MS) driver when the Adobe Generic PS driver installation program had stopped working and that did the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutely Wrong! The Microsoft PS Class Driver is a generic, highly-discredited (even by internal Microsoft developers) Windows Type 4 Microsoft printer driver that converts XPS to PostScript and can yield more errors than an early Mets game!

Since most Windows applications (including Microsoft Office applications) actually generate GDI, using this Microsoft PS Class Driver causes application GDI commands to be translated to XPS which is then translated to a generic PostScript and much can and is lost in this two-stage convertion to PostScript. That driver does not support any application which generates its own PostScript including Adobe applications such as Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, and FrameMaker as well as third party applications such as AutoCAD, CorelDRAW, and QuarkXPress. Forget about use of any CMYK colorants, separations, Pantone colors, printer-specific imaging options, etc. You have very few options with this driver and its use is most strongly discouraged by Adobe.

Only the Windows Type 3 PostScript driver based on PSCRIPT5.DLL (actually developed as a joint project by Adobe and Microsoft) will yield proper results.

And yes, PPD does stand for PostScript Printer Definition and that file is what “table drives” PSCRIPT5.DLL for a specific pritner type including providing the proper available printer options for the Printer Properties dialog.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines