• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Size excessive from Premiere Rush

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen posts elsewhere complaining about the excessively large file size created by Premiere Pro, eg thread "Estimated File size 322MB, Real File size 1.6GB" ), and I'm finding the same issue in Rush (Windows 10 Desktop version).   Yes I have read all the posts about reducing quality etc., but the file size is still excessive.    Unfortunately the solution of turning off hardware encoding as I have seen in a couple of forums including the thread above cannot be done in Rush as the option does not exist.        So... any solutions ?      Just for comparison, I did exactly the same project in the Windows 10 Photos App (yes you can edit Videos in there!)   and the output file size was much more sensible, and yes I was comparing apples to apples in terms of the codec and quality etc. as closely as possible.    Unfortunately the App doesn't quite have all the features I want. hence looking at Rush

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, Teams recording, input 112MB, no change of resolution or framerate, original lenght was 46 minutes, trimmed 12 min from the beginning, the resulting file size set to automatic is 4501MB... If I manually degrade everything to the lowest quality and resolution, it goes down to 650MB. Had this problem earlier too, but hoped, that Adobe finally resolves it in the not so cheap CC package we use, but apparently nothing changed. I move away from Adobe solutions for video, can't afford to reencode everything just to get to an acceptable size with same quality on the end... No cookies for you, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this problem. I just did some trimming for 4 videos with no issue, now the 5th one is taking a 872.5 MB video and blowing it up to at least 8859 MB. Literally 10X as big. No added effects or text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though there appears to still be no resolution, I wanted to just add onto the conversation by saying that I'm having the same problem as everyone else. Rendering is taking forever since the files are so large. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep still same issues in July of 2022. 600 MB file size, took out 30 minutes of the file that were not needed and boom... 2.5 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem and most of the time I just put up with it, but on Tuesday I edited a file that ended up as 4.76GB (fram a start of approx 1GB), then today I performed the same operations (cutting parts out and adding a fade when I did so) - and a similar number of operations on a similar size video - and it has grown to 18.1GB and is completely unusable. I would love to find a solution to this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I will try to explain what's going on with source file sizes and exported file sizes and why they can be confusing when the exported file is much larger.

A highly compressed source file from a mobile phone is usually smaller than an exported H.264 file, (especially if it contains additional music, titles, or effects). However, a source file from a RED cinema camera can be larger than an exported H.264 file.

When exporting, a new video must be created using different encoders and tech built into Premiere Pro. Encoding files in Premiere Pro uses different tech than that used to record the files in an iPhone or RED camera. So, the export file sizes are bound to be different than the source file sizes.

The export settings are the things that determine a video's exported file size, not the source file size. If you need to reduce the video file size, you can use different export settings for smaller frame sizes, lower bit rates, a different codec (HEVC, for example), etc. 

It is difficult to adjust your expectations about the exported file size. This is especially the case when you have a compressed source file from a mobile phone and expect your export to be around the same size, and that just doesn't happen.

I hope the info I provided helps you understand the dynamics.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding, Kevin. My concern is that I and so many who posted here are using the absolute lowest export settings (this is from Premiere Rush and not Premiere Pro, by the way--though they probably use the same codecs) and finding the files at the very lowest settings to be huge. Much bigger by far than any other video editing platforms.

And again, many clients/projects have hosting/memory limits. For instance, Vimeo Plus would allow only 1 Premiere Rush-exported video per week to upload. This is a serious performance issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin, I'd like to reinforce one point that devrap makes; "Much bigger by far than any other video editing platforms."   So regardless of the source video format, other platforms can edit and export to a reasonable file size (including the Windows 10 Photos app, which is hardly the most sophisticated), whereas in Rush, even choosing the lowest settings results very large files.  So the take-away is not "it can't be done" but Rush can/will not do it, which is a serious deficiency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Richard,

You are free to adjust the settings in Media Encoder for lower file size. Create your own preset. Again, the exported H.264 will always be larger than the H.264 source.  

It is not a good idea to compare editing applications specifics as they are all based on different tech and can vary widely because of your choices for export. 

Not satisfied with my response? Sorry. Contact the team and request a feature for lower-res options for export here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media Encoder settings are not used by Premier Rush. Premier Rush uses it's own presets. Here are the only options when exporting a video from Premier Rush:

Resolution:

• 720p HD
  • 1080p Full HD
  • 2160p 4K Ultra HD

Frame Rate:

• Automatic (23.976)

Audio Channels:

• Mono
  • Stereo
  • No Audio

Quality:

• Low
  • Medium
  • High

Premier Rush has no other options for video export settings. It does not allow users to select presets from Media Encoder.

It seems like all your answers here have been about Premier Pro. We're not talking about Premier Pro; we're talking about Premier Rush. It's almost as if Adobe support doesn't know that Premier Rush exists. Or pretends it doesn't to avoid addressing the problem. This issue has been a problem since the introduction of Premier Rush in 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, jshaha,

Got it. Sorry about that. I work most of the time in Premiere Pro but also help out on Rush. I know Rush; I use It frequently and like it. I misspoke when I talked about the export settings. My own workflow is Rush > Premiere Pro > Media Encoder. If only everyone could access more choices, like Media Encoder. You can go the Media Encoder route if can access all Creative Cloud apps. Alas, not everyone has that plan.

The Rush export presets should work for you, but you can ask for better controls on User Voice if they still won't work.

Check out this feature request: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/916423-premiere-rush/suggestions/35838850-custom-export-opt...

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that the files are huge even at the lowest setting. If I use Rush to cut 4 minutes out of a 10 minute video, the resulting file will often be 3-4x the original video's size. Even if my export settings reduce the quality and resolution. I find it incredibly frustrating that this has been an ongoing issue for several years now, with many customers reporting it to Adobe, yet Adobe still doesn't seem to understand the substance of the complaint. It's starting to feel like Adobe is pretending to not understand so that they don't have to fix their faulty software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, jshaha. Please share your export settings. I can check them out. Maybe I can help. In video editing, large file sizes are the norm. I am sorry for the surprise. I apologize that your files will never be as small as the highly compressed camera originals too. If that is unacceptable information, you can let the product team know about it here, As this is a user-to-user forum, "the product team" probably won't see your response here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re missing the point. Despite using Premier Rush for simple editing tasks, I am not a novice when it comes to video editing. I am aware that large file sizes are the norm. If you read through the comments here, you’ll see that we’re not simply complaining about the large file sizes one can generally expect when working with video files. We’re complaining about importing small video files that export as ridiculously large video files.

Here’s a real-world example:

• I import a 720p, 1hr19m, mp4 video, that’s 235MB into Premier Rush.
  • I cut half of the video.
  • I export the 40 minute project as 720p mp4 with “low” quality.
  • The exported video is 993MB.

That shouldn’t happen. And it doesn’t happen with other video editing or encoding software from other brands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jshaha,

Sorry about that. You can let the product team how you feel in a bug report on User Voice. This is largely a user-to-user forum with little interaction from the Rush product team. Sorry, I can't do more to help you solve this bug/feature request. 

I will continue to advocate for this issue as much as I can.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Kevin,

I acknowledge your effort to silence this topic by ignoring the problem itself and feeding us BS. Nobody needs to post you more settings, or any other input, all information is available in the several topics about this clearly existing issue. Please read it carefully, as obviously you haven't done so before posting this answer already marked as "correct". I understand, that as an Adobe employee your job is to calm us and pretend that the software is just good as is, and all problems are on the user side. 

While you're doing this I'm avoiding Adobe for video editing whenever I can even despite it's good editing capabilities or involve other 3rd party software in the finalizing steps to achieve good quality and acceptable file size instead of poor quality with lowest setings and still extensive file size. This, for me could be the first step to abandon Adobe completely for other solutions where I get what I need and will be taken seriously by support team if I might post about a problem. 

It's quite funny to see your post marked as correct answer as it just dodges the topic, but doesn't resolve it... 

I'd attach example videos, but obviously it's quite impossible to get them to acceptable size below 47 MB using Premiere Rush. 😄 I'd propose to increase the max attachment size in Premiere Rush topics to at least 2 GB, so we can use it. 😄 😄 Or maybe fix Premiere Rush to do it's job properly... 😉

Regards,

Szilard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Szilard,

Sorry, I'm only trying to help. Since I'm not on the product team (I'm in support), there's not much I can do but try troubleshooting and point people to the bug report site: User Voice.

If you consider this a bug in the software, please file that on User Voice, where the product team responds to bugs. You can also upvote a popular feature request you can find using search. Sorry for the frustration. If I could write up some code and fix this now, I would.

I can take your suggestion and remove my post as an accepted solution as I now understand its scope is larger than my original explanation.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can´t believe that´s still the Case. :(( This file sizes are not acepptable to use online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mictic,

I am sorry that the file sizes are unacceptable for you. Please file a feature request here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also experienced the increased file sizes from Adobe Premier Rush. Trimming a short 7.5 MB clip ballooned to 21.3 MB. Investigating landed me on this thread. Inspired by the original post from @richardd31820739, I used the native Windows 10 Photos App to trim an additional fraction from the video and used the "Save a copy" function. That again reduced the video to just 7.2 MB. Clearly, something is amiss with Premiere Rush, but this might be a workaround for some people until Adobe gets the problem resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi M,

If you just need to trim a clip, check out quick actions in Adobe Express. https://helpx.adobe.com/express/using/trim-video.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip; however, my main point was to simply point out that using another editor aside from Adobe Premier Rush to trim a slight amount will correct the file size issue we're all experiencing.

That said, I still need to explore other Adobe video editing tools, though I'm hesitant to pursue that for fear that they'll offer the same file size concerns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey M,

Importing a file into Premiere Rush will get transcoded. The resulting file will be larger than expected in any case. That's just the way it is. Sorry!

Some open-source tools, like FFMPEG, can trim H.264 or HEVC source files that might perform a "trim media (consolidating)" task without transcoding. Premiere Pro or Media Encoder cannot do such things because of their respective architectures. Does this interest you? It's certainly worth checking out.

I suggest you check out Shutter Encoder, the current darling for providing a shell for FFMPEG commands. It's freeware and worth downloading for such tasks. Sometimes Adobe tools are just what you need. Other times, it might be better to change up your current workflow, even if the tools are free. I often use Shutter Encoder in concert with Adobe tools in some of my more established workflows. You may want to look into that.

Feel free to consult with the community and me for such questions. Cheers.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines