Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colours completely change when exporting HEVC h265 sequence to a mp4 h264 file

Contributor ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

HEVC (h265) is becoming a pretty common format now which I have to work with in Premiere. I receive it from drones, from various Sony cameras like the a7s3, etc - it's great quality and in 10bit 4:2:2 is great for colour grading albeit incredibly CPU intensive.

However, even working online (no proxies) I'm having massive headaches with colours when exporting.

I've tried both the 2 most recent betas of Premiere and am consistently finding the colour profile is wrong.

I've tried playing the exported file (just a standard mp4 h264) in various players and the colours are just night and day different - horribly saturated in a crude way that blows colours; skin tones become burned orange and greens are neon, etc.. 

See this screenshot of my settings - I suspect "Export Colour Profile" is to blame, but it won't let me change it?! Really annoying and doesn't make sense to me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

I'm also having this problem, and I'm wondering if there's any new / easier solutions to this problem with the latest version of Premiere (24.1.0 - Build 85)?   I'm in the middle of editing a multicam concert video, and I've got the one camera angle that looks fine on the timeline, but quite hideous whenever I try to  render it.

My attempts to fix this camera shot with  "Lumetri Color"  have not been successful.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere GM project Lumerer 2024-01-02 pt13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see each section of the CM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I'm sharing the proper coordinates for this multicam project ...    and it's possible I might have screwed up the proxy mode, which also has this awful color scheme.

Premiere GM project Lumerer 2024-01-02 pt14.png

Here's another thought  - Is there an easy way one could somehow generate a clean conversion of this H265 camera footage  to H264 without the odd artifacts...... and then use that as the new camera master?   (Take a look at the MediaInfo  shared earlier)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that's iPhone media, I'd go ahead and set auto detect log and auto tonemap  to on. Just ... 'cause.

What's your OS and ... any screen calibration? For most users, setting the Display color management on is wise also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I just did a little test, and based on the sample, it looks like it'll work OK.    I'm running Sonoma - 14.1.12.     

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources