• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I unassociate/unlink different video layers?

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I unassociate/unlink different video layers? It's quite annoying, different video layers are just randomly linking themselves, so whenever I try to cut, move along the timeline or delete one of them, the one above (or sometimes all videos above) will behave accordingly.

TOPICS
Desktop version , How to , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

You have to lock the layer that outht to stay in place. Then you can move the other layer freely. You can lock a layer by expanding the layer view on the bottom left (three bars) and then click the lock symbol on the layer you want to lock.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

@Sapatus Agreed, but if it's the main/default layer that you need to move, locking all other layers will still not allow you to move the clips down the timeline. See my video attached: The main layer in which other layers are linked to with that orange line bounces back to its original place even with everything else locked. How do I solve this or do I need to start over?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to lock the layer that outht to stay in place. Then you can move the other layer freely. You can lock a layer by expanding the layer view on the bottom left (three bars) and then click the lock symbol on the layer you want to lock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot - it was right there in front of me the whole time and I didn't notice the lock icon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sapatus Agreed, but if it's the main/default layer that you need to move, locking all other layers will still not allow you to move the clips down the timeline. See my video attached: The main layer in which other layers are linked to with that orange line bounces back to its original place even with everything else locked. How do I solve this or do I need to start over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mofzpo 

Thanks for writing. Sapatus provided the solution to work around associated clips. We are considering making this more flexible in the future.

All the best, 

Peter 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with how annoying the linking feature is! So glad I could find a solution here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the most annoying feature!! Please fix it Adobe. I am halfway through my project otherwise I would just quit and use a different program. I want to be able to move my clips freely around without them being linked to any other clip randomly. Its incredibly annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines