• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Released] Now in beta: selectable Viewer Gamma

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: This feature is now shipping in Premiere Pro v24. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback while it was in beta!

A common question from Premiere Pro customers on macOS is why exported videos look desaturated and washed out when opened in other applications, like QuickTime Player, Safari and other applications on macOS.

The reason for this is a difference between how Premiere Pro displays video and how macOS displays video. Premiere Pro uses television broadcast standards, while macOS uses a less common standard. An excellent description of this issue is available on Todd Dominey’s website: https://www.todddominey.com/2021/01/24/why-are-videos-washed-out-on-the-mac-exploring-quicktime-gamm...

Premiere Pro Beta v24 offers a simple solution to this issue: providing an option for you to choose how video is displayed in Premiere Pro.

The Settings tab of the Lumetri Color panel now has a Viewer Gamma option, enabling you to choose either the broadcast standard 2.4 gamma or the macOS 1.96 gamma. (The option is also available in Project Settings, Team Projects Settings, Production Settings, and the Color section of Media Encoder Preferences.)

For native Rec.709 video, this feature will work anywhere in the application where the video is displayed, like the Source Monitor and the Program Monitor. For video that is color managed (for example, log video where the color space is auto detected and then tone mapped into Rec.709), Viewer Gamma will affect how the video is displayed only in the Program Monitor.

Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 8.08.28 AM.png

We would love to get your feedback on this feature!

TOPICS
Feedback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance of getting and SRGB tone curve option? I feel like 1.96 is too bright, and the 2.2 option looks correct but crushes blacks too much compared to what I see on mobile devices. Would keeping the gamma as SRGB avoid the black crush? 
In the DCM help guide it states - Shadow details are lost because sRGB encoding in the shadows don’t have the fine granularity of the Rec. 709 shadows. In an 8-bit signal, the 20 lowest Rec. 709 codes are crunched into the 7 lowest sRGB codes. For 10 bit, the 78 lowest Rec. 709 code values are crushed into the 28 lowest sRGB values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your monitor calibrated to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a macbook pro m1 max. Using the default icc. It doesnt work well with calibration since they added the display reference modes, which also seem to complicate things and work on top of colour management. I have tried to calibrate to 2.2 with the new Calibrite HL but not sure if i trust the results, or even what setting i should use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded V24 and there is no settings tab on my machine. I currently do not have this feature and I chatted with adobe support for over an hour trying to figure it out. The conclusion was "wait for some time"

Not sure what the issue is. I'm running a 2017 Imac Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew,

I suspect you're seeing (not seeing) this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-discussions/now-in-beta-new-settings-tab-in-the-lum...

In the Beta forum, it is helpful to know what build you are in. They change almost daily.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you add the ability to bind the gamma viewer options to hotkeys, or turn color management on/off via a hotkey? I would love the ability to quickly swap between gamma 2.4 and gamma 2.2 viewer settings to give me an idea how my project will look on different displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Furthering to this, could be get the same feature for secondary monitor previews?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @GundamVanguard ,

The feature should be working for external monitor attached to MacBook. 

Please share the system details and ICC profile being used for external monitor if the feature is not working for you.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My monitors run a generic gamma 2.2 lut with 709 primaries, and the actual calibration is handled by hardware. When I enable color management it shifts to 2.4, I select 2.2 as the preview gamma, and it corrects to 2.2, but my secondary display remains 2.4 shifted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heyy adobe team, i only downloaded the beta version because of this Feature. First ist seemed to work but now suddenly nothing changes when I toggle between the three options web, broadcast, quicktime. Before i was able to see immediat differences but now? I dont know where the problem is. Is it a bug maybe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @gianniw27226249 ,

Please make sure Display Color Management (DCM) is enabled.

DCM is required for this feature to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that I found out it only works when Color Management is disabled??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I disable DCM i can toggle between web, quicktime, broadcast and I see the changes in the shadows and so on. But the moment I turn on DCM i got the same problem as a mentioned in my question, that while toggeling nothing changes 😕 Is that a bug or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a bug.

Please share information regarding the system, icc profile being used for display. Is the issue coming with builtin display or external monitors?

If possible, please share a sample media and screen recording of what you are seeing with the application.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will later share screenshots, It happens with every display but interedtingly not with every video for example if I try this with the original HLG Footage in a Rec709 sequence and turn on DCM the problem occurs, nothing changes in the monitor (but after the export the change is suddenly visible btw), when I turn off dcm I can see the change while toggeling in the Programm monitor, when I tske the same video but like not the original but the Exported version it suddenly shows changes with dcm turned on but not when turned off, it drives me crazy because it soooooo unpredictable sometimed it only works with dcm turned on, sometimes it only works with dcm turned off, but no matter if it works in the programm monitor it always works with the export, its toally confusing I dont inow hot to handle it. How should I color correct the shadow areas when I only see the finished look after export, thst probably not the point of the feature is it? But when si turn off dcm I can use the gamma viewer but the colors are off obviously because I turned off dcm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solution????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am actually surprised you guys finally adressed this

all this time i was like....... isnt it like millions of people editing on macbooks everyday that get this issue ?

seemed like such a simple fix

and there was no way i was gonna add this stupid QT compensation LUT for one more year

but thanks you for the fix:) editing on premiere will be a little less painful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Just a question, if I edit on a Mac and the primary audience is Youtube, should I use 1.96 gamma, 2.2 or 2.4 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Leonard5EE1 

Primary audience is YouTube: 2.2

Primary audience is Broadcast: 2.4

Primary audience is QuickTime Player: 1.96

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources